• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 580 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
**** I'm nervous for tomorrow.
Relax, Froome is not riding and Contador retired. Nobody else can drop him. Carpe diem racing tomorrow.

We are still not at the point of the race where recovery is really a massive factor, so perhaps a few riders will take small time on Nibali. However, so long as he isn't dropped like a stone then he is still a strong contender. I think that stages 14 and 15 will suit him better.

gregrowlerson said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Relax, Froome is not riding and Contador retired. Nobody else can drop him. Carpe diem racing tomorrow.

We are still not at the point of the race where recovery is really a massive factor, so perhaps a few riders will take small time on Nibali. However, so long as he isn't dropped like a stone then he is still a strong contender. I think that stages 14 and 15 will suit him better.

He thrives on long hard stages of which the first is today. Stage 14 is short and in the Lombardia stage there is no place for bigger differences though it is one that he's a favorite to win. He did the monoclimb stage yesterday like a boss, something we were not used to lately so I'm fairly confident. In a stage like today, what might be a problem is his team, yesterday Caruso wasn't there for some weird reason (fighting for the stage win from a break), Pozzo was barely hanging on and Antonio was nowhere to be seen. Second is Roglic who is basing his race now on Nibali, he will follow his wheel and rely on him to bridge or cover attacks from guys who are further down on GC.

Rollthedice said:
gregrowlerson said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

He thrives on long hard stages of which the first is today. Stage 14 is short and in the Lombardia stage there is no place for bigger differences though it is one that he's a favorite to win. He did the monoclimb stage yesterday like a boss, something we were not used to lately so I'm fairly confident. In a stage like today, what might be a problem is his team, yesterday Caruso wasn't there for some weird reason (fighting for the stage win from a break), Pozzo was barely hanging on and Antonio was nowhere to be seen. Second is Roglic who is basing his race now on Nibali, he will follow his wheel and rely on him to bridge or cover attacks from guys who are further down on GC.

Nibali is no fool, he won't work for Roglic anymore, even if that means loss of time to others. Trek will do the work though...

Nibali never worked for Roglic, what do you mean? But you can’t stop anyone being on your wheel less you drop them. Also, Nibs cannot play chicken, as he needs more of a gap towards other GC contenders before final TT. He will have to drop Roglic at some point to win. Only other alternative is letting the other climbers back into the race, force Roglic to respond and then hope he can go at the right time when he’s fatigued. But that’s very risky, with 4-5 strong climbers in the mix, attacking one after the other, he will need luck to be in the right move.. He will probably rely on dropping Roglic in the high mountains, and until that happens, they will ride happily together in the alps;)

While this surely wasn't as good as I hoped, he did look completely in control and also didn't look like he struggled massively to follow Roglic's attack (which was a pretty big one I think). Not going too deep might benefit him tomorrow and generally he will benefit from hard days like today later in the race. We will see, but I think we now at least know he won't win this giro by just attacking on mtf's and in terms of racing that's surely a good thing.

Gigs_98 said:
While this surely wasn't as good as I hoped, he did look completely in control and also didn't look like he struggled massively to follow Roglic's attack (which was a pretty big one I think). Not going too deep might benefit him tomorrow and generally he will benefit from hard days like today later in the race. We will see, but I think we now at least know he won't win this giro by just attacking on mtf's and in terms of racing that's surely a good thing.

He took a risky tactical decision but I guess it's his way of doing things and he feels very good. That decision was to make Roglic work and measure him on the climb, force him to either close the gap to danger men up the road or face them and their teams later when they will be within seconds. We are talking about a rider with immense experience in winning Grand Tours and he is convinced Roglic is the man to beat, alone it will be hard so let's bring back some other guys in the game see if he can react.

Alexandre B. said:
Rollthedice said:
Smart ride today oozing experience and composure, thinking further than just this stage. Roglic is strong but there's a long way to Verona.
He'll need to be careful with the Movistar duo though.

Sure, it's getting exciting. I have the feeling he wanted somebody close to have more pressure on lone wolf Roglic. Yates cracked, Lopez and Astana after working all day had a misfortune so it's Movistar.

Rollthedice said:
Gigs_98 said:

He took a risky tactical decision but I guess it's his way of doing things and he feels very good. That decision was to make Roglic work and measure him on the climb, force him to either close the gap to danger men up the road or face them and their teams later when they will be within seconds. We are talking about a rider with immense experience in winning Grand Tours and he is convinced Roglic is the man to beat, alone it will be hard so let's bring back some other guys in the game see if he can react.
Yeah Nibali might be the rider with the best tactical sense in the peloton. Curious if riders will pay for todays effort tomorrow but some of the guys who finished in front of him and Roglic looked completely dead so they might pay for their efforts tomorrow.

Honestly I don't think he looked as in control are you guys are picturing him. He clearly could not follow Landa's attack, and I'm not even sure he could follow Carapaz+Majka. He still needs to take time back and now both Movistar riders have a shot. With Jumbo nowhere to be seen, everybody will be looking at him to shut down attacks.

Tomorrow a very tough stage, likely in Nibali's weather. If he doesn't attack tomorrow I'm ready to push the panic button.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Honestly I don't think he looked as in control are you guys are picturing him. He clearly could not follow Landa's attack, and I'm not even sure he could follow Carapaz+Majka. He still needs to take time back and now both Movistar riders have a shot. With Jumbo nowhere to be seen, everybody will be looking at him to shut down attacks.

Tomorrow a very tough stage, likely in Nibali's weather. If he doesn't attack tomorrow I'm ready to push the panic button.

Maybe. To me he looks dead... bored.

img-20190524-185200.png

Re:

SafeBet said:

I don't think he was fully playing games. Going with Majka and dropping Roglic in the process would've been much better than what he ended up with if he really did have the legs.

TRENDING THREADS