• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 616 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think he should just be decent in Tirreno, MSR is always a yolo race for him.

Just before Sanremo, 2018.

twjqw2vkyckayqgsr3mrie.jpg

Via Gazzetta, Nibali after today’s TT:

"I went regular from beginning to end. I got through the hard part well. Maybe I got a little bothered by the wind at the end because I caught a few gusts."

"The speed was high, in the last four kilometers I was almost always going over 60 per hour and the final average was over 50. My personal feelings were not bad, as was the data."

Actually, his average speed was far lower but Slongo says: “We got off to a better start than in the last few seasons because we didn't lose days of work in winter.”

Next races will be on Saturday and Sunday, Faun-Ardèche Classic and Royal Bernard Drome Classic.

He was searching his pockets for food when he slowed down so could have been a hunger knock. Anyway, he is not in a shape that could have produced a result. Same as in Algarve he seems to be enjoying attacks regardless if he has the legs or not. Today he went again with a teammate (Bernard) forcing a bit on a descent and getting clear on the flat with Barguil and Quintana following with 37 km. to go. The he proceeded to drop everybody, found himself alone without being able to cut the gap to Cavagna and chased by a bunch of good climbers. Next race tomorrow.

"I had very good feelings today (Sunday), unlike yesterday (Saturday) when I was completely dead in the last twenty kilometers. This time, the conditions were better and I told my teammates that I was going to try to win, " he briefly summed up to DirectVelo after the finish. "In the last ten kilometers, there were three of us and I knew that Simon Clarke was very fast in the sprint. But hey, I'm very happy with this podium .

"I feel better and better over the days and I hope to be in good condition for Tirreno. The level was good here and for my part, I was not bad, I worked well". The former winner of the three Grand Tours is not particularly worried when asked about the coronavirus epidemic which currently affects many countries, and particularly its Italian lands. "It's a problem, of course, but I don't think about it. I don't plan to change my racing program and give up Tirreno for Paris-Nice, no. I will go to Tirreno and then to Milan-San Remo, is planned like that "

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/81015/vincenzo-nibali-de-mieux-en-mieux

Impressive start to the season for Nibali. Usually he starts pretty slow, but he is Nibali. He can strike if he a has good day not being in top shape also. It was a very hard race today and he looked very strong. Attacked multiple times and followed other attacks with ease.

Last edited:
"I had very good feelings today (Sunday), unlike yesterday (Saturday) when I was completely dead in the last twenty kilometers. This time, the conditions were better and I told my teammates that I was going to try to win, " he briefly summed up to DirectVelo after the finish. "In the last ten kilometers, there were three of us and I knew that Simon Clarke was very fast in the sprint. But hey, I'm very happy with this podium .

"I feel better and better over the days and I hope to be in good condition for Tirreno. The level was good here and for my part, I was not bad, I worked well". The former winner of the three Grand Tours is not particularly worried when asked about the coronavirus epidemic which currently affects many countries, and particularly its Italian lands. "It's a problem, of course, but I don't think about it. I don't plan to change my racing program and give up Tirreno for Paris-Nice, no. I will go to Tirreno and then to Milan-San Remo, is planned like that "

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/81015/vincenzo-nibali-de-mieux-en-mieux
So no Strade Bianche? I know he's never performed in that race but who knows what he could in this shape.

TRENDING THREADS