• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 311 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Eagle said:
https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/621745106782134273

The Spanish AS story citing several sources that Astana Pro Team management is looking to fire Vincenzo Nibali is fiction - and false

Official statement.

"There has never been a question that Vincenzo Nibali will leave the team at the end of the season - Vincenzo is doing very well in the team"

"Of course I am not happy when we don't win, as is the case with all team General Managers - But I merely think that Vincenzo is not riding at his best level in this Tour"

"Nibali has a potential that is much better than his current place in General Classification"

"We are going to do medical tests to determine the reason for his performance, and we also wish to see him race in the Vuelta a España this season to achieve a Grand Tour victory"

"There is no problem between him and the Team, and we have full confidence in him, contrary to what is being reported in the press"

Wait, what? Astana to take whole podium if Froome doesnt show up? :D

damian13ster said:
Rollthedice said:
Eagle said:
https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/621745106782134273

The Spanish AS story citing several sources that Astana Pro Team management is looking to fire Vincenzo Nibali is fiction - and false

Official statement.

"There has never been a question that Vincenzo Nibali will leave the team at the end of the season - Vincenzo is doing very well in the team"

"Of course I am not happy when we don't win, as is the case with all team General Managers - But I merely think that Vincenzo is not riding at his best level in this Tour"

"Nibali has a potential that is much better than his current place in General Classification"

"We are going to do medical tests to determine the reason for his performance, and we also wish to see him race in the Vuelta a España this season to achieve a Grand Tour victory"

"There is no problem between him and the Team, and we have full confidence in him, contrary to what is being reported in the press"

Wait, what? Astana to take whole podium if Froome doesnt show up? :D

Lol, Nibali, Landa and Aru at same GT, that will be very interesting.

Lol, Nibali, Landa and Aru at same GT, that will be very interesting.

298453d1406630811-2014-tdf-team-jersey-would-you-buy-wear-parijs-roubaix-1996.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Would be great to see Nibbles and Contador in the same team, and both going to the Vuelta. Epic stuff.
But I kind of like the idea of him going to Etixx and being forced to ride the cobble classics.
Anything is better than Astana at this point.

Yes please. Tinkoff, if your reading this, make it happen! :D

And throw Aru and Landa on the team as well and lets get some epic inner-team battles at the Giro. :p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Afrank said:
SafeBet said:
Would be great to see Nibbles and Contador in the same team, and both going to the Vuelta. Epic stuff.
But I kind of like the idea of him going to Etixx and being forced to ride the cobble classics.
Anything is better than Astana at this point.

Yes please. Tinkoff, if your reading this, make it happen! :D

And throw Aru and Landa on the team as well and lets get some epic inner-team battles at the Giro. :p
wtf Afrank? welcome back :D

Nibs won't go to Oleg team I think :p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Mozart92 said:
I think Nibali have to leave Astana. With Aru and Landa rising there's no space for him. Aru will target the Giro&Vuelta again next year and Landa will probably go to the Tour. Sky on the other hand could use a man to target the Giro and Vuelta. Porte is clearly not up to the task.
'
sky is rumored to be interested in Landa. So Landa might very well go to Sky. Contador isn't going to Ettix. That's like a career suicide. Why the move? he got a great team mate around him And i have never seen him feel at home around his other team mates. (He used to be surrounded by his patsy _noval, hernandez, paulinho). Now he got basso, rogers as his training mates. He is at end of his career, better stay at TS. He has the good support to win another GT as farewell. Maybe one last straw to win TDF since 2010*. I wonder where Uran is going? Ettix clearly is the morque for GT rider. On paper Nibali will fit TS. But no way they will share leadership on the Tour. Nibali doesn't obsess to win Tour. Maybe he likes to be back to Giro?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Jelantik said:
Mozart92 said:
I think Nibali have to leave Astana. With Aru and Landa rising there's no space for him. Aru will target the Giro&Vuelta again next year and Landa will probably go to the Tour. Sky on the other hand could use a man to target the Giro and Vuelta. Porte is clearly not up to the task.
'
sky is rumored to be interested in Landa. So Landa might very well go to Sky. Contador isn't going to Ettix. That's like a career suicide. Why the move? he got a great team mate around him And i have never seen him feel at home around his other team mates. (He used to be surrounded by his patsy _noval, hernandez, paulinho). Now he got basso, rogers as his training mates. He is at end of his career, better stay at TS. He has the good support to win another GT as farewell. Maybe one last straw to win TDF since 2010*. I wonder where Uran is going? Ettix clearly is the morque for GT rider. On paper Nibali will fit TS. But no way they will share leadership on the Tour. Nibali doesn't obsess to win Tour. Maybe he likes to be back to Giro?

They would likely come into conflict with the Giro as well. Contador might very well focus more on Giro-Vuelta the rest of his career (which wouldn't be a bad idea).

Lampre or katusha come to mind as interesting teams for Nibali. Then again, staying with Astana could be his best option. Overall he's done very well with the team.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one thinking that it was Nibali at his best (Tour 2014 level)? The difference was, that there were only Froome, Quintana and Contador instead of Bardet, Pinot and Peraud this time.

If he rode like that last year it would look like he destroyed all the others.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rm7 said:
Am I the only one thinking that it was Nibali at his best (Tour 2014 level)? The difference was, that there were only Froome, Quintana and Contador instead of Bardet, Pinot and Peraud this time.

If he rode like that last year it would look like he destroyed all the others.

He beat Valverde last year too. Also, we can calculate times up climbs and whatnot now. Only retards and trolls are claiming that the Nibali of last year wasn't ridiculously strong. Strong enough to be anywhere near Froome? That is something else entirely

D_T, Valverde is also a common denominator. Nibali destroyed him last year. Yet today Valverde was just behind Quintana and Froome

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Getting better, but still far from 2014 shape. I don't know, and never will know, if 2014 Nibali would beat 2015 Froome, but top shape Nibali definitely would've stayed with Quintana and Froome today.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
This Tour is definitely doomed for Nibali. Somebody stole his sunglasses and money while he was at breakfast this morning. He won Le Tour last year with those glasses.

Yeah Its the Glasses :D

Nibs was fantastic last year but yet to see him compete at the highest level with Froome or a top form Bertie.
It would have been great to see him at his best and he his racing like a champion and fighter.
I dream of Nibs doing a Landis ,,,,,that would be AWESOME

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

ray j willings said:
Rollthedice said:
This Tour is definitely doomed for Nibali. Somebody stole his sunglasses and money while he was at breakfast this morning. He won Le Tour last year with those glasses.

Nibs was fantastic last year but yet to see him compete at the highest level with Froome or a top form Bertie.
It would have been great to see him at his best and he his racing like a champion and fighter.
A stage win and helping Quintana because he wants Froome to loose the Tour would be enough for me. :D
Just think about it, Nibali attacks early on the Col d' Allos in the Pra-Loup stage and Quintana attacks later and catches Nibali before the descent. Nibali helps Quintana to gain a lot of time on Froome on the descent and gets the stage win, for me that would be the best case scenario :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
ray j willings said:
Rollthedice said:

A stage win and helping Quintana because he wants Froome to loose the Tour would be enough for me. :D
Just think about it, Nibali attacks early on the Col d' Allos in the Pra-Loup stage and Quintana attacks later and catches Nibali before the descent. Nibali helps Quintana to gain a lot of time on Froome on the descent and gets the stage win, for me that would be the best case scenario :D

I would be happy with that. Long as Sky lose.

TRENDING THREADS