• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 202 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You've got to agree though, that it sounds like he's saying he beat Contador and Froome a lot too. Since he says he won virtually all his races, and Contador and Froome were often present too.

The quote also has him saying that the only race he didn't do was the Tour, but that isn't true either.

Clearly what he was trying to say - Last year he won lots, which includes beating AC and Froome, but he didn't ride the Tour. He doesn't feel inferior to them.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Where did you come from? It's not enough that we have to talk some sense into LaFlo and Ilovecycling?

What's your point? What Nibz stated is just wrong, do you know the facts or? Even in an Off year, Contador beat him in San luis and Oman. What about this year? How did Froome beat him in Oman and Romandie, can you remind me?

He is talking BS end of Story.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
whittashau said:
Nice, ignore useful posts and post more crap. Good job new guy.

Thanks! Just like you do.

He clearly said he won almost ALL the races he did against Froome and Contador, he still sounds arrogant and wrong. I entirely read what he said.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Thanks! Just like you do.

He clearly said he won almost ALL the races he did against Froome and Contador, he still sounds arrogant and wrong. I entirely read what he said.
He didn't. He said:"Last year, I won virtually all the races I rode, where there were often also Alberto Contador and Chris Froome. The only race I didn't ride was the Tour. This year, I've come to the Tour with great form and so I don't think anything is cheapened. I've had a great season in 2013, winning the Giro d'Italia and finishing second at the Vuelta, I don't think I'm any lesser of a rider than Contador and Froome.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Please Nibali do not do the Giro next year(dont wanna hear excuses). Come to the TDF and watch you get dropped like a weasel. You have never been in Contador's league. Contador on an off year last year would have ran him close in Giro his watts prove it. Both past 2 Giro winners watts were down. Quintana was stronger in TDF13 than the Giro this year.

And Froome don't even get me started in the 1 race Nibali won vs Froome, Froome made him look silly for most of the race. Nibali GT wins podium finshers. Mozquera(he was banned after), Velits(haha), Uran(lol) and Cadel Evans who has reputation but is past it. Froome's podium last year had 2 of the top 5 GT riders in world.

Contador has beaten peak Evans, Andy Schleck(was a beast) and loads of others. The top 10 will have one of the top 5 GT riders in world that isit. No Purito, Froome, Quintana and Contador, easy field.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
whittashau said:
He didn't. He said:"Last year, I won virtually all the races I rode, where there were often also Alberto Contador and Chris Froome. The only race I didn't ride was the Tour. This year, I've come to the Tour with great form and so I don't think anything is cheapened. I've had a great season in 2013, winning the Giro d'Italia and finishing second at the Vuelta, I don't think I'm any lesser of a rider than Contador and Froome.

So that's what I already read, thanks. He said in most of the races he won, there were AC and CF: Wrong
"The only race I didn't ride was the Tour" What is he implying? In his top form He'd have beaten Froome in Tour as well? lol.

And why didn't he mention this year?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There is some hypocrisy going on here, it's like when Alberto crashed, people immediately said Astana was waiting for him... in what parallel world?

People don't even know it was Lotto Bellisol who was pulling till Alberto's crash, and it was Lotto who drew off & decided to wait and slow down. 30 secs afterwards, Astana was already going ballistic in front. How could they have waited for Alberto? They were NOT pulling before his crash, and as if by chance, went in front after his crash. Of course, they had to chase Kwiato, who's a really threatening man in the GC :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
There is some hypocrisy going on here, it's like when Alberto crashed, people immediately said Astana was waiting for him... in what parallel world?

People don't even know it was Lotto Bellisol who was pulling till Alberto's crash, and it was Lotto who drew off & decided to wait and slow down. 30 secs afterwards, Astana was already going ballistic in front. How could they have waited for Alberto? They were NOT pulling before his crash, and as if by chance, went in front after his crash. Of course, they had to chase Kwiato, who's a really threatening man in the GC :rolleyes:

Astana didn't go ballistic at all. Not anywhere close to ballistic in fact. They did their duty on the front (the job of the team with the yellow jersey) and maintained pace. After a while they upped it so the break wouldn't be gaining any more time then they already were.

Astana weren't trying to gain any advantage on Contador after he crashed, so IMO they can't be blamed for the pace they set.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Afrank said:
Astana didn't go ballistic at all. Not anywhere close to ballistic in fact. They did their duty on the front (the job of the team with the yellow jersey) and maintained pace. After a while they upped it so the break wouldn't be gaining any more time then they already were.

Astana weren't trying to gain any advantage on Contador after he crashed, so IMO they can't be blamed for the pace they set.

That's where you're wrong, it was Gallopin who was in the Yellow jersey. Astana didn't have any duty to do, and they didn't pace the peloton before alberto's crash ONCE. Only after the unfortunate crash, they slowly moved up and started increasing the pace. Nibali didn't want Alberto to come back easily in the peloton, he wanted him to waste energy, he knew he was going to take a huge blow on belles filles, that's it.

BlurryVII said:

.... :eek::eek::eek:

TRENDING THREADS