• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 199 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rollthedice said:
One of my favorite quotes this year, hear again what Wiggo said when Bertie was still in the race:

Wiggo only said that because Nibs used him as Shark Bait, ate him up and spit him out :)

IMO it would have been a bitter 3 way battle ending with 1-Contador 2-Nibali 3-Froome. But that is Pure Speculation.

Meanwhile I'm just going to enjoy the race that is happening now and wish Vincenzo a continued glorious ride!!!

Rollthedice said:
This debate can go on forever. And some people tend to forget deliberately that in the competition was also Froome. So if we go by the logic what if, he has to be in the equation. Regarding that stage, it was a steep uphill sprint, Contador was going for the stage, Nibs cracked in the last 50m. Nothing to show he could not hold his wheel on different climbs, like yesterdays or PdBF.

One of my favorite quotes this year, hear again what Wiggo said when Bertie was still in the race:

That's why it's called a debate. Contador showed a flash of power that the Italian lacked in that critical moment. Period.

This signifies, given that AC is, well, AC, that it was reasonable to presume that the Spaniard would have placed the Sicilian in difficulty in the high mountains (like no one else currently in the race has been able to do). Period.

I didn't consider Froome, because he was by that point out of the race and we neither saw him on the cobbles, nor in the mountains. Of course had he, too, still been in the race, the equation becomes more complex. Based on what we saw last year, it is thus also reasonable to hypothesize that, if in the same condition, he would have also caused Nibali to suffer more than he has had to against his actual rivals. Period.

Personally I think Contador had the means to ultimately outgun Nibali and, with Froome in the race, there would have been a great struggle between them.

Of course, Nibali is on great form and he certainly would have in any case been able to play his cards even with those two still in the race. However, if each is firing on all 4 cylinders then I say the Sicilian gets third.

I could be wrong naturally, but don't accuse me of being unreasonable, or deny me the right to speculate.

Some find it pointless. Fair enough, but it's part of the game when the two biggest candidates for victory go home early not because of a lack of form, but for terrible sorts.

And I don't think Wiggins' opinion is correct. While it's rather shocking, given Contador's form, that the Briton could actually come to the conclusion that Nibali was that superior. Seems like self-aggrandizement if you ask me. That is to downplay the superiority of both Contador and Froome over himself, by making out the man who got third in his Tour to be this dominator (which is rather cynical, if not vile).

Hell, Nibali's biggest rival on paper at the Giro last year was Wiggins himself, after he won an easy Tour and he wasn't even the strongest rider. :D

Pippo_San said:
Froome and Contador up until now have been beaten fair and square.
DEAL
WITH
IT.

Have they been DSQ? No
Were they caught in clinic things? No
Did someone make them crash? No FFS

DEAL
WITH
IT.

Enough is enough. If they can't handle certain conditions, blame on them. That's pro cycling for you.
I second, fair and square is right. Avoiding crashes is part of racing. DEAL WITH IT! :D

cineteq said:
You're right, you can all speculate, I love your observation ;)

Thanks.

bambino said:
Maybe they would be less aggressive, if you guys would stop hyping AC in Nibbs topic like you yourself shouted Nibbs fans to stop hype him in AC topic?

Nobody is hyping him here. All I can see is that there are some people who say they doubt Nibali would have beaten Contador. It's not even close to what Nibali fans were posting in the AC thread.

LaFlorecita said:
Thanks.

Nobody is hyping him here. All I can see is that there are some people who say they doubt Nibali would have beaten Contador. It's not even close to what Nibali fans were posting in the AC thread.

Yeah and there was exactly the same debate 2-3 days ago in AC topic which you guys stopped by saying it is AC topic, not Nibbs. So I think with same logic....

bambino said:
I have no difficulties to deal with stubbern dutch, but it seems some others here does ;) - but don't play superior (although I know you guys sometimes can't help it), if you defend your own castle the same way.

No one is playing superior, but if you can't see that, or can't see the difference between what Nibali fans said in the AC thread, and Contador fans in this thread, it's no use discussing this with you anymore. Sorry.:)

LaFlorecita said:
No one is playing superior, but if you can't see that, or can't see the difference between what Nibali fans said in the AC thread, and Contador fans in this thread, it's no use discussing this with you anymore. Sorry.:)

Yep, as I said earlier, you're right anyway, so agree it is pointless to debate.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Parrulo said:
I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread lately so maybe this already been answered.

How are the italians reacting to Nibs Tour win?

Pirlo-wine.jpg

Parrulo said:
I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread lately so maybe this already been answered.

How are the italians reacting to Nibs Tour win?

Initially the fact that neither Froome, nor Contador were in the race as the crucial moment approached was weighed in to his possible overall victory. However, after his dominating performance that has been quickly forgotten and has naturally given way to a rhetoric of triumph and that his example should be the pride of every Italian and Italy.

Then the usual discussion regarding his and Pantani's styles and ways of racing.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
A gift to Majka. Tinkoff should be happy.

he is in the right place and the right time, and VN needs some rest to prepare for hard Pyreness. I keep my prediction, one more stage in Pyreness, and win the final ITT or get very close to Tony.

maxmartin said:
he is in the right place and the right time, and VN needs some rest to prepare for hard Pyreness. I keep my prediction, one more stage in Pyreness, and win the final ITT or get very close to Tony.
I hope he descends all the way to victory on stage 16 Carcassonne → Bagnères-de-Luchon. Think Van Garderen will be ahead of him in the ITT. Martin should win this with his eyes closed after what he's shown thus far.

TRENDING THREADS