• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
whittashau said:
My god, the lack of intelligence is these responses is astonishing. He was asked a question about whether he could have beaten AC and CF, and his response was that he beat both Froome and Contador in races last year. Which is true. How would you expect him to respond?

When you start making assumptions about GTs based on results from 1 week races... Richie Porte is a GT contender :rolleyes:

I think the Nibali thread has more Contador fans in it than Nibali ones lol

Wasn't able to catch the stage live, but it seemed like a good conservative ride today. Put time on everyone that matters again and didn't expend too much energy doing so. Time for a couple of easy days and avoiding accidents, and then room to go wild on 16/17/18.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eclipse said:
I think the Nibali thread has more Contador fans in it than Nibali ones lol

Wasn't able to catch the stage live, but it seemed like a good conservative ride today. Put time on everyone that matters again and didn't expend too much energy doing so. Time for a couple of easy days and avoiding accidents, and then room to go wild on 16/17/18.
This has a reason.:eek:

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Sure. Still no need to belittle his rivals. Wiggins' bone idle ****ers speech didn't make him more likeable either.

He didn't belittle his rivals. However, if you just want to contort things in your head and take things out of context that is your prerogative.

whittashau said:
He didn't belittle his rivals. However, if you just want to contort things in your head and take things out of context that is your prerogative.

I'm sorry, but that's how I read it. It might be the translation.

"I don't see why my lead at the Tour de France would be less valuable because Alberto Contador and Chris Froome aren't here anymore. "

"Oleg Tinkoff said Alberto would be in yellow by now without his crash, we all know Tinkoff's temper. "

"Last year I won the Giro, I came second at the Vuelta and I beat Froome and Contador at almost all the races I did with them.”

In other words, I would have beat CF and AC anyway so my victory will be just as valuable, and Tinkov is a fool so his words are meaningless.

And if he was actually correct by saying he beat CF and AC at almost all races he did with them, I could accept it. But he's just making it up.

But like I said it might be the translation.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I'm sorry, but that's how I read it. It might be the translation.

"I don't see why my lead at the Tour de France would be less valuable because Alberto Contador and Chris Froome aren't here anymore. "

"Oleg Tinkoff said Alberto would be in yellow by now without his crash, we all know Tinkoff's temper. "

"Last year I won the Giro, I came second at the Vuelta and I beat Froome and Contador at almost all the races I did with them.”

In other words, I would have beat CF and AC anyway so my victory will be just as valuable, and Tinkov is a fool so his words are meaningless.

And if he was actually correct by saying he beat CF and AC at almost all races he did with them, I could accept it. But he's just making it up.

But like I said it might be the translation.

"Last year, I won virtually all the races I rode, where there were often also Alberto Contador and Chris Froome. The only race I didn't ride was the Tour. This year, I've come to the Tour with great form and so I don't think anything is cheapened. I've had a great season in 2013, winning the Giro d'Italia and finishing second at the Vuelta, I don't think I'm any lesser of a rider than Contador and Froome.

Implying that he won most races he did last year. And that AC or CF were often racing in those races.

The term often is clearly debatable, but to say that he was smack talking would be laughable.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I like how Nibali is taking advantage of the fact that Tinkov is known to be eccentric/cranky to conclude that the russian is wrong.... but Tinkov is actually right this time.

And Nibali didn't beat CF and AC in every race they faced in 2013, this is completely false and AC was having an off year anyway so he just can't make a conclusion out of last year.
And what about this year? Which is what is really relevant, he pretty much lost every race against them, and by far. He got crushed.

whittashau said:
"Last year, I won virtually all the races I rode, where there were often also Alberto Contador and Chris Froome. The only race I didn't ride was the Tour. This year, I've come to the Tour with great form and so I don't think anything is cheapened. I've had a great season in 2013, winning the Giro d'Italia and finishing second at the Vuelta, I don't think I'm any lesser of a rider than Contador and Froome.

Implying that he won most races he did last year. And that AC or CF were often racing in those races.

The term often is clearly debatable, but to say that he was smack talking would be laughable.

He won 3/8 stage races, wouldn't call that virtually all races, but Nibali can decide what he says. It does sound a bit strange though. :)

Nibali is defending himself, I understand that, but it almost feels like he's trying to convince himself....

BlurryVII said:
I like how Nibali is taking advantage of the fact that Tinkov is known to be eccentric/cranky to conclude that the russian is wrong.... but Tinkov is actually right this time.

And Nibali didn't beat CF and AC in every race they faced in 2013, this is completely false and AC was having an off year anyway so he just can't make a conclusion out of last year.
And what about this year? Which is what is really relevant, he pretty much lost every race against them, and by far. He got crushed.

Where did you come from? It's not enough that we have to talk some sense into LaFlo and Ilovecycling?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I think people are taking things too literally. He also says the only race he didn't do is the Tour. He clearly was just making the point that he did beat both AC and Froome last year when he was in form. And that he believes he could have done it again

If people are going to take issue with that statement then there is something wrong with them.

LaFlorecita said:
You've got to agree though, that it sounds like he's saying he beat Contador and Froome a lot too. Since he says he won virtually all his races, and Contador and Froome were often present too.

No he's just saying that he is able to beat Contador and Froome and that he did so in the past. He also won GTs in the past. So he's saying that the remark that he is only winning because of absence of others is wrong. Which it is.

Besides, Contador and Froome could've been in Nibali's position but they crashed out, not Nibali's problem.

LaFlorecita said:
You've got to agree though, that it sounds like he's saying he beat Contador and Froome a lot too. Since he says he won virtually all his races, and Contador and Froome were often present too.

Give the man a break. The answer came after one dude asked him to look into his eyes and say he never met Dr Ferrari. How do you think Contador would have felt after some dude would have asked him if he has quit eating beef stakes?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
I've allways been of the opinion that Froomes 13 victory wasn't really that much to brag about. You know, AC had an off year, Nibbles in the giro, Vino retired and Pantani dead. I might have won that race to be honest.
Great post:D,on the other hand I dont fully agree.He is a great climber and tour'13 was almost '09 (better field obviously)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Give the man a break. The answer came after one dude asked him to look into his eyes and say he never met Dr Ferrari. How do you think Contador would have felt after some dude would have asked him if he has quit eating beef stakes?
yeah,Nibali is under pressure and those questions are difficult,I wouldnt read too much into that.

Arnout said:
No he's just saying that he is able to beat Contador and Froome and that he did so in the past. He also won GTs in the past. So he's saying that the remark that he is only winning because of absence of others is wrong. Which it is.

Besides, Contador and Froome could've been in Nibali's position but they crashed out, not Nibali's problem.

Who's saying it is? :confused: Nibali fans keep repeating this, but I haven't seen anyone actually say it. By the way I agree with the first part of your post, but it's not what I (and many others) read.

TRENDING THREADS