• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 510 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Yeah that Tour stage of 2015 is an underrated win. Solo from 50km out and climb La Toussuire faster than anyone else except for Froome and Quintana.

And I think that's an underrated quality. He can attack a penultimate climb without slowing down too much on the last climb.

Actually he went with around 62 km to the finish.
Yeah I was too lazy to check.

I think it's a good decision for him to race Dauphiné and Adriatica Ionica before the Tour. A whole month without racing (except on day at the NC) wouldn't be good for him. In the past few years he was rather underraced in the beginning of a Grand Tour than being to exhausted in the end. He seems to need quite a bit of racing to hit top shape.

Yeah, I think this is a logical decision too. Only the dauphine was already very little in the past and resulted in a bad early shape in 2015. Now that the tour is even further away from the dauphine, this as his final prep race would most certainly not be enough. Also, as Nibali usually gets better in the 2nd half of a gt I can't see him fading in the third week despite an additional prep race. The only question is whether he pays for these added racing days in fall when he goes for the WC

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Yeah, I think this is a logical decision too. Only the dauphine was already very little in the past and resulted in a bad early shape in 2015. Now that the tour is even further away from the dauphine, this as his final prep race would most certainly not be enough. Also, as Nibali usually gets better in the 2nd half of a gt I can't see him fading in the third week despite an additional prep race. The only question is whether he pays for these added racing days in fall when he goes for the WC
This year he had no altitude training camp until after the Ardennes classics, I guess that he and Slongo made their calsulations and with him only riding the Vuelta as a prep race for WC and Lombardia it shouldn't be a huge problem.
if the weather is nice I'll try to be on the finish line of the Giau MTF of the Adriatica Ionica race.

Gigs_98 said:
2015 was more the crash on stage 6 or something than anything else. He was pretty solid in the prologue and on the Mur. He was also by far the most agressive on the cobbles but that stage simply wasn't hard enough.

Go troll somewhere else, and buy a couple of glasses.
Plus refresh your memory how to ride cobbles... :lol:
image.gif

skippo12 said:
Just read: No GC-ambitions for Dauphine...will go stage hunting.

I think most of us expected it and considering the delayed Tour start this year it is the right decision.
His declarations on the team website ahead of Dauphine are different.

“I have not run the Critérium for a few years and I am happy to come back. I have just finished 2 weeks training camp in Teide and the race will help me to see at what point of the programme I am in sight of the Tour de France. I would like to do well in some stages, maybe that of La Rosiere that I will face again in July, and get a good position in the general classification“.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Rollthedice said:
I am not so sure if he'll be at Adriatica Ionica. Dauphine finishes on the 10th, Adriatica is 20-24. Before the Tour he will go for a final training camp on San Pellegrino like every year so when will that fit?

10 days before, 10 days after!

From 13 to 24 June training altitude San Pellegrino, the usual before Le Tour, June 30 Italian Championships. Apparently he was testing sprints with Sonny on Teide for the road race in Boario Terme.

Nirvana said:
skippo12 said:
Just read: No GC-ambitions for Dauphine...will go stage hunting.

I think most of us expected it and considering the delayed Tour start this year it is the right decision.
His declarations on the team website ahead of Dauphine are different.

“I have not run the Critérium for a few years and I am happy to come back. I have just finished 2 weeks training camp in Teide and the race will help me to see at what point of the programme I am in sight of the Tour de France. I would like to do well in some stages, maybe that of La Rosiere that I will face again in July, and get a good position in the general classification“.

As we saw last year; winning a couple of stages can be a pretty good way to win the overall.
Though, I dunno how the team stacks up in the TTT

TRENDING THREADS