• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 410 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I understand his decision actually. If his shape is *** (which i think he thinks it is), there's no point starting in Lombardia. The risk to falter big time is way too high.

Re:

Arredondo said:
I understand his decision actually. If his shape is **** (which i think he thinks it is), there's no point starting in Lombardia. The risk to falter big time is way too high.

He was for most of the past weeks in Messina where he organized a granfondo. Also, I think last week he said he still had a discomfort (pain) when riding, from the asperities and bumps in the tarmac. So nothing competitive is realistic this year. The man is enjoying his last months with Astana by taking it easy, after all he won 3 GTs for Vino.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
https://twitter.com/vincenzonibali/status/787779800836562944/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=vincenzonibali&utm_content=787779800836562944

What's Nibali saying here?

Something like "My controls are regular, problems are the defamatory".

I don't know what went on but that appears to be some medical report, maybe an anti doping test result? Probably some rumours about abnormal results and he is refuting them. The dates on the paper are consistent with a test made at the National Championships of 2015 in Torino, which he won.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
I think the key phrase is this (but perhaps we need to go to the Clinic Forum)
Secondo Francini Nibali alle 19 se ne sarebbe dunque andato, ma nel verbale ufficiale si legge qualcosa di diverso. Confermato il problema dell'assenza delle provette, che sarebbe stato riscontrato alle 16:45, dopo che Brambilla e Conti hanno subito il prelievo, i controlli ematici degli altri tre sarebbero invece avvenuti circa tre ore dopo. 19:26 per Nibali, 19:30 Reda, 19:45 Zilioli. In contraddizione con quanto ha dunque scritto Francini. Per chiarezza, nella tarda serata di ieri, Vincenzo Nibali ha pubblicato un tweet in cui mostra le ricevute dei controlli di quel giorno precisando dunque come i suoi controlli siano "regolari".
Which I think says Nibali's anti-doping test was done 3 hours after the end of the 2015 Italian National Championship at Superga. While for Brambilla it was done straightaway at 16:45.

Better discuss this in the clinic, but note that:
- Cyclingpro is notorious in Italy to talk BS more often than not;
- The TV show he's mentioning, Le Iene, is an insult to journalism and fact checking in general. Other issues thay've been blabbing about in the past couple of years: vaccines causing autism, scorpion's poison curing cancer, veganism curing cancer, Monsanto using xylella to destroy italian's olive trees and on and on.

This is not to say there's nothing behind this story, but take it with a grain of salt.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I agree this should be in the Clinic, but Nibali's "defence" at least seems all but strong. He shows two handwritten signed pieces of paper, classic Italian style.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Don't know if it's been discussed, but has there been any mention of Nibali's plans for 2017 after the Giro?

Right now in Croatia first team meeting Bahrain Merida, I'm sure Nibali's plannning for 2017 is an important topic. He didn't even confirm Giro but we all know that riding in pink in Messina would be very nice.
Where in Croatia are they?
Tinkoff was in Poreč, if I remember well.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
A Giro-Vuelta double would be amazing, but I doubt he can reach the level of 2013-2014 again. :( Hope I'm wrong! He certainly won't win the Giro next year if he comes prepared like this year.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Don't know if it's been discussed, but has there been any mention of Nibali's plans for 2017 after the Giro?

Right now in Croatia first team meeting Bahrain Merida, I'm sure Nibali's plannning for 2017 is an important topic. He didn't even confirm Giro but we all know that riding in pink in Messina would be very nice.

Nibali winning on Etna, then wearing the Maglia Rosa in Messina would be absolutely epic. A well-prepared Nibali and a tailwind, por favor. He and I think especially Slongo learned from last year, they didn't know what they were doing last year despite him winning.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
A Giro-Vuelta double would be amazing, but I doubt he can reach the level of 2013-2014 again. :( Hope I'm wrong! He certainly won't win the Giro next year if he comes prepared like this year.
I'd say he was on his absolute best for the last couple of alpine stages of this year's Giro. Undoubtedly two of this year's greatest climbing performances from any rider, in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS