• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Catalunya 2013 - Stage 4: Llanars → Port Ainé (217 kms)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Katusha's problem was that if they had helped keep the pace high early on to catch the break, Sky would have had at least one person left at the end and JRod would not have managed to gap Wiggins.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
Katusha's problem was that if they had helped keep the pace high early on to catch the break, Sky would have had at least one person left at the end and JRod would not have managed to gap Wiggins.

He didn't need to gap Wiggins though.

Morbius said:
That's the last time that Sky put someone in a break

We don't know if Pate did any work in the break (I doubt it). Movistar were pulling until Valverde crashed. The gap went from 2:30 to 4:30 in the space of a few minutes when presumably the peloton were waiting for news on Valverde. Clearly that was a critical moment.

Uran, Lopez and Cataldo were so weak it's almost as if they were pulling at some point earlier in the day. Either that or they've just lost form/tired after PN/Tirreno.

Morbius said:

Maybe and I suppose as it turns out the race is still very winnable from this point for Purito. The last stage is great for him and Martin needs to recover from today's effort.

JRanton said:
B team at worst.

Katusha was the biggest fail today. After Valverde crashed out they should have done more work to pull the break back. Instead they sat back, with two riders in the break who were never going to win GC.

Why? Looking at the results, it's obvious Porte's team was the A Team, Froome's team was B Team, and Wiggins team is C Team :D

The Hitch said:
no, i think Quintana is slightly better climber than Valverde already. The 4th rider i would rank above Quintana (and i get im probably the last person in the world to still do so) is Andy.

I tend to agree, regarding Schleck. I'd still put him up there as well - at least through this year's Tour.

I spy a tilt upwards on that penultimate stage. Martin could really rue that celebration. Purito for the GC win.

A shame that Nairo missed the break on that descent in the 1st stage.

I miss a stage and it turns out to be damn exciting. no surprises there.
Feel sorry for Valverede, hope he recovers well. It seems Quintana rode well today, 3rd on stage and in GC.:)

Congrats to Martin too, but he will have to ride well on stages 6 & 7 to keep the lead.