• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 613 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like his ambition but I fear the Giro GC is a bit of an overkill.
I also hope he only does two weeks in the Tour to arrive fresher to Tokyo.
Considering that Guercilena said at Radiocorsa that he thinks the Giro is the best preparation for Olympics probably he won't even go in France. More likely scenario at the moment is something in February, Strade, Tirreno, Sanremo, training camp, Tirol, Liege, Giro, training camp for Olympics and after Olympics probably Vuelta and then evaluating if shape will still be there/there won't be too much fatigue for Worlds. Nibali himself a couple of weeks ago on the paper Gazzetta stressed the fact that for Worlds they'll see later in the season if it's doable but are Olympics the big target.

IMHO is a wise decision to let the Worlds on doubt if Giro is a big target, with a second peak for Olympics you can carry the form for a good Vuelta considering that this year will be anticipated to mid August but then is an unknown for the fall, unless your name is Valverde.

I like his ambition but I fear the Giro GC is a bit of an overkill.
I also hope he only does two weeks in the Tour to arrive fresher to Tokyo.

I don't see any reason, regardless of the competition, why Nibali can't win the Giro. Six months ago he finished one minute behind a winner who largely benefited from questionable tactics. I think winning the third Giro is turning into a small obsession, like Liege but it shouldn't hamper his chances in Tokyo.

Reactions: Carols and Red Rick
The Giro it is!

Nibali, yes to the Giro 2020!
The new manager: "He has the spirit of a youngster"

Guercilena, the team-manager of Trek-Segafredo:
"Olympics and the World the other goals. There is no Tour "

The Giro it is!

The Italian job, new improved youngsters edition.

The Giro it is!

The Agnello is looking forward to a reunion

I don't see any reason, regardless of the competition, why Nibali can't win the Giro. Six months ago he finished one minute behind a winner who largely benefited from questionable tactics. I think winning the third Giro is turning into a small obsession, like Liege but it shouldn't hamper his chances in Tokyo.
Agree with the premise...but did the "obsession" trigger "questionable tactics" and is Il Squalo at a point in his career when he doesn't feel as strong and relies too much on tactics? Defensive riding and running his mouth isn't what made Vincenzo successful...when he was (successful), he would shut up, be overlooked, and stab. I'm on the fence here.

So could Nibali perhaps never ride the Tour again? His aggression would be missed.
"There's still 2021, even if I know I'm not getting any younger. But I'm not done yet," he says...

Also:
Ellingworth didn’t try to keep Nibali on board as team leader [at B-M] , either.
"I don’t even know what Rod looks like; I've never talked to him," Nibali says, bluntly.
"I talked to the boss of the whole show, Milan Erzen."

Reactions: Rollthedice
So... light first part of the year with Giro, then preparation for Tokyo.

Question is, will it be possible to get a third peak for Worlds/Lombardia (Vuelta prep most likely)?! This year didn't work, but he had to try GC at the Tour, so maybe 3 peaks is possible, who knows.

According to la Gazzetta Ciccone will be his roommate.
Maybe Nibali will tech him to be a bit more tranquillo durning races.

Ten years after in Giro it's Nibali as Basso and Ciccone as Nibali. In Gazzetta he said he's not sure he'll win the Giro but if he's well prepared he will be up there for the win. Also, if I understood correctly he requested a first altitude camp as early as January.

Yeah, we already knew he's fixated with OG, cool it would be a great addition.
I would prefer the Worlds though.
giphy.gif

TRENDING THREADS