• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 250 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rollthedice said:
Nibali attacked Contador and Froome group on a false flat portion if I remember while being 1'16'' down to Contador in GC. At some point he had over a minute on the road but didn't have the legs to finish what he started, hence being dropped by Contador who did a tremendous job riding alone and dropping everybody in the process. So, Nibali certainly played his cards to win but he was in no shape to do so.
Great training ride for Nibali that paid off big time a month later.

LaFlorecita said:
There are at least 2 people in this thread who disagree.
Namely, an overwhelming minority.

damian13ster said:
Thats fairly insignificant number, but there were many more people who disagree that Contador was the best cyclist of the year in 2014 (actually, majority disagreed but their votes were spread out among other cyclists), if you want to go down that road.

But still he got most votes. Haha :)

And you may call it an insignificant number, but I see Hitch disagrees with you, and I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Whats the difference? Yes, those stages were enjoyable, I had fun watching them, and they do deserve a place in the poll. However, they were nowhere close to stage 5 from the Tour de France. That was a stage of the year and there are no doubts about it.

Same here to the bolded. as to stage 5 TdF, that one rated not only best of 2014 but maybe even best since 2009, in my personal experience, anyway. being relatively new to following cycling, TdF stage 5 was a stage that showed me another perspective in the sport, one with more dimension - a real game changer, so to speak, if that makes any sense. :eek: :)

damian13ster said:
Whats the difference? Yes, those stages were enjoyable, I had fun watching them, and they do deserve a place in the poll. However, they were nowhere close to stage 5 from the Tour de France. That was a stage of the year and there are no doubts about it.

But there are. I know there are doubts, because I have them. This is an opinion, not objective truth.

Originally posted by Pigoonse: Same here to the bolded. as to stage 5 TdF, that one rated not only best of 2014 but maybe even best since 2009, in my personal experience, anyway. being relatively new to following cycling, TdF stage 5 was a stage that showed me another perspective in the sport, one with more dimension - a real game changer, so to speak, if that makes any sense.

I can totally understand this, pigoonse. I might not have chosen the stage as my out and out winner, but it certainly did put the cat among the pigeons and stir up the whole race. Who knows if it would have proved decisive? We were robbed of knowing the answer to that. But it certainly could have been, and for that alone, not to mention the bare-knuckle 'working down a coal mine' riding conditions made it a pretty exciting day. And there's no doubt Nibali rode bravely and bloody impressively, either. He definitely put down the gauntlet again that day.

Could have done without the 'elf n safety bleating about whether it should be allowed in a GT race that followed in some arenas, though, I must say.

Can one have an overwhelming minority, cineteq ? I think the whole point is that one can't… :D

tdf14-st5-WATSON_00003868-024-630x420.jpg

E.P.I.C.

deal with it !!!

Electress said:
But there are. I know there are doubts, because I have them. This is an opinion, not objective truth.

I can totally understand this, pigoonse. I might not have chosen the stage as my out and out winner, but it certainly did put the cat among the pigeons and stir up the whole race. Who knows if it would have proved decisive? We were robbed of knowing the answer to that. But it certainly could have been, and for that alone, not to mention the bare-knuckle 'working down a coal mine' riding conditions made it a pretty exciting day. And there's no doubt Nibali rode bravely and bloody impressively, either. He definitely put down the gauntlet again that day.

Could have done without the 'elf n safety bleating about whether it should be allowed in a GT race that followed in some arenas, though, I must say.

Can one have an overwhelming minority, cineteq ? I think the whole point is that one can't… :D

Good post! As usual :)

Yep, he must be female then, because Contador was elected best male rider of the year far ahead of Nibali by the very same readers.

Instead, the difference is probably caused by July fans who will always vote for the Tour winner in both categories, while some of the general cycling fans will have switched over from Contador to a female rider for the rider of the year poll.

Dazed and Confused said:
If you think July fans are hanging around CN in December, well then good luck....

You know what I mean. How else would you explain the difference? It's clear some people switched from Contador to Vos and other female riders, while Nibali's percentage is the same in both polls.

Edit: I guess another way to put it would be, fans who think Contador was the best male cyclist this year (and thus value the entire calendar and not just the Tour) are more likely to follow women's cycling than those who think Nibali was the best cyclist.

LaFlorecita said:
Yep, he must be female then, because Contador was elected best male rider of the year far ahead of Nibali by the very same readers.

Instead, the difference is probably caused by July fans who will always vote for the Tour winner in both categories, while some of the general cycling fans will have switched over from Contador to a female rider for the rider of the year poll.

Implying who the truly 'impartial crowd' are, eh, cineteq?? :D ( Still, I am duly flattered by your previous post :p )

The result does show how utterly meaningless these polls really are, though.

(Sorry - began to post before your edits, LaFlo.)

To put it in another perspective: wouldnt fans of cycling (those who actually follow it for quite some time) appreciate women's races as well, while the casual fans (I guess you call them July fans) base their opinion pretty much by what is spoonfed by the media? (comeback story because of injury, etc.). So the ones who actually DO follow cycling instead of just hear about if from the news are better presented in the overall rider of the year poll (unless you want to claim that the fan who voted for Contador in men's poll switched to Nibali in overall rider of the year poll, it was those who voted for women (so follow cycling more) that decided Nibali was better.)

damian13ster said:
To put it in another perspective: wouldnt fans of cycling (those who actually follow it for quite some time) appreciate women's races as well, while the casual fans (I guess you call them July fans) base their opinion pretty much by what is spoonfed by the media? (comeback story because of injury, etc.). So the ones who actually DO follow cycling instead of just hear about if from the news are better presented in the overall rider of the year poll (unless you want to claim that the fan who voted for Contador in men's poll switched to Nibali in overall rider of the year poll, it was those who voted for women (so follow cycling more) that decided Nibali was better.)

Apparently, the number of voters is the same in both polls, so you are getting the same voters in each (apparently you had to vote in both to vote at all, according to Sir Fly).

A.C. relatively lost votes. So more of those who saw him as the best male rider voted for others in the overall poll. It is hardly logical to vote for another male rider, because, well, why wouldn't anyone vote for that rider as the best male rider as well? Surely, it seems more rational that more these A.C. voters compared to Nibali (or A.N. Other) felt that the best rider was a woman, so voted for Vos or whomsoever.

Does that say anything about them as cycling fans? They were clearly aware of women's cycling. Does this imply they are more likely to follow the sport as a whole? Does it imply they are men or women? Fangirls and boys or non-'July fans'?

damian13ster said:
Lol, no clue. Everybody is way overthinking this. I dont think any serious rider gives a crap about online vote.

No reason to get worked up over it I guess.

I'm sure you are absolutely and utterly correct on the above. In fairness, though, I'm not sure anyone is really getting worked up, are they? :) I'm having a lovely time. :p

TRENDING THREADS