• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta 2020, Portugal, February 19 - February 23

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very interested in Van Wilder as well here. I heard from his mother he isn't doing freak trainingschedules yet and neither is he really looking after losing weight (Sunweb advised him not to iirc), but i did see some Strava climbs from l'Avenir where he was 30 seconds faster on a climb also in the 2016 l'Avenir, than Gaudu (who won the 2016 edition). Though the rest of the stage before the final climb was not the same.

Which also basically means being interested in what Leknessund, who is one year older, does here. In most U23 stageraces last year, he was around Van Wilder's level (but usually a place or two higher). He will also join Van Wilder and Arensman at Sunweb next year.

Last edited:
It's kind of a shame though that they didn't let him go to campus before turning pro.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Wvv
Official Roadbook: http://voltaaoalgarve.com/files/va2020-livro-oficial.pdf

The Volta ao Algarve Cofidis has become even more international as it will be broadcast in 83 countries. In Portugal, the race can be seen through Eurosport2 and TVI24.
Eurosport will broadcast all stages live on Eurosport channels throughout Europe, Asia and Australia, making a total of 65 countries. In addition, it will provide access to the race across Europe on its digital platform, Eurosport Player.
SKY Sports will be the channel where you can watch the Volta ao Algarve in New Zealand and TV2 Norway will broadcast on an open channel inside the country. The race will also reach Latin America, with Claro Sports, and can be seen in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
The TV broadcast will also be complemented with coverage from the Global Cycling Network, an online platform with nearly two million followers on Youtube and over one million on Facebook. GCN promises daily highlights of the event, and will also include content from Volta ao Algarve into its weekly programme, the GCN Race Show.
All this coverage of national and international media brings an increased international projection, both for the race and for the Algarve region itself.

Last edited:
Official Roadbook: http://voltaaoalgarve.com/files/va2020-livro-oficial.pdf

The Volta ao Algarve Cofidis has become even more international as it will be broadcast in 83 countries. In Portugal, the race can be seen through Eurosport2 and TVI24.
Eurosport will broadcast all stages live on Eurosport channels throughout Europe, Asia and Australia, making a total of 65 countries. In addition, it will provide access to the race across Europe on its digital platform, Eurosport Player.
SKY Sports will be the channel where you can watch the Volta ao Algarve in New Zealand and TV2 Norway will broadcast on an open channel inside the country. The race will also reach Latin America, with Claro Sports, and can be seen in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
The TV broadcast will also be complemented with coverage from the Global Cycling Network, an online platform with nearly two million followers on Youtube and over one million on Facebook. GCN promises daily highlights of the event, and will also include content from Volta ao Algarve into its weekly programme, the GCN Race Show.
All this coverage of national and international media brings an increased international projection, both for the race and for the Algarve region itself.
The other day, during one of the San Juan stages, I asked in the chat stream of GCN's coverage on YouTube which upcoming road races they will be showing. In answering, whoever man's their social media/chat streams mentioned Provence (which they are, in fact, showing, at least in the USA), another race I forget (maybe Andalucia?), and Algarve. I hope they have full live coverage, and not just highlights and so on. Since the US and Canada aren't mentioned, I'm hoping they are, and it's just georestricted in all the places that are mentioned in the roadbook that you've quoted there. (My one beef with GCN, which I otherwise am very enthusiastic about, is that they don't ever have their race schedule announced more than a week or two out. I suppose this might have something to do with the complexity of rights negotiations, but that's just a guess. I'm leaning on them more this year, since FlobBikes seems to have slightly fewer races scheduled this year).

Reactions: postmanhat
Nice race this one, but I can¨t understand why I have zero access to the TV production... I'm running through fifty-five shite series here and nothing remotely usable comes up. .. help ffs. Bring me the gorgeous landscape of Portugal please.

But just in case the luck is running out, I'm going with the hotsteppers... for most of the stage wins along with the GC.

Nice race this one, but I can¨t understand why I have zero access to the TV production... I'm running through fifty-five shite series here and nothing remotely usable comes up. .. help ffs. Bring me the gorgeous landscape of Portugal please.

But just in case the luck is running out, I'm going with the hotsteppers... for most of the stage wins along with the GC.
See my post a bit higher. Broadcast in 83 countries. I guess only the USA is missing from the list of countries represented by people on this forum. GCN is giving "daily highlights" but it's not clear if they're covering the actual race as well. Anyway, i'm sure there will be plenty of online streams available.

What happened to him? He really seems to be somehow in a rage to be the best. He is already so good but he still has that absolutely killer mindset. What do you think about it?
Wolf pack happened.
Has absolutely nothing to do with the wolfpack. This is the guy that won the Euro junior road race with 10 minutes on the next guy, and took out 2/3rds of the peloton, by lapping them... because he was pissed UCI didn't grant him permission to move up to the U23. When he's "on", he can be relentless.

From what i've gathererd, he's always had that drive. Wanting to be the best. In Dutch, there is a word that has no exact English translation i can think of: "eergierig". It's not just ambitious, but "wanting for honor/eager for glory". I think it's also part of why he quit football. This may be the biggest thing he has in common with Merckx. One of the things that might separate him from other talented riders.

Clearly Jacobsen because he wears a special jersey :)

Reactions: Naico and Faserr
Has absolutely nothing to do with the wolfpack. This is the guy that won the Euro junior road race with 10 minutes on the next guy, and took out 2/3rds of the peloton, by lapping them... because he was pissed UCI didn't grant him permission to move up to the U23. When he's "on", he can be relentless.

From what i've gathererd, he's always had that drive. Wanting to be the best. In Dutch, there is a word that has no exact English translation i can think of: "eergierig". It's not just ambitious, but "wanting for honor/eager for glory". I think it's also part of why he quit football. This may be the biggest thing he has in common with Merckx. One of the things that might separate him from other talented riders.

Славољубив, roughly "gloriousitous"

Not totally positively connoted here, thus maybe not the best comparative. Strongly affected by the cultural frame, that's certain.
As for the attitude, itself - well, just try to recall yourselves at his age and multiply it with his potential.

Great lineup for the race... Overall, not just Steppers.
But better route across the border, imo.
A nice racing week ahead, anyway.

I'm interested to see how Kamnas climbing level stacks up against a stronger field. He could go on the attack with Valverde in Murcia which shows a level he never reached this early. And then how his ITT develops while he is improving his climbing. Being coached by Lorang could be really fruitful for him.

Славољубив, roughly "gloriousitous"

Not totally positively connoted here, thus maybe not the best comparative. Strongly affected by the cultural frame, that's certain.
As for the attitude, itself - well, just try to recall yourselves at his age and multiply it with his potential.

Great lineup for the race... Overall, not just Steppers.
But better route across the border, imo.
A nice racing week ahead, anyway.
Connotation in this case would be more in line with pride and honor. Maybe "glory" wasn't the best description i could have given, but i do feel that's part of it.

Connotation in this case would be more in line with pride and honor. Maybe "glory" wasn't the best description i could have given, but i do feel that's part of it.
Very few adjectives that describe aspirations toward externally recognized characteristics here. And their connotations stand more on the negative side, close to hubris.
And there we have the influence of language and its semantics to the systems of social values in different societies (and denominations). Interesting topic for some cross-cultural research... comparative semantics, far from trivial or unimportant in the contemporary world.

But I doubt the riders will be discussing the topic up the Fóia or Malhão... there's no dilemma when it comes to racing and winning, so forgive me for the digression, it wasn't me who started... honestly.

See my post a bit higher. Broadcast in 83 countries. I guess only the USA is missing from the list of countries represented by people on this forum. GCN is giving "daily highlights" but it's not clear if they're covering the actual race as well. Anyway, i'm sure there will be plenty of online streams available.

Of course it's not broadcast in the US. That isn't exactly surprising.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS