• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voight crash

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Any news on Jens? That crash looked nasty and I hope he's not too badly hurt!! He's always so much fun to watch as he puts on a smackdown and I'll miss seeing his gutsy pulls for the next week.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Pookie said:
Any news on Jens? That crash looked nasty and I hope he's not too badly hurt!! He's always so much fun to watch as he puts on a smackdown and I'll miss seeing his gutsy pulls for the next week.
"He is seriously injured, but conscious. He was able to move," said a visibly shaken team manager Bjarne Riis to the German press agency dpa.

A motorcycle carrying a photographer narrowly avoided hitting the fallen 37-year-old. "I saw him laying there with closed eyes and blood on his face," the driver said, adding that he had suspected the worst.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voigt-in-hospital-after-horrific-crash

Sounds very nasty.

A

Anonymous

was a nasty crash..

one thin we are trying to work out rewatching it on sky+ there is just after he hits the floor a scattering or white particles appear all over the road from him, initially we thought bloody hell its his teath, but we are assuming glasses, or maybe helmet fragments, anyone managed to work it out?

its not visisble in the youtube videos

images here> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxTJMjiBKw0 BUT NOT PRETTY

Gutted for him, really really like lens, great rider, and wicked personality

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
was a nasty crash..

one thin we are trying to work out rewatching it on sky+ there is just after he hits the floor a scattering or white particles appear all over the road from him, initially we thought bloody hell its his teath, but we are assuming glasses, or maybe helmet fragments, anyone managed to work it out?

its not visisble in the youtube videos

His mouth is pretty bloody in the pictures, so unfortunately, there's a possibility that those were teeth. That hurts just to type that.

A

Anonymous

i hope not, we saw about maybe 8 or 10 white objects like small pebbles..

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Man, I hate the mountain descent crashes, more than all the other ones. Reminds me how extreme our sport can be (and sometimes I think of this when I am going over 80 kph on a descent!)

Jens is quite the character and hopefully, this means a speedy and full recovery.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I seen the white particles also, I was thinking it was pieces from his bike. Road debris maybe? I hope they are not his teeth, but he does have some bad facial injuries:(

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
autologous said:
teeth??? what, they all just flew out out of his mouth at once, even the molars? get a grip.

the fragments are coming from the back wheel as the bike lays down . probably sparks as the derailleur grinds against the pavement, maybe also the chainstay disintegrating, some pedal, too.

http://nl.tinypic.com/player.php?v=33n926f&s=3

Much better quality vid. There is no doubt that it's from his chainstay disintegrating on impact.

A

Anonymous

schadenfreude said:
also known as sparks.

not sparks, definately something physical, as i say, our assumption was glasses, bit of a helmet etc

titan_90 said:
Much better quality vid. There is no doubt that it's from his chainstay disintegrating on impact.

thank you for answering the question lol.. we couldnt find a decent enough video online and had not recorded the sky

May 13, 2009
Visit site
It wasnt his glasses, You can see them clearly tumbling by him intact in the youtube video, towards the end of it.
They look like sparks.
It looks like he wasnt expecting that little hump and it launched him foward on the bike.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Must admit I thought it was sparks.

A bit of blood generally looks worse than it is. Small cuts in the face and head can bleed like hell. Apparently he has been taken for a MRI of head and neck. He was conscious and looked like he was moving his arms so hopefully nothing too bad.

Get well soon Jens.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The article says his front wheel slipped but from the video it looks like something happened with his rear wheel. He hits a rise in the road and you can see the back wheel coming off the road and it immediately goes sideways. Yikes! Here's to a speedy recovery.

A

Anonymous

schadenfreude said:
also known as sparks.

I don't want to agree with this one, but I think they were sparks from the rear derailleur. I just don't see how they could be teeth because they didn't appear to originate anywhere near his head. I think that or somehow pieces of his frame or something. I don't think it was organic.

There was a hump in the road. In the video you can see the Rabobanker in front of him also jumps. I think the front wheel slides on the center line.

(According to Lance, according to Fränk Schleck Jens is doing ok.)

Thoughtforfood said:
I don't want to agree with this one, but I think they were sparks from the rear derailleur. I just don't see how they could be teeth because they didn't appear to originate anywhere near his head. I think that or somehow pieces of his frame or something. I don't think it was organic.

argh-Picard.jpg

TRENDING THREADS