• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 603 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Climbing said:
So stupid TBM forcing him to ride the Tour... not easy to have a decent finale of the season either... but he has to try, he lacks racing, must race a lot this season imho.

Totally agree. And if he believes he doesn't 'have it' he won't. Why they couldn't let him skip the Tour and fight for Vuelta and Worlds is beyond me. This way they get Nothing instead of possible late season wins. Poor Vince. Maybe he'll 'get sick' and pull out. But he's not that kind of guy.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Climbing said:
So stupid TBM forcing him to ride the Tour... not easy to have a decent finale of the season either... but he has to try, he lacks racing, must race a lot this season imho.

Totally agree. And if he believes he doesn't 'have it' he won't. Why they couldn't let him skip the Tour and fight for Vuelta and Worlds is beyond me. This way they get Nothing instead of possible late season wins. Poor Vince. Maybe he'll 'get sick' and pull out. But he's not that kind of guy.

img-20190709-120814.jpg

He's not going anywhere! Never Give Up!

Ci sono giornate dove si regalano emozioni speciali e poi ci sono giornate dure come queste, tutto questo fa parte del nostro sport come nella vita quotidiana . Never give up. @letourdefrance #sprintcycling @bettiniphoto #photo @lucabettini87

There are days where special emotions are given and then there are hard days like these, all this is part of our sport as in everyday life. Never give up. @Letourdefrance #sprintcycling @bettiniphoto #photo @ lucabettini87

Today we got a reminder that Nibali is still in this (for him) stupid race.

"Today I was much better, it was right to try. The break was good but the group did not leave space, we pushed to try to gain time but in the end it was a very tough stage. The day before yesterday I was very ill, yesterday with the time trial I tried to get myself together. Today the sensations were good, we take a little step at a time: if you go on the break there are signs of recovery for the next stages but I don't want to put things in my head because it's difficult “.

Yeah, but I think he needed a lot of racing this year, okay could have achieved that with the Vuelta.
He was pushing such low cadence gear in the Giro, that must come from the long recovery and lack of racing, I expect the old end 2017 Nibali in some part of this year.
I hope at least.

And for once the vuelta route even would have kinda suited him. This is so f*cking annoying.

Still hope he can do something on the galibier. He did look decent on the tourmalet stage after all. But already this year feels kinda wasted and there are so little good years with him left :(

Re:

Red Rick said:
https://www.corriere.it/sport/19_luglio_23/tour-visto-fondosono-cotto-ma-non-triste-35c4736a-acb3-11e9-8470-d02c1b58748e.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

Nibali saying TBM managment is a shitshow. He told them he couldn't do both GTs for GC, and now he's burnt out after trying. Doesn't to be in a terrible state of mind though. Also insists he's not too old to win GTs and he'll be too old when he decides he's too old.

Muddies the water of the Dennis situation further when Nibali is openly criticising them as well

Re:

Red Rick said:
https://www.corriere.it/sport/19_luglio_23/tour-visto-fondosono-cotto-ma-non-triste-35c4736a-acb3-11e9-8470-d02c1b58748e.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

Nibali saying TBM managment is a shitshow. He told them he couldn't do both GTs for GC, and now he's burnt out after trying. Doesn't to be in a terrible state of mind though. Also insists he's not too old to win GTs and he'll be too old when he decides he's too old.

My rivals in this Tour? I think Evenepoel is dangerous but he's a bit old now, don't you think?

img-6425.jpg

Re:

SafeBet said:
That's actually one of the nicest interviews I've ever read from him. Very human, honest. I like when he says that even a Tour ridden in 50th position deserves to be finished: "I'm not sick, I'm not injured, why should I go home?".
So the rumors about a supposed sickness that lead to his cracking in Saint Etienne were fake news, he's done physically and at this point he can only hang on until Paris.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
SafeBet said:
That's actually one of the nicest interviews I've ever read from him. Very human, honest. I like when he says that even a Tour ridden in 50th position deserves to be finished: "I'm not sick, I'm not injured, why should I go home?".
So the rumors about a supposed sickness that lead to his cracking in Saint Etienne were fake news, he's done physically and at this point he can only hang on until Paris.
I don't think they were fake news. He says he's not sick now, but during an interview at the end of last week he mentioned a bad stomach the day before the ITT.