• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 379 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
I have yet to understand what happened between saturday and friday. He was at a decent level during three stages : Corvara, Risoul and Sant'Anna di Vinadio.

Winning the race despite two real bad days... That's resilience.

The most reasonable explanation is that Sunday he payed for his efforts in Corvara, a bad day plus the mechanical and Tuesday he made a tactical error triggered by the excitement to come back, attacking too early in the first stage after the rest day, a very risky action since he couldn't really asses his form.

Otherwise, his peak form was predicted to be in the last week, something he achieved, in the last two decisive stages he put almost 3 minutes in Bala and Chavito and over six in SK.

Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
DFA123 said:
hrotha said:
He only faded because of the crash and having to chase without teammates for so long, and everybody was in the red on the Agnello, Nibali included (who himself had been dropped not long before, remember?)
Fair enough if that's your opinion. I disagree, and think he faded because he's not an elite climber and couldn't maintain his level from earlier in the race. He lost three minutes in the final 8km of Risoul. You don't put yourself that much into the red chasing back a bit on 14km of gentle descent.

Fact is, we'll never know and can't say for sure either way. What we can say for sure, is that Nibali was the best rider over the three weeks.
I'm one of the biggest Nibali fans around and I'm 99% sure Kruijswijk would've won this race without the fall.

I agree but falling is part of the sport though. It not something that never happens or that happens due to "external" factors.
Had he been hit by some motorbike or by a supporter I would perhaps saying that Nibali (or Chavez) did not deserve to win.
The way it went though, I am sorry for SK, I do not like to see riders fall down cause it hurts my stomach when
I see, but HE fumble the ball.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Following your own skewed logic. Contador was very lucky Nibali, Quintana and Froome weren't there in last year's Giro
rhubroma said:
cineteq said:
On the subject of "Nibali was lucky to win the Giro"

Kruijswijk said:
But staying on your bike is also cycling and that’s what I lacked yesterday

It's undeniable that Nibali was lucky to win this Giro, just as he was lucky his main rivals crashed out of the Tour he won, though he was beaten by Wiggins at the Tour and a 42 year-old Horner at the Vuelta, so I guess Fortune really is blind. And who was it that Enzo beat at the Vuelta? Ezequiel Mosquera Miguez Gómez. The guy was subsequently disqualified for doping, but dropped Nibs on Bola del Mundo. Not a stellar cyclist at least on my radar. And who was his biggest threat at the last Giro he won? Ciccio Uran...

He races with a big heart and has enough talent to capitalize on other's misfortunes, but if there is a rider who's been graced by good fortune it is certainly him. Thus as Wouter said above, he is the most overachieving cyclist of his generation in GTs.

Re:

Bias aside, I think you might be just right!
Pippo_San said:
The "sour grapes" thread.
Going by this logic yesteryear Velasco was lucky Landa had orders. And didn't deserve to win.

Anyway back to real actual things. 2 GIROS, 1 TOUR, 1 VUELTA, 1 MONUMENT.

Most complete and consistent GT rider of the new century.

cineteq said:
Bias aside, I think you might be just right!
Pippo_San said:
The "sour grapes" thread.
Going by this logic yesteryear Velasco was lucky Landa had orders. And didn't deserve to win.

Anyway back to real actual things. 2 GIROS, 1 TOUR, 1 VUELTA, 1 MONUMENT.

Most complete and consistent GT rider of the new century.

Well, if you take the 84-89 generation, then for sure

Rollthedice said:
Carols said:
Cranks were the issue? If so Nibali will be deadly again from here on out :)

Vinokourov: "Nibali finished the Giro pretty fresh. We'll see who will lead the team at Tour de France." (Gazzetta dello Sport) via twitter our very own jens attacks.
He should definitely go to the Tour in a free role / stage hunter. Aru's chances of winning aren't high enough to justify giving him 8 support riders.

Would be decent preparation for the Olympics as well - and a lot more fun for Nibali than having to be concerned about the GC the whole time.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
As Contador found out last year, when you go into the Tour after a tough Giro you cannot compete against fresh rivals. Nibali should go stage hunting and work for Aru. No Chance of beating Contador, Froome and Quintana.

Unless he gets lucky with crashes again! :D

His next goal is Rio. He will ride Le Tour in a free role, not as super gregario for Aru. I don't belive Vino, all the Astana team there are Aru loyals and it qould be absurd to go all out when you want to win the olympic gold. Now of course on the road many things could happen.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If he does ride the Tour in a GC leader capacity, it will be interesting to see whether he can muster a competitive level, given that Contador failed to do that.

TRENDING THREADS