• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 706 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Was listening to a podcast with lefevere which was recorded during the monday stage. The moderator was talking about nibali and how he was in the break. lefevere said yeh nibs is a warrior and everybody knows that. He also said that he didnt make any offers to any riders from other teams yet. The moderator then starts asking about quickstep getting a real good and experienced gt rider/descender to support evenepoel but lefevere didnt take the bait.
Kinda strange how its pretty clear the host was talking about the nibali rumors but didnt wanna say his name. Maybe he knows lefevere doesnt wanna drop names because that might raise the price or something i dont know. If anyone wants to listen for himself it was the podcast of het nieuwsblad.

I like Quickstep best among his options (if those are indeed the options on the table). It will give him some GC freedom (provided he's still able and willing to go for GC) and may revitalize his one-day racing ability. Plus he gets to mentor the prodigious RE, if they manage to find a common language (Remco will probably have to learn some Italian).

Astana is fine, other than perhaps Fuglsang's presence. Just please no more Trek*.

*which unfortunately seems to me the most likely option. I think he likes being a team with so many fellow Italians and someone like Ciccone who has shown he may be some kind of GC heir (with all his limitations). Also apart from the rumors it's the one team that will surely want to sign him.

I like Quickstep best among his options (if those are indeed the options on the table). It will give him some GC freedom (provided he's still able and willing to go for GC) and may revitalize his one-day racing ability. Plus he gets to mentor the prodigious RE, if they manage to find a common language (Remco will probably have to learn some Italian).

Astana is fine, other than perhaps Fuglsang's presence. Just please no more Trek.
Nah man, Vincenzo needs to learn Flemish obviously

Alternatively, all Remco needs to learn is venga and tranquilo

The man hasn't managed to learn a word of English after fifteen years in the pro peloton. Flemish strikes me as a language with a steep learning curve, and these days Vincenzo does well only on negative gradients.

A fun linguistic fact: tranquillo admits a synonym, flemmatico from the noun flemma. Flemma is also the Italian word for phlegm. I'm starting to see a connection...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The man hasn't managed to learn a word of English after fifteen years in the pro peloton. Flemish strikes me as a language with a steep learning curve, and these days Vincenzo does well only on negative gradients.

A fun linguistic fact: tranquillo admits a synonym, flemmatico from the noun flemma. Flemma is also the Italian word for phlegm. I'm starting to see a connection...
FYI I was exactly 0% serious about the Flemish.

I'm pretty sure Nibbles knows some very basic English he just doesn't do interviews innit.

FYI I was exactly 0% serious about the Flemish.

I'm pretty sure Nibbles knows some very basic English he just doesn't do interviews innit.
For what it's worth. Keisse talked about Nibali in an interview last year and something he mentioned was that Nibali was the kind of guy 'who would talk to you on day one' and 'straight up ignore you on day 2'.

So either Keisse speaks Italian or Nibali speaks enough English.

After today's stage:

"The feelings have always remained linear, I'm not at my best. I tried to stay here until the end, there are only two stages left. The day before yesterday there was a blind corner, I was caught in the middle, a bike landed on my back, it caused a small injury to the muscle in my arm. I suffered in this Giro from the beginning to the end. Our Giro so far has gone badly. Tomorrow there is an important stage, all of us as a team will try to go in the breakaway. Tomorrow, hoping that my legs will assist me, we have to try. It won't be easy, a lot of people will try. We hope to catch the breakaway of the day, then we'll see."

"In this Giro it would have been easier to stay at home. Many people would have given up after what happened to me. Instead I chose to come, because the Giro has given me so much. I have great morale because people are waiting to see me, even when I'm not in good shape. In my head it helps me to try to find the best condition later.

The approach to the Olympics is an important moment, there are some steps that must be done step by step, it must be discussed with (Cassani), at the moment I can not say that I am certain of the convocation because you must go strong."

For what it's worth. Keisse talked about Nibali in an interview last year and something he mentioned was that Nibali was the kind of guy 'who would talk to you on day one' and 'straight up ignore you on day 2'.

So either Keisse speaks Italian or Nibali speaks enough English.

Obviously he speaks English on some days but on others he just can't remember the words.

TRENDING THREADS