• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vingegaard and Pogacar in 2022 and 2023 Tours de France

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
4. Vingegaard recovers better (or perhaps is less wasteful in his use of energy) over 3 weeks.

Vingegaard would win the 22/23 tours no matter what prep Pogi had and I think this is borderline obvious.
I think he recovers better, he expanded as much or more energy as Pogacar last year; always at the front till into the last km, taking pulls, and responding to attacks from UAE riders himself. Now whether that was due to Pogacar’s injury is up for debate but 2022 he recovered far better than Pog.

I think the prep Pogacar needed for 2022 was the teams swapped, then he either wins or is closer to Vingegaard. If they swapped teams last year Vinge wins by a bigger margin.

I think what is likely the most "correct" statements about these 2 riders are:

1. They are way better than any other rider who considers riding fast up hills and mountains at the moment (including Roglic)

2. I believe Pogi's "floor" level is extremely high making him able to win most races from february to October, while Vingegaard seems to have a slightly steeper form curve (I'd give pogi a 70/30 win/loss ratio if they meet outside of a gt)

3. Vingegaard is a better long mountain (perhaps high altitude?) climber. If the relevant climb is 45+ minutes I give him a 60/40 win/loss ratio and this ratio becomes higher in a 2nd/3rd week gt based on my next point.

4. Vingegaard recovers better (or perhaps is less wasteful in his use of energy) over 3 weeks.

5. Pogi is far more explosive (duh)

6. I believe Pogi has a better "engine" or whatever you want to call the ability to perfrom well over 250km/do 80km solo effort.

Vingegaard would win the 22/23 tours no matter what prep Pogi had and I think this is borderline obvious.
Not sure about 2023