• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 602 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
giphy.gif

Did about what I expected, lost a minute to GC contenders today. Now a minute and a half or a little less behind top GC riders, I think he is precisely where he didn’t want to be - not completely beyond hope for a podium on the basis of time loss, but also pretty unlikely to get there. Currently at 20th in GC, which he can’t be happy with, and a lot of serious GC contenders between him and the podium.

Dropping time definitely makes the most sense, but I have never really thought Nibali particularly suited to stage hunting, or at least not from an early break. Think if he wants a stage, he is going to have to ride with the GC leaders, and either be the strongest on a stage, or hope that they will let him go at the end of the stage. A stage win is a stage win, I suppose, but am wondering if there is an argument for not dropping time.

Re:

Summoned said:
Did about what I expected, lost a minute to GC contenders today. Now a minute and a half or a little less behind top GC riders, I think he is precisely where he didn’t want to be - not completely beyond hope for a podium on the basis of time loss, but also pretty unlikely to get there. Currently at 20th in GC, which he can’t be happy with, and a lot of serious GC contenders between him and the podium.

Dropping time definitely makes the most sense, but I have never really thought Nibali particularly suited to stage hunting, or at least not from an early break. Think if he wants a stage, he is going to have to ride with the GC leaders, and either be the strongest on a stage, or hope that they will let him go at the end of the stage. A stage win is a stage win, I suppose, but am wondering if there is an argument for not dropping time.

There are a few hill type stages that would suit Nibali ...including if he can go in the break or make a late attack off the front ...Stages where climbs are hard for Sagan & Van Aert

Watched the finish of the stage again, and I am wondering if he was having a mechanical issue in the last 100 meters? He looked rough, no question, but the way he was riding made me think it may have been compounded by mechanical issues. But I really don’t have much knowledge to base that on.

Re:

Summoned said:
Watched the finish of the stage again, and I am wondering if he was having a mechanical issue in the last 100 meters? He looked rough, no question, but the way he was riding made me think it may have been compounded by mechanical issues. But I really don’t have much knowledge to base that on.

No, he blew up completely. I rewatched the moto camera which was on him at some point in the finale. He was dropped and was struggling with Krushweak. Krush got a gap then Mollema passed from behind and Nibali got to his wheel. When that final 24% kicked in he almost got to a stand still. Though not his type of finish, he should have done better, it was just a reminder that he doesn't have the shape to contest the overall.

Right now I think he could finish in top 5-10. We don't like that and we want him to win a stage but what matters is what he decides next. Winning a stage will be very hard.

Re:

Lequack said:
Didn't expect that Giro would take so much out of him. But then again all of those who did the Giro seem kind fo second hand, Nibali, Zakarin, Simon Yates. But on the other hand Landa and Mollema are still going well.

It's how it always was, that's Vincenzo. What's not very nice is that the team, by pushing him to ride the Tour is putting him an embarrassing situation. Maybe he can turn it around and win his sixth stage in the Tour but it will be very hard.

Slongo said today that he cracked more mentally than with his legs, it's useless to continue if you are not convinced in what you can do. He said that Nibali is not even disappointed. Take some rest and find new objectives.

I think I said it earlier, but I agree that he is not really equipped to be a stage hunter. That being the case, I think dropping out now makes a lot of sense.

One thing I find slightly interesting is that he has not asked much of the other riders from Bahrain Merida thus far. I really do think they made an effort to allow for the other riders to pursue their own objectives in the Tour as much as possible. Which makes me think that Dennis may be targeting more than the ITT, that Teuns will try again, and that there is absolutely no reason for Caruso to be at the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS