• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 744 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
All of you just to easily hyped when one of your former favorites has a reasonable performance. All the evidence that this would happen with both Dumoulin and Nibali has been there for quite some time now. In all honesty I think this performance by Nibali isn't even that bad. If he gets into a break without some of the strongest riders he might even fight for a nice stage win this Giro. Which is all one could hope for.

Well written story about Astana after today's stage here: https://bici.pro/news/professionisti/etna-giro-astana-crolla-come-castello-carte/

I suggest reading it all, what happened with Lopez, and Vino's reaction.

Some excerpts about our man.

"From Vincenzo - says Martinelli - I expected to defend like he did. If there had been one minute less, it would have been much better, but certain things cannot be changed overnight. All the best riders remained in front of him, so...

He said that it took just one moment from feeling good to getting dropped. He held on. Maybe if he had been able to stay with them until later, then he would have been on their wheel. But we knew we had come to the Giro with a leader who was Lopez, so we didn't improvise."

"I want Vincenzo to do this - says Martinelli - to try. He held his own today. He did well, but not great. This is my Vincenzo, understand? I have never thought about GC. Then maybe today you'll think about it, because you're racing at home, you're on Etna, you can't be in a gruppetto. But rather than arriving 11th or 13th in Verona, I'd rather win a stage. That's what I want, what I would like. He's still too close to enter the breakaways, but he's used to racing, I don't have to explain too many things to him."

Strange it hasnt been posted yet but his father said he will be retiring at the end of the year. Annoucememt might be coming later today.
Oh well on the bright side i wont be stuck in front the tv anymore when the weather is great. Wife will be happy.
Sadly, Vincenzo has just confirmed that he will retire at the end of the 2022 season. He wanted to give the news today in Messina, but decided before the Giro.

A little bit of emotion for me at the moment, the greatest rider I have seen race in my lifetime will end his career this year

Sadly, Vincenzo has just confirmed that he will retire at the end of the 2022 season. He wanted to give the news today in Messina, but decided before the Giro.

A little bit of emotion for me at the moment, the greatest rider I have seen race in my lifetime will end his career this year

There were some rumours about his retirement and we (as fans) kind of expected it, so we were prepared, but I share your sentiment. Nibali's career has been a rollercoster of emotions, always unpredictable, with some moments that I will never forget. I agree with all of you about the fact that feels like the end of an era of cycling and I am sad for this, personally I will miss a lot seeing the Squalo in the peloton. Hopefully Vincenzo will be able to show his strenghts once again in this Giro and in the races that he will do in the rest of the season, without any pressure. I enjoyed this ride and I will also enjoy what will be the end of this wonderful journey.

In the post-stage interview on Rai, Nibali said family reasons were mainly behind his decission.

I had the privlege of riding with him for a while in a gran fondo that started and finished in Fiuggi (Lazio) in May of 2013, just prior that is to his first Giro victory. I recall admiring seeing a pro in the type of form required to win a grand tour. We briefly chatted in our reduced group of circa 30 riders and I wished him good luck in the Giro. He was in the gran fondo because he was doing a last altitude period before the Giro at Campo Staffi. And he was doing it there, because it's near where his wife and teammate at the time, Valerio Agnoli, are from.

TRENDING THREADS