• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2020, Spain, February 5 - February 9

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah that time Groenewegen beat him through timing not by going markedly faster. In fact Jakobsen was closing when they were both in the wind at the end. Still though I’d say winning again wasn’t bad for Groenewegen’s morale either.

Top quality Dutch sprinters are like busses, wait ages and then two come along at once.

I don’t have much to justify this beyond their ages and a hunch, but I expect Jakobsen to end up even faster than Grnwgn. Obviously Dylan currently has the edge, but Fabio has been exceptionally fast very young.
I also think Jakobsen is better at holding the wheel of his train. Groenewegen often lost the wheel in the past. Only reason he still ended up winning is because he's damn fast.

But yeah, for now Groenewegen is a few years older and simply more powerful. He's really muscular, reminds me a bit of Greipel in pure power sprinting

Agreed. Tomorrow's final climb does look like the classic Spanish climb. For me, I'm hoping Alejandro can get his first win of the season tomorrow.
I will be firmly on Team Pogi but got to say it’s impressive how every single year Don Alejandro turns up for the early season in good shape and ready to win yet still able to hold it to win in the hilly classics 3 months later.

Reactions: Koronin
I will be firmly on Team Pogi but got to say it’s impressive how every single year Don Alejandro turns up for the early season in good shape and ready to win yet still able to hold it to win in the hilly classics 3 months later.

Yup, he is consistently at a very high level. I think he gets treated a bit unfair sometimes when he doesnt win or has a "bad race". Considering how hard it is to be that consistent or even win races as a cyclist. Someone like Valverde we just used to see always up there in every race he lines up for, that we dont really appreciate it the same or like we should sometimes. Whether you a fan or hate him.

Yup, he is consistently at a very high level. I think he gets treated a bit unfair sometimes when he doesnt win or has a "bad race". Considering how hard it is to be that consistent or even win races as a cyclist. Someone like Valverde we just used to see always up there in every race he lines up for, that we dont really appreciate it the same or like we should sometimes. Whether you a fan or hate him.

I am always impressed at how motivated he is and how hard his training must be.

As for today's climb, here is the profile

EQPfnJIXUAAGPGj

EPJBfcoWoAAyPpX

I also think Jakobsen is better at holding the wheel of his train.
Maybe i should pay more attention in relation to Groenewegen but i never got the impression that this was a strength of Jakobsen. If you compare it to other sprinters, he's often MIA and outside of the top 10, because he simply wasn't where he was supposed to be. Luckily for him, he often wins when he is in position. For reference, in California last year, i think he was able to contest two sprints, of which he won one. Compare to Philipsen, who contested five and won none.

Did the graphic just* refer to Bilbao as Lopez? You'd think the graphics team for a Spanish race would know how Spanish names work.
And his maternal family name isn't even Lopez, it's Lopez de Armentia.

*By "just" I of course mean "several minutes ago", because I actually had to type this first…

TRENDING THREADS