• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 759 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Back to planet earth:

The Shark's Bite in Valdobbiadene!
Nibali wins the Cycling Stars Criterium
ahead of Cavendish and Ciccone

Nibali attacked at -3 laps from the end, he immediately escaped and for the others there was nothing to do: at 1000 meters from the finish he still had about ten seconds of advantage that allowed him to conquer the Cycling Stars Criterium.

- as reported in Italian here

The 22nd stage of the Giro, average speed of the race 48.5 km/h and the eternal Rebellin. Spettacolo!

Speculation on the last races of Vincenzo Nibali:

26th June Italian Championships in Puglia (confirmed) then one day races like San Sebastian starting the build-up, Burgos and Vuelta. Most likely some Italian fall classics and the last race of his career, Lombardia on the 8th of October.
Will really really be looking forward to this edition of Lombardia! Though I guess it will be a bit sad too.

Bennati, coach of the Italian elite men's national team:

"Who knows, at the end of the season, he might want to make his mark by returning to the Azzurri jersey for the World Championships in Australia. It would be the perfect ending after a career of triumphs."

Nibali:

"I wasn't thinking about the Worlds and I haven't seen the course yet. I like the idea. We will talk about it..."

"That would be a good thing, which will necessarily have to be evaluated later. Season plans often change during the year. In the winter for me there was talk of Roubaix and of doing both Giro and Tour."

"I will be at the Italian Championship on June 26 in Puglia and then prepare for the Vuelta. Coming out of the Spanish race well, you could think about having a good World Championships"

And with what role?

"I think the best thing is to talk about it with Bennati after he comes back from Australia to see what ideas he has once he sees the course...".
"First Worlds was in Geelong in 2010. I was supposed to compete in the one in Mendrisio in 2009, but a month earlier I had fractured my collarbone. I had gone as a spectator and it still hurt. In Australia we came close to the podium with Pozzato, maybe if he had started the sprint earlier, who knows?"

Not sure I like the idea. Traveling to Australia surely requires two weeks of acclimatising, same on the way back. It would make it very difficult to compete in the Italian autumn races I feel. Also, he would have a chance to do well in Italy, in Australia, doubtful to be honest...

''Every race I participate in this year will be the last of the season, so they all have a special effect, but the ones where I won are more so, such as the Italian Championship."

"I won twice as a professional and once as a junior, wearing that jersey is beautiful: I will be excited. The big result is very difficult because the fast wheels will be rewarded, but I definitely want to be in the heart of the competition and give emotions to the audience present, which I hope will be numerous. The distance and the heat may make a difference."

Since nothing much is happening these days with the shark, here's what Bennati says about the Worlds Down Under. Of course Nibali is mentioned.

"Apparently the design does not seem so difficult, but once you do all the reconnaissance you realize that it is not. The roads are wide and smooth, the downhill sections are tackled at great speed with peaks at 90km/h. After the start from Helensburgh is the climb up Mount Keira (8.7 kilometers at 5 percent). The first few kilometers are tough, then the next few are much more rideable. This is just a small appetizer before the Wollongong city circuit."

"There are two climbs. The first of 500 meters, the second much more challenging 1km (Mount Pleasant: 1100 meters at 7.7%, peaks of 14%). From the summit it will then be 7.5km to the finish. Just over 4km are downhill and the last 3 on the flat."

"You need strong people on the climb, but with explosiveness to make a difference on the 1km climb and then hold on the very fast descent. In no time you're 3km from the finish. It takes a classics rider. Dutchman Van der Poel and Frenchman Alaphilippe are two names to keep in mind, but Girmay is not to be underestimated either."

"The best Alberto Bettiol, the one who won Flanders in 2019, could play it. I would like the June 26 Italian Championships in Alberobello to be taken as a test, a chance to show off ahead of the World Championships."

"With Vincenzo I still have to talk. I know for sure that he wants to aim for the Tour of Lombardy and will prepare for it with the Vuelta. The Spanish race ends two weeks before the World Cup. I want to see his availability."

Nibali
returns after the Giro to honour the Italian Nationals RR

Lo Squalo:
“Retirement at the end of 2022?
I don't think I'll change my mind,
But Basso's proposal ... "
As paywalled in italiano here:

Current generation(s) of riders show that there is no need for such things as a „retirement“ as a pro cyclist.

Rebellin shows it best: he‘s 51 and still achieves Top10-20 results in 1.1 and 2.1 races.

Valverde and Nibali would be the next ones to do so.

Rebellin, Nibali and Valverde all are or have been world class for a long time. Such riders certainly could and can ride as CT riders aged 60, or older. So then they could retire, aged 62 or 65 - just as most non pro cyclists.

If it‘s their passion, their favourite lifestyle, why stop it - if they are still good enough.

Most Directeurs Sportifs in the team cars would love to still ride on two wheels within the peloton…

Nibali

Lo Squalo:
Yea, but then he dissed those not racing, saying that when he went to the Tour the Italian road championship was obligatory to race "out of respect," il bravo siciliano che è, that he audaciously went to win and thus can't let slide those who decline to race (who are going to the Tour). This made me think of Ganna, but if that were the case, then it's just bull...sh...it. As Ganna has bigger fish to fry on 29 June.

Nibali

Lo Squalo:

In short, for Sunday not many hopes, unknown shape. Started training 10 days ago and basically this is the beginning of the second part of the season. After he'll go to altitude training and is not sure what races he'll do before the Vuelta.

Basso had a vague "unretirement" offer for him during the Giro, to continue next year with Eolo until MSR and Tour of Sicily, Nibali said no. He is still determined to quit but... has to analyze further, while contemplating to do mountain bike races.

Reactions: Carols
In short, for Sunday not many hopes, unknown shape. Started training 10 days ago and basically this is the beginning of the second part of the season. After he'll go to altitude training and is not sure what races he'll do before the Vuelta.

Basso had a vague "unretirement" offer for him during the Giro, to continue next year with Eolo until MSR and Tour of Sicily, Nibali said no. He is still determined to quit but... has to analyze further, while contemplating to do mountain bike races.

Only he can decide if making all the sacrifices required are worth it. Mountain bike races without any expectations except having fun is very different then trying to remain competitive at the elite road race level where Huge Expectations are placed on him due to his palmares.

If he wants to enjoy other pursuits or cycling for fun or a job in the sport off the bike, I say Thanks for all the Thrills Vincenzo! He has to be a rich man; he can do whatever he pleases.

Oh what I'd give to see him win Lombardia as his swan song and go out like Contador did! Then stay in the sport off the bike so we still get to see and hear from him.

Clipboard.jpg

After holidays in June, some more relaxed training at home and national championships, Vincenzo is now doing training work up at Livigno for the next goals in this season.

Notable that he is doing both TT bike work and MTB training in addition to usual road rides, maybe just having fun, but could suggest some goals coming up.

For me it is sad to think that this is likely the last altitude training camp of his career.

Looks like first race back will be Castilla y Leon two day race in end of July. Astana brings a strong team with De la Cruz and Superman Lopez.

After holidays in June, some more relaxed training at home and national championships, Vincenzo is now doing training work up at Livigno for the next goals in this season.

Notable that he is doing both TT bike work and MTB training in addition to usual road rides, maybe just having fun, but could suggest some goals coming up.

For me it is sad to think that this is likely the last altitude training camp of his career.

Looks like first race back will be Castilla y Leon two day race in end of July. Astana brings a strong team with De la Cruz and Superman Lopez.

It should be a strong race as S.Yates will also appear at this race.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS