• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 343 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
staubsauger said:
Afrank said:
Nibali isn't a Tour-centric rider. I get the feeling from him that he wants well-rounded palmares from a variety of races. GT's, short stage races, One-days, etc. Targeting the Giro every few years is a good plan and it gives him a little more freedom to mix and match the other races he will target.
I like him for that. He is doing this since his early years. The exact opposite of the stupid Armstrong mentality.

Except P-N and Basque Country he has won all important stage races as TdS ain't that important anymore nowadays and Dauphine is still a preparation race.

He won only Tirreno-Adriatico, other than GT's.., and it's not bigger than Dauphine or Suisse

I thought the same as well. Apart from P-N and Vasco and since Dauphine and Suisse are viewed as preparation..... Rofl.

Well, he did the Tour only stuff in 2014, I'd say it was a blessing that this year it didn't work out, though that 4th place and winning the queen stage wasn't too shabby. I'm saying this because after being kicked out of the Vuelta he went all in one-day races, something that used to set him apart from the other GT greats of recent years. For me personally, winning Lombardia, a monument is a tremendous achievement for a multiple GT winner in this time and age and the spectacular way he did it adds more value. So, hopefully we'll get to see him as a protagonist in MSR and LBL. Giro is beautiful and hard and regardless of who's coming next year, Nibz is a man who honors the pink jersey, which of course I hope he'll wear.

Mr.White said:
He won only Tirreno-Adriatico, other than GT's.., and it's not bigger than Dauphine or Suisse

In my opinion Tirreno-Adriatico is way bigger victory then Dauhpine, competition there in last years is always very hard and race is usually used as early peak of season for some big names because course in last years was always very nice
Dauphine is just preparation for Tour and many of big names which usually do Dauphine not taking that race seriously and Suisse competition is way too low

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Mr.White said:
staubsauger said:
Afrank said:
Nibali isn't a Tour-centric rider. I get the feeling from him that he wants well-rounded palmares from a variety of races. GT's, short stage races, One-days, etc. Targeting the Giro every few years is a good plan and it gives him a little more freedom to mix and match the other races he will target.
I like him for that. He is doing this since his early years. The exact opposite of the stupid Armstrong mentality.

Except P-N and Basque Country he has won all important stage races as TdS ain't that important anymore nowadays and Dauphine is still a preparation race.

Every other short stage race is utter sh!t compared to Tirreno-Adriatico. And anyone that doesn't agree will surly be wiped out by Poseidon's wrath! Plus he won it twice, that's as good as like 5 PN's or 6.5 TdS's. :p

;)

Re:

Red Rick said:
Seriously, nobody of the top GC riders cares about DL or Suisse anymore, and TA has been better than PN for years now

Thats funny, I remember Froome and Contador going at each other in the Dauphine like crazy last year and I also remember the eventual Tour winners won in 2012, 2013 and 2015 recently. They care about Dauphine, especially Froome and Sky, its a big race, but lesser guys than Froome or Contador obviously dont want to be at 95%-100% in the Dauphine and fade in the Tour. Its just a wrong statement.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Nibali is gonna be 32 by the end of next year. Still young enough to do a Hennie Kuiper and become a classics rider. In fact Hennie soon became 32 when he joined DAF Trucks as well. Lampre's new classics leader in the making?^^

That would be so cool. Specially in this era of cycling.
I'm hoping he will do that, but also 99% sure he won't do it.

The Dauphine is an important preparation race, yes. But not really with an own legacy anymore, like Suisse used to have in the past. Suisse really downgraded itself. As sad as it his. Both are still great races of course. Way bigger than races like Catalunya for example.

T-A and Basque Country still got their own legacy. It's like Horner said. The best riders often go there for an early season goal and peak. P-N used to be the same. But they need to be careful, not to go in the same direction as TdS.

But P-N, T-A and Basque Country are like the gorgeous little sisters of the Tour, Giro and Vuelta (Although the last not really) with it's very own importance. I just don't see that with Dauphine regardless it's impressive list of major winners. But I guess that's my own feeling and very arguably.

The other comment was simply a bit too much “The glas is half full.“ I fully admit that.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Nibali is gonna be 32 by the end of next year. Still young enough to do a Hennie Kuiper and become a classics rider. In fact Hennie soon became 32 when he joined DAF Trucks as well. Lampre's new classics leader in the making?^^
He's probably got 2 more years at the top. MSR, Ardennes, Giro, Vuelta, WCRR, Lombardy for the next 2 years is the best bet for maximizing wins. I hope he does a traditional build up rather than "peaking for the tour" for he or his body is simply not good at it.

Re:

sir fly said:
Nibali should reconsider his intention to target the Giro in 2016..
France is the place where he could restore his old image. No cobbles, but rain is inevitable during the decisive fortnight.

That would be nice especially for eye of fans but I do not think he will, olympic race will be his main target next year, Giro suits him so well and hopefully will be right decision and also I am curious how Aru will do on Tour

Rollthedice said:
SeriousSam said:
Winning the Giro and Gold would be a fantastic result. I think the Tour is better prep for Rio, but not if you're involved in a gruelling GC battle.

I would not exclude him ride Le Tour supporting Aru as a prep for the Olympics.
I'm not sure if Giro and Tour as a domestique wouldn't be too much racing to be fresh enough to have a dig at Rio. Maybe a Giro-Vuelta like prep with faster peak would be better. Giro is known for wearing people out of energy and additional Tour (even as a domestique) might be too tiresome to have a realistic go for gold. I would be pretty careful with my preparation and energy disposing before Rio.

I don't see Nibali riding the Tour. What's the point? Getting super tired, and throwing out of the window any serious chance to the Olympic gold? And for what? Winning one stage, perhaps?

It's just 11 days between Sun 24th July, TdF Gran Finale in Paris and Sat 6th Aug, Men's Road Race in Rio.
No, Nibali will use the two months inbetween the Giro and the Olympics to rest, recover and sharp his form aimining at a second super peak for Aug, heading into the Vuelta after Rio.

Almost impossible, but what a sensational season it would be with 2GT and an Olympic Gold in his bag? :D
Crazy or not, I believe that's what Nibali has got in mind and he's dreaming of. TdF can wait 2017.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
With everyone else targeting the Tour and riders like Valverde and Purito probably unable to resist dulling their Rio edge with a real Tour effort, it really is a golden opportunity for Nibali to attempt this.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The only way he will get his reputation back is if he wins the Giro and gets gold. Or if he rides the Tour and is competitive with the top riders. If he rides the Tour and finishes a minute or so back from Froome or whoever wins the Tour overall he'll get a lot of respect. Far more than he would by winning the Giro and then doing the Olympic roadrace and then getting beaten by a rider who just rode the Tour.

Of course as I said, I think winning both the Giro and getting gold would also do the trick.

Re:

whittashau said:
The only way he will get his reputation back is if he wins the Giro and gets gold. Or if he rides the Tour and is competitive with the top riders. If he rides the Tour and finishes a minute or so back from Froome or whoever wins the Tour overall he'll get a lot of respect. Far more than he would by winning the Giro and then doing the Olympic roadrace and then getting beaten by a rider who just rode the Tour.

Of course as I said, I think winning both the Giro and getting gold would also do the trick.

I must have missed something.
When exactly did he lose his reputation? An according to whom?
Really interested in the answer!

TRENDING THREADS