• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta ao Algarve May 5-9 2021

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He does it on uphill sprints.

On every uphill sprint? You are definitely right that both this finish and that one where he was on the hoods in Paris Nice were uphill.

I wonder what his reasoning is. Obviously aero position is less important in a slower sprint, but it still matters. Does he get more power out? It’s the kind of thing I wish interviewers asked about more often.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
On every uphill sprint? You are definitely right that both this finish and that one where he was on the hoods in Paris Nice were uphill.

I wonder what his reasoning is. Obviously aero position is less important in a slower sprint, but it still matters. Does he get more power out? It’s the kind of thing I wish interviewers asked about more often.
I remember him saying in an interview last year that he gets more power on the hoods.

Yeah, one of his former team mates (paul vos I think) explained that he does it on uphill sprints because he can generate more power that way.

Last edited:
Are any of the locals likely to do anything tomorrow? Is it just likely to be Sosa v Kamna?
Rui Costa? Amaro Antunes? Joni Brandao too.

Actually I'm not completely sure Kamna is the hot favorite for this race. He hasn't raced much this year and when he did he went for breaks instead of GC.
I also have a few question marks about Sosa. Wonderful climber for smaller races but inconsistent and a dreadful TTer.

I think the race is quite open.

I'm not sure about Kämna either. His form ends with a questionmark and his team-support is Politt. But in the end there's just the stage today and then not getting left behind on stage 5. He's still a decent time trialer and the competition isn't overwhelming. Rui Costa is in the mix for sure.

If the climbers in this race are not on their best form, a guy like Asgreen (depending on his shape ofc) might actually defend himself very well. He was 6th on mt. Baldy in 2019 beaten only by good climbers, which is a tougher climb than anything they will find here.

If the climbers in this race are not on their best form, a guy like Asgreen (depending on his shape ofc) might actually defend himself very well. He was 6th on mt. Baldy in 2019 beaten only by good climbers, which is a tougher climb than anything they will find here.

Asgreen lost 39s and said his form is not great but there is a chance it could be like Valenciana if the climbers don't go hard today.

TRENDING THREADS