• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 161 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Robert Millar think he is overtrained contrary to many people here thinking he does not have enough training.

His climbing ability was also average and the Sicilian is certainly not in the form we expected, given all the hype over his preparation at altitude on Mount Teide. Fortunately he hasn't lost his ability to read a race and knows when to attack. But he just didn't have the legs to make an attack and so when Froome and Contador opened up, the Italian was quickly found wanting. He was not isolated because he had Astana teammates around him and they won the team prize. I think he looked tired, dare I say jaded, perhaps over-trained.

I don't know what he has changed this year in terms of his preparation but it isn't working for him yet and with three weeks to go he must be slightly worried.

Good points: Nibali is tactically smart and knows when to attack, he is an excellent descender and also has a strong team that is dedicated to his cause. However he's looking frayed at the edges.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/ro...alysis-of-the-three-tour-de-france-contenders

webbie146 said:
Birdsong should STFU already. If he has problems with Nibs he should tell him in person. Not go to some news paper and whine like a little ***** behind his back.

Do you know danish, well good then otherwise i encourage you to STFU and stop whining online over something you dont even understand.

I for one interpret the interview as quite tounge in cheek but a little pointed from the paper for sake of exposure.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is the first time hearing that he needs someone to watch and advise what he eats. It is a bit funny how Fuglsang worded it - I don't speak Danish but it reads like he was trying to be funny, not so much mocking or insulting.

Nibbles certainly did not have a problem with weight or "being thick" any other year I remember watching him. He is usually in super form (thinking of Giro 2013).

I have no idea but maybe this is a new paradox he is having to manage: the need to lose some weight but he wants pizza...anyway that was how Fuglsang put it and Fuglsang has a hard time understanding - that's just naive of Jakob. Plenty of people, top athletes as well, struggle with adding weight now and then.

Again, Nibali just got married and had his first baby - I think he is having a time of just being temporarily off his usual disciplines. He will be in better shape, just in time - that is what I am counting on, anyway. ;)

You guys think becoming a pro athlete stops you from wanting a pizza?
Have you ever talked to a pro rider, or even a retired one? Do you know how much they eat and still how deeply they suffer hunger throughout their lives?

I met riders who claimed they wanted to cry before the start of off-season because they knew they had to stop eating.

maxmartin said:
Robert Millar think he is overtrained contrary to many people here thinking he does not have enough training.

His climbing ability was also average and the Sicilian is certainly not in the form we expected, given all the hype over his preparation at altitude on Mount Teide. Fortunately he hasn't lost his ability to read a race and knows when to attack. But he just didn't have the legs to make an attack and so when Froome and Contador opened up, the Italian was quickly found wanting. He was not isolated because he had Astana teammates around him and they won the team prize. I think he looked tired, dare I say jaded, perhaps over-trained.

I don't know what he has changed this year in terms of his preparation but it isn't working for him yet and with three weeks to go he must be slightly worried.

Good points: Nibali is tactically smart and knows when to attack, he is an excellent descender and also has a strong team that is dedicated to his cause. However he's looking frayed at the edges.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/ro...alysis-of-the-three-tour-de-france-contenders

Sort of reminds me of Hesjedal at the beginning of last year's Giro. He just looks flat, could have over trained, I agree. Hesjedal said he just had no power when the attacks started. I have a feeling that this year's Tour is going to be a keen contest. Froome will have to fight harder this year so it's a shame that Nibali can't find his best form, not yet anyway.

BqZs09cIQAAKVZ7.jpg

No problem with Birdsong, happy bunch! And Nibs is already slimmer!

Was just going to comment on the 'Birdsong Article'.
Honestly, I think he meant it in a nice way, sort of like: "Vincenzo is a really nice guy and a great rider. He's just a bit of a doof sometimes."

Actually though, when I first read the headline What goes on in your head, Nibali? (or something like that) I thought it was gonna be some rant about how Nibali hadn't shown himself to be a GC contender this year, and that Fuglsang should have a chance in more races.

This just shows that Nibali is a human being, who sometimes wants dessert, or pizza.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Was just going to comment on the 'Birdsong Article'.
Honestly, I think he meant it in a nice way, sort of like: "Vincenzo is a really nice guy and a great rider. He's just a bit of a doof sometimes."

Actually though, when I first read the headline What goes on in your head, Nibali? (or something like that) I thought it was gonna be some rant about how Nibali hadn't shown himself to be a GC contender this year, and that Fuglsang should have a chance in more races.

This just shows that Nibali is a human being, who sometimes wants dessert, or pizza.

I really dont see it being meant in a nice way. Imo he criticizes Nibali for having to be babysat regarding food etc, since he, according to Fuglsang, doesnt have the right descipline. Of course the full context of the interview might soften it up, but its hard for me to see how that piece can be turned into something postive.

SafeBet said:
You guys think becoming a pro athlete stops you from wanting a pizza?
Have you ever talked to a pro rider, or even a retired one? Do you know how much they eat and still how deeply they suffer hunger throughout their lives?

I met riders who claimed they wanted to cry before the start of off-season because they knew they had to stop eating.

Really?

Every year when I start cycling during the summer, and it's not even serious, I can easily give up fast food and sweets. I just tell myself when I'm on a hill that if I don't eat fast food it will be easier next time, and after that my brain is reluctant to touch any such food. Lose craving for it totally.

It's shocking to me that people who can go through so much suffering and push their bodies to such limits are slaves to this most overrated and short lasting pleasure. To have to work so much harder and hurt so much more on the hill in exchange for 2 seconds of pizza on the tongue, seems silly to me.

Of all the sacrifices a cyclist has to make, this should be by far the easiest.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Really?

Every year when I start cycling during the summer, and it's not even serious, I can easily give up fast food and sweets. I just tell myself when I'm on a hill that if I don't eat fast food it will be easier next time, and after that my brain is reluctant to touch any such food. Lose craving for it totally.

It's shocking to me that people who can go through so much suffering and push their bodies to such limits are slaves to this most overrated and short lasting pleasure. To have to work so much harder and hurt so much more on the hill in exchange for 2 seconds of pizza on the tongue, seems silly to me.

very good post,I agree indeed it should be easier for them.Im almost in the same situation,with exception I dont eat fast food,but too much sweet,so I have to give up on it,and on lot of alcohol of course

The Hitch said:
Really?

Well, for some, it's not. Different people work in different ways, I guess.

I could sacrifice pretty much everything if I was in that position. Alcohol, smoking, staying up late, even sex. But if I had the temptation of a cassata after a 100km ride, no, I wouldn't be able to leave it.
And many pro athletes are exactly like me, hence the need for someone to overlook them. It's not that big of a deal, really. It's been like that since sport went professional.

Lets set aside his new born baby & duties inherited to it-- I truly believe the nature of his current problems is his training switch that is causing his lack of form- I just cannot comprehend how he went from a superb 2013 form Giro winner & Vuelta runner-up to an empty basket this year.......

I sincerely wish & hope Nibbs will prove us doubters all wrong & blast this coming Tour with results-not necessarily winning it, but at least a stage win+fierce attacks & competition to top it with a podium spot... that's all :)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
"They're already at their best and can't improve anymore," Slongo suggested to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Nibali has to reach 100% during the first week of the Tour de France, there's still a month until the key mountain stages of the Tour. I would have been worried if Nibali had been at his best at the Dauphine."

How did Mr. Slongo get this conclusion??? I do hope he is right though. LOL CF said he will lose another KILO before the Tour. So Nibali has more than that weight to lose.

TRENDING THREADS