• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 440 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

silvergrenade said:
What is the Slongo hype on here?
I dont see any of the other top riders' coach being mentioned ever...unless its the Clinic stuff.
Who is Paolo Slongo? What makes him special?

P.S: I've read Dr. Ferraris comment about him....Which actually makes it more baffling. :sad:
I think people associate Nibalis change from being good all year round to a 1/2 race a year rider with Slongo and don't like him

Re:

silvergrenade said:
I dont see any of the other top riders' coach being mentioned ever...unless its the Clinic stuff.

P.S: I've read Dr. Ferraris comment about him....Which actually makes it more baffling. :sad:

Quite the contrary... we remember when he was competitive all damn year, so we kind of blame Slongo for those "form peaks".
Probably doesn't even have anything to do with Slongo, but why not blame him? It's fun! :lol:

Re:

silvergrenade said:

Think of Slongo for Nibali as Ellingworth and Michelle rolled in one for Froomey. As for dottore, he has a peculiar sense of humor.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
silvergrenade said:

Think of Slongo for Nibali as Ellingworth and Michelle rolled in one for Froomey. As for dottore, he has a peculiar sense of humor.
Got it... :lol: :lol:

A bit late to this and I didn't watch the race (only saw results) but I think Nibali is fine. 9th in a race which isn't that suited to him with a month to go before the crunch stages of the Vuelta is good. I was expecting a worse performance, maybe top 20 at best. In 2013 he was nowhere to be seen.

Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
I don't know what he means by saying there's no clear favourite for the Vuelta.
There clearly is.
Nibali trash talking game not peaking yet. Should've claimed he could've had 4 tours by now if he had focused on it
Yeah just like in 2015 where he told everybody Froome doesn't look good as compared to us 3 and then cracked everywhere he could.
:lol: :D

Krokro said:
silvergrenade said:
I don't know what he means by saying there's no clear favourite for the Vuelta.
There clearly is.

Froome? Still sceptical about TDF-Vuelta double. But given the other contenders, he might be the real favorite here... Except for Nibali or a big drama, I don't see any real contender for sure. The podium-field is great tho.

Sure.... But last year is an indication that Froome has the physical maturity to do the double.
Any betting website would give you the odds where you can clearly see one guy as the clear favourite followed by others stacked fairly together.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Good Contador and Nibali will push a liiiittle harder than Uran and Bardet.
Indeed. I think that Nibali would have beaten Uran and perhaps even won the race depending on how stage 15 went. (Uran and Bardet missed a huge chance there, they could have won the TDF that day.)
Edit: That is not to say Nibali will win the Vuelta though. Probably Froome will since I expect him to be better than the Tour and also he has an advantage on the ITT.

rick james said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali maybe, Bertie nope
Let's say, if Berto's and Nibali's shape are as close to Froome's as Bardet's and Uran's shape were in the tdf, Froome will definitely have to fight harder. But I agree with you that thats not very likely. Nibali maybe, but I doubt Alberto can really challenge froome.

Btw, I'm quite happy that for the first time in ages this is a vuelta with stages where you could attack downhill. This might make Nibali slightly more dangerous as well.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Contador was improving at the end of the Tour.

He's the one with undoubtedly the best Giro-Tour attempts this century. It's not a stretch of the imagination that he could do a good Vuelta after a tough Tour.

That was though more than 2 years ago and the man has been a shadow of himself after that.

And Froome has still been undoubtedly #1 in two consecutive GC's. I don't see (unfortunately) anyone to beat him in this Vuelta. Nibs will with normal performance be the biggest threath, but can't see him taking back the 2 odd minutes he is going to lose in TT's

Re:

Red Rick said:
Contador was improving at the end of the Tour.

He's the one with undoubtedly the best Giro-Tour attempts this century. It's not a stretch of the imagination that he could do a good Vuelta after a tough Tour.

The problem with Contador is that since Vuelta 2014, that's three years now, he wasn't consistent enough throughout the whole three weeks of a Grand Tour to allow him to win. Even in Giro 2015 he did a fantastic TT which eventually got him the win but he faded badly towards the end and of course, there are the crashes which seem as unavoidable as an Albasini stage win in Romandie. I doubt that the stars will align for him one last time but that doesn't mean he is not capable of contesting for the win, he will be in the mix.

rick james said:
Alexandre B. said:
rick james said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali wasn't particularly pushing hard this Giro.
really? was he saving himself for the Vuelta? an Italian not pushing hard on the 100th giro will swim with the fishes
If Froome is treated the same way Dumoulin was attacked with a far weaker team, he'll not worry that much.

Alexandre B. said:
rick james said:
Alexandre B. said:
rick james said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali wasn't particularly pushing hard this Giro.
really? was he saving himself for the Vuelta? an Italian not pushing hard on the 100th giro will swim with the fishes
If Froome is treated the same way Dumoulin was attacked with a far weaker team, he'll not worry that much.

He pushed alright at the Giro. Problem is Nibali had and still has a weak team, so he had to rely on Movistar moves which never came consistently. There were no medium mountain stages designed to offer real opportunities for an ambush and after he messed up Blockhaus and cracked on Oropa there was only one real MTF left, Piancavallo. Then, a bunch of strong guys riding for podium, placements and jerseys didn't help either while Tom got maybe the decisive helping hand from Bob Jungels.

This time around, besides Nibali there are at least two aggressive riders who will make Froome sweat, Contador and Aru so the dynamic of the race might as well be different. I don't think that Froome will magically improve his climbing from TdF and the difference in TT remains to be seen regarding Nibali. Sure Froome is the favorite but I think he is less of a favorite than how it was for TdF.

TRENDING THREADS