• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 679 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
alright, here's a fun one with the INEOS speculation and 2022 looming: Should Vicenzo retire if he wins the Olympics?

With the Giro showing of this year, i think the GT winning shape won't be there anymore. Winning the ORR after his Rio crash 4 years ago would make a great swan song and narrative.

Reactions: RedheadDane
alright, here's a fun one with the INEOS speculation and 2022 looming: Should Vicenzo retire if he wins the Olympics?

With the Giro showing of this year, i think the GT winning shape won't be there anymore. Winning the ORR after his Rio crash 4 years ago would make a great swan song and narrative.

I don't entirely cut him out for having a chance to win a GT. This year so strange, Some are saying the younger generation is emerging, but you could argue that it was just as much it was far easier you the youth to be to handle the revolving schedule. It probably easier to build to a peak quicker for a younger rider then an older one. I do agree that the odds for Nibali to win looks long, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Outside of the Olympics, I think he still wants a couple more shots at LBL as well. and a chance to add another MSR or Lombardia.

The above would be the only reason I could see him going to Ineos. If they say we want you to be a domestique deluxe for the GT and we will allowing you min. co-leadership at the above Classics, and of course what would be a final Big Pay check that Ineos could offer. IT wouldn't shock me a contract for his brother at Ineos would also be part of the agreement as well.

Nibali will target the overall win at the Giro, maybe a couple of stage wins at the Tour if he even rides/finishes it (which is doubtful at this point) and then try to get that gold medal in Tokyo. If he just wins the Giro I'll take it though !

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS