• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
alin.constantin89 said:
http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/...i-my-goal-was-to-gain-time-over-valverde.html

Nibali "...I beat Froome and Contador at almost all the races I did with them..." :)

Thanks. Haha looks like he is still interested in Giro Tour double. Presumably next year Giro should have a weaker field than this year.

Majka's victory here after he finished 6th in the Giro makes me think that it's possible to do both Grand Tours. I did them both when I was young but now I'm physically much more mature. My challenge for next year might well be to target Giro and Tour but I yet have to talk to my team. When we finish a season, we restart from scratch. It's not excluded that I'll be present at both Giro and Tour next year.

Hayabusa said:
The only races I can remember that Nibali beat Froome at last year would be Tirreno and the World Champs. Froome beat him at Oman, am I missing any?

Given the split between Giro-Vuelta and Tour plans they had, they didn't really cross paths.

Contador and Nibali raced San Luis, Oman and Tirreno together. In San Luis and Oman, Contador finished higher. In Tirreno, Nibali was better.

Froome and Nibali raced Oman and Tirreno together. Froome won Oman, Nibali Tirreno.

So not sure what Nibali is on about.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
My god, the lack of intelligence is these responses is astonishing. He was asked a question about whether he could have beaten AC and CF, and his response was that he beat both Froome and Contador in races last year. Which is true. How would you expect him to respond?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
My god, the lack of intelligence is these responses is astonishing. He was asked a question about whether he could have beaten AC and CF, and his response was that he beat both Froome and Contador in races last year. Which is true. How would you expect him to respond?

haha especially the response from ICEFIRE

whittashau said:

But he makes up things to justify his smack talking... surely he knows he only beat Contador and Froome at Tirreno?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Stage races, since we're talking about a stage race (TDF) here.

Besides, Contador was a domestique for the worlds.

My previous response wasn't aimed at you, but my point remains. He was asked a question, and he answered it. He clearly wasn't differentiating stage racers or GTs. The quote shouldn't be blown out of proportion.

LaFlorecita said:

Yeah you do. Though I don't see Nibs talking only stage races, do you? At the end you claim you don't get what he is talking about by publishing your list, which apparently seems to be true.

As usual, words taken out of context. Here's what CN quoted (Nibali speaks Italian so I am personally not 100% that this is what he said):

"Last year, I won virtually all the races I rode, where there were often also Alberto Contador and Chris Froome. The only race I didn't ride was the Tour. This year, I've come to the Tour with great form and so I don't think anything is cheapened. I've had a great season in 2013, winning the Giro d'Italia and finishing second at the Vuelta, I don't think I'm any lesser of a rider than Contador and Froome.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

not sure english translation is accurate, but there is no where in the article mentioning stage races. It is only your assumption he is referring to stage races. And you do assume a lot of things.:p

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Smack talking? Come on Flo - go read the article on the cyclingnews front page. He clearly was getting berated by journalists about this being a cheapened Tour and tried to defend himself.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Im glad Nibali is still on the offensive,he tries,that good.

After hours of thinking I invented the much anticipated new name for Nibali:D,no more lo squalo (at least for his non-fans) but from this Tour, Il Felice;)

TRENDING THREADS