• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 469 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Climbing said:
Are people underestimating how hard will be Innsbruck?
It's a totally pure climber WC, those that happens every 20 years and it's tailor made for Nibali.
It's way way harder than Rio.
Of course everything can happen in one day races and it's still so far away.
Let's think about Sallanches and Duitama. I guess none of them were definitely easier than Innsbruck. In Duitama Pantani and Indurain were clearly superior to anybody else, but the fact they were two made them control one each other like crazy. In the end Olano broke free and won. In Sallanches Hinault was clearly superior and managed to win.

My point wants to be that even in a very hard course it's very dangerous for Nibali if there is somebody else that can keep his pace, as it has happened in Florence (Purito, Uran, Piti and Rui Costa) and Rio (Majka and Henao). So I wouldn't surprise to see a Duitama 2.0 where somebody else wins just because everybody is looking at the shark.

PS: a different story in Chambery, where Greg wasn't afraid to sprint!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

franic said:
Climbing said:
Are people underestimating how hard will be Innsbruck?
It's a totally pure climber WC, those that happens every 20 years and it's tailor made for Nibali.
It's way way harder than Rio.
Of course everything can happen in one day races and it's still so far away.
Let's think about Sallanches and Duitama. I guess none of them were definitely easier than Innsbruck. In Duitama Pantani and Indurain were clearly superior to anybody else, but the fact they were two made them control one each other like crazy. In the end Olano broke free and won. In Sallanches Hinault was clearly superior and managed to win.

My point wants to be that even in a very hard course it's very dangerous for Nibali if there is somebody else that can keep his pace, as it has happened in Florence (Purito, Uran, Piti and Rui Costa) and Rio (Majka and Henao). So I wouldn't surprise to see a Duitama 2.0 where somebody else wins just because everybody is looking at the shark.

PS: a different story in Chambery, where Greg wasn't afraid to sprint!
Sallanches was also harder, 20 laps on a short 13km circuit with a climb like the Côte de Domancy in the middle of the circuit is really hard.
Back to Nibali, it would be nice if he'd be able to end the season with a big win.
I'd love to see Nibali in this kind of shape riding L-B-L once again.

Great to see Nibali finishing off the season by dominating Il Lombardia. This means he has won a Monument or Grand Tour every year since 2013. Class rider.

How satisfied do you think he'll be with his season? Two stage wins and two podiums in his GT-appearances and now a second Monument win (plus the GC in Croatia).

I'd say it was a really good season for him. He didn't have a good team, his shape in the gt's was good but not where it was in 2013/14, but he still ended up with two gt podiums, two stage wins (one of which was a vuelta stage which means that he has now finally won stages in all gt's) and a monument.

I'm already looking forward to next season. If his shape in the ardennes is like today he'll make those races a lot more entertaining. And a strong Nibali will surely make the tour more exciting as well.

Gigs_98 said:
I'd say it was a really good season for him. He didn't have a good team, his shape in the gt's was good but not where it was in 2013/14, but he still ended up with two gt podiums, two stage wins (one of which was a vuelta stage which means that he has now finally won stages in all gt's) and a monument.

I'm already looking forward to next season. If his shape in the ardennes is like today he'll make those races a lot more entertaining. And a strong Nibali will surely make the tour more exciting as well.
Indeed. He can make Liege very good like he did on '12 and if the Tour has a very hard cobbled stage Nibali can gain very important time there. And he'd be probably the biggest favourite for WC along with 2-3 riders.

Gigs_98 said:

Agree, a good/very good season for him. He lost to better riders in the GTs, he is extremely good to get the maximum out of his talent and his shape.