• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 626 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tomorrow, T-A. Some words from Vincenzo:

"My condition is a work in progress. I am going fairly well, and so far I have had no hiccups."

“But it would be presumptuous to make proclamations of victory. We must remain with our feet on the ground, aware of what we have done so far, and, of course, taking our contenders into high consideration. The goal is to do well and be competitive to the maximum of our potential."

The Giro without Ciccone or with a Ciccone out of form would be a big blow to his chances. Bernard, Brambilla and Conci are all too weak as a last helper.
Yes, the kinda need to send a climber from the Tour team to help out. Elissonde could help out, Mollema is gonna be needed for the Ardennes classics. No idea about Porte, but I imagine that he'd like to spend some time at home, now that he just became a father for the 2nd time, otherwise I'd send to to help out Nibali in the high mountains (they both rode with Mastromarco before turning pro).

Yes, the kinda need to send a climber from the Tour team to help out. Elissonde could help out, Mollema is gonna be needed for the Ardennes classics. No idea about Porte, but I imagine that he'd like to spend some time at home, now that he just became a father for the 2nd time, otherwise I'd send to to help out Nibali in the high mountains (they both rode with Mastromarco before turning pro).
Who?

I agree Porte would be as useful as for Contador in 2011, only able to catch him 5 hairpins down if Nibs falls off the mountain while climbing.

Who?

I agree Porte would be as useful as for Contador in 2011, only able to catch him 5 hairpins down if Nibs falls off the mountain while climbing.
Well, Porte would be useful on the MTFs in the first week and on the Piancavallo stage. Who else could they actually send to replace Ciccone, they aren't stacked with great climbing domestiqeus. If Mollema is riding the Ardennes classics it's either Porte or Kenny.

Porte was very useful to Froome in the 2015 Tour after riding the Giro (though admittedly he didn't finish the Giro), so him being of some use to Nibali in what looks like a fairly weak field at this point (though of course isn't every GT a weak field lol) is possible, depending on his motivation levels.

Reactions: Red Rick
Porte was very useful to Froome in the 2015 Tour after riding the Giro (though admittedly he didn't finish the Giro), so him being of some use to Nibali in what looks like a fairly weak field at this point (though of course isn't every GT a weak field lol) is possible, depending on his motivation levels.
Yes, but the motivation level for Porte is gonna be a record low. Remember how he did at the 2018 Vuelta when he was considered a pre race contender?

TRENDING THREADS