• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 179 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
Scared on the cobbles, yes. Mechanical, meh, same as 4 years ago? Contador always has an excuse.

That is very true, but he was grinding a huge gear. It is plausible that he couldn't shift anymore and got stuck in a big gear. I mean, even on a bad day, he should be able to hang on to a group on the flat. Either way, he was definitely scared.

LaFlorecita said:
That is very true, but he was grinding a huge gear. It is plausible that he couldn't shift anymore and got stuck in a big gear. I mean, even on a bad day, he should be able to hang on to a group on the flat. Either way, he was definitely scared.

He is very light, ready for the high mountains it is obvious he was taking it very careful and in the end even hanging for dear life. Unfortunately for him Nibali attacked this stage and basically destroyed all the GC contenders field. I don't think that stage is relevant to Contador's form.

LaFlorecita said:
There are no concerns at all. Just speculation among rival teams. Wishful thinking on their part and also on yours.. The reason he lost time is because he didn't want to take risks (was scared probably) and because he had a mechanical in the last 20k. Contador is a 7 time GT champion, he knows how to time his peak right. He's never misstimed his peak, and why would he do so this time with De Jongh and Riis guiding him? :confused:

It makes sense that Contador would not want a bike change on the cobbles and lose contact with the bunch but he had teammates with him. I think it was worth changing bikes especially if that was the only problem. It may have been a critical error especially if he loses the race by a narrow margin. Some people said hunger knock but if that was the case he would have lost a lot more than two minutes. As for Contador never mistiming his peak what happened in the 2013 Tour ? Although it has to be admitted that Contador was not himself for most of last season.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

I couldn't watch the stage live but watching a replay of the last 20kms I had the impression that his cadence was higher than that of riders around him in cobbled as well as in non-cobbled sections.

movingtarget said:
As for Contador never mistiming his peak what happened in the 2013 Tour ? Although it has to be admitted that Contador was not himself for most of last season.

Contador never peaked last year......

The perfect battle is set up in this race. Nibali came here to Win, he has the same attacking mentality as Contador and doesn't want anything except the top step. He will not ride for a podium. Plus he is riding like a Boss and taking every advantage he can. I wouldn't be surprised if he attacked in the Vosges stages! He doesn't know the meaning of fear :)

Contador of course never rides for anything but the win and hasn't hit his terrain yet. When he does we'll see just how good Nibali is. 2:30 can be made up by an in form Contador, it is by no means insurmountable. But getting rid of the Shark won't be easy! He is all grit and determination!

This is the Perfect Storm. Two riders who will turn themselves inside out for the top step and aren't worried about defending 2nd place. I thought Nibali would need ~2:00 to be Even with Contador. So he has 2:30 let the games begin!!!

I'm happy to say I can cheer both of them and revel in a win by either. They are my two favorite riders, with Berto getting the edge in my affections. But Nibs in Yellow makes me Grin every single day :)

icefire said:
I couldn't watch the stage live but watching a replay of the last 20kms I had the impression that his cadence was higher than that of riders around him in cobbled as well as in non-cobbled sections.

That's consistent with what he said was his mechanical problem - he said his smaller cogs were blocked with mud.

icefire said:

yetiyeti said:
That's consistent with what he said was his mechanical problem - he said his smaller cogs were blocked with mud.

Oops, my mistake. I was going off what I'd read somewhere :) I didn't notice something very strange during the race but then again I was stressing out :D

movingtarget said:
It makes sense that Contador would not want a bike change on the cobbles and lose contact with the bunch but he had teammates with him. I think it was worth changing bikes especially if that was the only problem. It may have been a critical error especially if he loses the race by a narrow margin. Some people said hunger knock but if that was the case he would have lost a lot more than two minutes. As for Contador never mistiming his peak what happened in the 2013 Tour ? Although it has to be admitted that Contador was not himself for most of last season.

Regarding a bike change, we don't know how far back the team car was, there were groups all over the place so perhaps it would have cost more time to change bikes. The only teammate with him was Bennati, he's a fair bit taller so not sure if that would have been an option.

LaFlorecita said:
Regarding a bike change, we don't know how far back the team car was, there were groups all over the place so perhaps it would have cost more time to change bikes. The only teammate with him was Bennati, he's a fair bit taller so not sure if that would have been an option.

Same issue for Valverde. He swapped bikes with a team mate and the seat post was 2.5cm lower. But he couldn't wait for the car as it would take 3-4 minutes to get through. And you can't draft back behind the car like on a regular stage.

In hindsight it would have been better to keep a spare bike at the feedzone.

thehog said:
Same issue for Valverde. He swapped bikes with a team mate and the seat post was 2.5cm lower. But he couldn't wait for the car as it would take 3-4 minutes to get through. And you can't draft back behind the car like on a regular stage.

In hindsight it would have been better to keep a spare bike at the feedzone.

Riders are not allowed to take bikes from the roadside I think. Have to come from the car.

Carols said:
Contador never peaked last year......

The perfect battle is set up in this race. Nibali came here to Win, he has the same attacking mentality as Contador and doesn't want anything except the top step. He will not ride for a podium. Plus he is riding like a Boss and taking every advantage he can. I wouldn't be surprised if he attacked in the Vosges stages! He doesn't know the meaning of fear :)

Contador of course never rides for anything but the win and hasn't hit his terrain yet. When he does we'll see just how good Nibali is. 2:30 can be made up by an in form Contador, it is by no means insurmountable. But getting rid of the Shark won't be easy! He is all grit and determination!

This is the Perfect Storm. Two riders who will turn themselves inside out for the top step and aren't worried about defending 2nd place. I thought Nibali would need ~2:00 to be Even with Contador. So he has 2:30 let the games begin!!!

I'm happy to say I can cheer both of them and revel in a win by either. They are my two favorite riders, with Berto getting the edge in my affections. But Nibs in Yellow makes me Grin every single day :)

Yes it's set up now for a real battle from Saturday onwards. What would have been even more interesting was if Froome was also two minutes down and still in the race but that's history now.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yes it's set up now for a real battle from Saturday onwards. What would have been even more interesting was if Froome was also two minutes down and still in the race but that's history now.

Froom won't be two mins down, more like at least 10mins down if he had the guts to keep riding on that stage

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm worried about Vincenzo's help in the mountains the more I watch this Tour. Kangert showed in last year he isn't going to bury himself completely as he likes to keep a high placing in GC. Birdsong made it clear on ES today that he's targeting a top 5 finish, and Scarponi hasn't shown too much form thus far. Thankfully it seems like Westra will be a great helper. Grivko too.

And hopefully Vino just scares Jakob into working hard for Nibbles when he needs it.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Carols said:
Some of it may be Luck but most is his bike handling skills :D

Did you watch his reaction to TJVG beginning to go down? He (Nibali) must be on high alert - great reaction / bike handling / with a bit of luck added ;)

TRENDING THREADS