• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Catalunya 2013 - Stage 3: Vidreres → Vallter 2000 (180km)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Valverde could have dropped J-Rod and Wiggins pretty easily in the last part and even won the stage today if he wanted to. Instead he played it ultra safe and gifted the stage to Quintana.

Enviable belief in Valverde. :) Why don't you think so if nominally the stage suited Valverde and Rodriguez equally?

JRanton said:
Was Purito lacking something or did Quintana just make it seem that way?

The gradient of this climb was pretty pathetic. I don't think you can blame the riders for the lack of action.

yes you can

Vallter2000.gif

if this is pathetic ,then madona di campiglio and col de manse...are what?

30 guys in one minute and the climb at 2150 m altitude perfect for big gaps...
when i see disgusting coward racing,i call it.
and this was at its finest

jens_attacks said:
yes you can

Vallter2000.gif

Well, i'm sure it will be forgotten, ignored or denied by the haters, but Sky did not bother with a proper train on this stage, so people are going to need a new explanation.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
yes you can

Vallter2000.gif

Typical stage without a proper attacking initiative. Strictly speaking, 2008-2011 GT years were very similar to today's stage. Actually, I'd call this stage classics of our days, howsoever sad it would sound.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd prefer Gesink to win the Giro, but one has to admit Wiggins attacked quite well, given that was his debut attacking move. Manner of pedaling reminds Armstrong and Contador... :p

jens_attacks said:
yes you can

Vallter2000.gif

I suppose looking at the profile you have a point. It just didn't seem that steep at all when I was watching it and it looked like they were going at a pretty hard tempo for most of the climb. Strange one.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Wiggins attacking, I never thought I'd see the day. I still don't like Wiggins and think he's a boring rider, but credit where credits due, kudos on that attack.

Quintana looked great, comfortably just sitting there before he danced away from everyone in seconds. Really happy to see him get the win, I've anxiously been waiting for him to get his first win. :)
Also nice to see Pinot and Stetina up there, good results for them.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
I don't think it was steep enough to attack earlier and be successful.

ugh, not steep enough??.. i thought the gradient was like 12%? otherwise sky would have been driving in the front already since the bottom of the climb?