• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 752 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GLOsASu.png

Let's go! One last bite!

Got a bad feeling about this...
So, not so bad. Lost 42" from Carapaz, Hindley & Landa and 28" from Almeida, but moved up to 5th on GC. He'll have to fight to keep that spot against Bilbao and unlucky Pozzo though.

Of course 5th on GC despite being a good result won't feel as sweet as a stage win at this point, and unfortunately there seems to be no chance of making it to the podium. Landismo is a fickle mistress and Almeida may at some point be unable to undrop himself, but without crashes and/or abandons (which I don't wish to see) the top four looks set in stone.

The question for me is whether the Turin stage was a never to be reached again peak or if maybe he just suffered a bit more after the rest day, similarly to Etna. If it's the latter, then maybe he can still fight for a stage.

In my opinion, there is little threat from the riders behind him. I don't see Bilbao or Pozzovivo being any stronger, and then there is huge gap to buchman, hirt, valverde.

Problem is also he is 3 minutes behind the top 4.

Let's see what happens
Other than for the ugly crash today Pozzo has actually been just as good of a climber, if not a better one. So if he recovers he might endanger his position. I agree that Bilbao should not be a threat, especially considering how he's working for Landa.

He's sitting in a kind of limbo where it's almost impossible to go up GC but also it is unlikely to go down. An awkward situation for someone who really wants to win a final stage and doesn't care too much for GC.

Other than for the ugly crash today Pozzo has actually been just as good of a climber, if not a better one. So if he recovers he might endanger his position. I agree that Bilbao should not be a threat, especially considering how he's working for Landa.

He's sitting in a kind of limbo where it's almost impossible to go up GC but also it is unlikely to go down. An awkward situation for someone who really wants to win a final stage and doesn't care too much for GC.

Interesting question. What is more valuable for Nibali. Another top 5 GC result or a stage win? I think now that he is in a good GC position he cares a lot about it and won´t risk everything just to get a stage win.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting question. What is more valuable for Nibali. Another top 5 GC result or a stage win? I think now that he is in a good GC position he cares a lot about it and won´t risk everything just to get a stage win.

A top GC result is undervalued on this forum compared to a stage win imo. A stage win would be good, but not at the expense of a top 5 overall (which is especially good at his age), if he's now able to hold onto that.

A top GC result is undervalued on this forum compared to a stage win imo. A stage win would be good, but not at the expense of a top 5 overall (which is especially good at his age), if he's now able to hold onto that.

I don't think it's undervalued so much as it not being "a moment", and it feels like if this is to be his last Giro it would be really nice for him to have one big send off moment at home.

TRENDING THREADS