• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
On Rai today they said that Nibali requested on the contract with Astana that he will ride Giro in 2013.

And after the podium he confirmed that he will have a press conference very soon for explain his future by saying he didnt put a sign yet (but this could be due to UCI's 5th August rule).

Good he is focusing on the Giro for next year, he can win it :)

Any chance that with the Schlecks possibly joining Astana he'll look elsewhere before signing? He did just podium at le Tour, I'm sure there will be additional offers! I was fine with Astana until the yahoos got linked to them :(

Would someone kindly post comments from the press conf? Here in the USA I'll not be able to get it. Thanks!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Good he is focusing on the Giro for next year, he can win it :)

Any chance that with the Schlecks possibly joining Astana he'll look elsewhere before signing? He did just podium at le Tour, I'm sure there will be additional offers! I was fine with Astana until the yahoos got linked to them :(

Would someone kindly post comments from the press conf? Here in the USA I'll not be able to get it. Thanks!

The deal with Nibali was already done and it was a very decent offer from Astana and I doubt 3th place in the tour change that much.

And I don't think there will be too much problem if AS joined Astana, they can definitely focus on different racing programs. The only race they may clash is LBL, but that is just one race and co-leadership with Iglinski should solve the problem.

maxmartin said:
The deal with Nibali was already done and it was a very decent offer from Astana and I doubt 3th place in the tour change that much.

And I don't think there will be too much problem if AS joined Astana, they can definitely focus on different racing programs. The only race they may clash is LBL, but that is just one race and co-leadership with Iglinski should solve the problem.

Yes but if Nibali is ever to win le Tour he doesn't need Andy around :(

Carols said:
Yes but if Nibali is ever to win le Tour he doesn't need Andy around :(

I agree, but I don't think Nibali would be able to win Le Tour the next couple of years with Contador around anyway. Better focus on the Giro and/or Vuelta and leave the second place streak to Andy.

I concur with Max here, racing schedules for the two riders differs a lot (mostly cos Andy' schedule is three weeks long).

Carols said:

If there's a video around I can translate it for you.

Parrulo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-i-want-to-win-all-three-grand-tours

my boy nibali certainly is ambitious. i think he can get 2 but getting a tour on the next few years will be hard with contador still young enough to last a few more years and whole bunch of young guns stepping up.

still, go nibbs!!!

Its refreshing to hear. We have grown so accustomed to riders focusing on a single goal, to hear one speak about wanting to achieve in all the grand tours is encouraging.

I find it difficult to understand the criticism of Vincenzo, to make a podium at a Grand Tour means you were competitive, and in a span of 2 years he has podiumed 4 times.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
Its refreshing to hear. We have grown so accustomed to riders focusing on a single goal, to hear one speak about wanting to achieve in all the grand tours is encouraging.

I find it difficult to understand the criticism of Vincenzo, to make a podium at a Grand Tour means you were competitive, and in a span of 2 years he has podiumed 4 times.

Without any doubt, he is one of the most consistent GT contender out there and he is also extremely active in monuments like MSR, LBL and tour of lombardy.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame (for me) he's leaving Liquigas but hopefully he can continue to improve at Astana, he's rode with a lot of desire this year and would love to see him win at least a Giro in the future.

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Just for the record: meanwhile, Nibali has won the Criterium van Boxmeer.

media_xll_1291408.jpg

boxmeer_jpg_1030800q.jpg

TRENDING THREADS