• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 709 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now that Sagan is off the table (supposedly) I think a Nibali move to QS is more likely. He doesn't bring that many people with him (hello, Antonio... or bye? :oops:) and I'm sure his salary can be negotiated in a way that is satisfactory to both parties.

Before that happens though I think this thread should get ready for the possibility that he won't be racing at the Tokyo games. The memes are dead before even having a chance at being born.

• Sad
Reactions: Carols
Now that Sagan is off the table (supposedly) I think a Nibali move to QS is more likely. He doesn't bring that many people with him (hello, Antonio... or bye? :oops:) and I'm sure his salary can be negotiated in a way that is satisfactory to both parties.

Before that happens though I think this thread should get ready for the possibility that he won't be racing at the Tokyo games. The memes are dead before even having a chance at being born.
The Bag is dead, long live the bag?
Sidenote, golden bags are trashy as *** anyway. Even Federer looked trashy with them

Think i have found the perfect team for him:

w2tl5pyv.png

tm4alopy.png

Today the nationals in Italy, a hot day on the same circuit as last year's World Champs. Nibali about Tokyo:

"I've always been part of the extended team of 6-7 riders that Cassani follows. I do a program and I'm 90% sure it works. One because I've done it, two because of my experience, three because it's done in a correct way to arrive at my best for that day".

"Some riders at the Giro went very strong, but the experience of a World Cup or an Olympics changes the performance, totally, just on a mental level. The pressure can destroy you. I don't want to say I'm better, but a trained rider knows how to handle it better."

"With Cassani I talked, even in the last days. The conversation between the manager and the athlete is very personal and it is right that it remains so."

Reactions: Carols
Today the nationals in Italy, a hot day on the same circuit as last year's World Champs. Nibali about Tokyo:

"I've always been part of the extended team of 6-7 riders that Cassani follows. I do a program and I'm 90% sure it works. One because I've done it, two because of my experience, three because it's done in a correct way to arrive at my best for that day".

"Some riders at the Giro went very strong, but the experience of a World Cup or an Olympics changes the performance, totally, just on a mental level. The pressure can destroy you. I don't want to say I'm better, but a trained rider knows how to handle it better."

"With Cassani I talked, even in the last days. The conversation between the manager and the athlete is very personal and it is right that it remains so."

"And in the end of the day, if you are not convinced yet, I can show everybody my trophy cabinet."

He sounds like he thinks he's entitled to it, his manager recently also gave an interview how Nibali deserves to be at the Olympics. Not a great look, imo.

Reactions: Summoned
He sounds like he thinks he's entitled to it, his manager recently also gave an interview how Nibali deserves to be at the Olympics. Not a great look, imo.
I love Nibali and have respect for his career, but at this point, what will he do in Tokyo? Win a medal? No. Work for others? No. He would take a place of most likely Formolo who is at least someone who wants to work.

I love Nibali and have respect for his career, but at this point, what will he do in Tokyo? Win a medal? No. Work for others? No. He would take a place of most likely Formolo who is at least someone who wants to work.
This, I really like Nibali9 , but just giving him a spot on the team because he's Nibali would be wrong. 2 years ago Formolo finished 2nd in lbl, 1 year ago 2nd in Strade Bianche and this year he was the one who set a pace that cracked Roglic before Pogi made his move in lbl. He also didn't race at all between msr and lbl this year, so he should still have something left in the tank after riding the Giro-Tour double (and he'll be a domestique at the Tour).
Trusting an older guy because of his glorious past instead of a younger one is just such an Italian thing to do.

Caruso said the same but it doesn't matter if Nibali is not competitive and that is what he is trying to prove maybe today and certainly during the Tour. If the legs "from better times" are gone for good then there's no point in visiting Japan. He knows it and Cassani knows it.

He IS entitled to it IMO! He rode the Giro with a broken wrist so his results may appear meager but his heart, grit, experience and past results should give him a slot. He has never been afraid to work for the team if he can't take the win.

Reactions: Rollthedice

TRENDING THREADS