• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
True, this finish is actually pretty similar to the one in Quebec, but I think it's also pretty clear that Evenepoel should be able to sprint. He's not the skinny climber type like Gesink.
In terms of body type yeah.

I don't really remember where the Evenepoel being a complete pancake came from. Can't imagine it was just from getting outsprinted by sprinty boy Colbrelli right?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Has anyone ever gone from not having a sprint at all to being one of the fastest GC riders as rapidly as Evenepoel has? 2019-20 Evenepoel could have started this one in Roglic' wheel and still wouldn't have made the top-5, now he coasts past everyone bar Roglic (who, tbf, was forced to go pretty early) on a hill that probably isn't even half as difficult as the Cauberg. Extraordinary development.
A lot of it is freshness i presume. He's always been great at pacing himself even when on the limit, but i imagine in 2019 he didn't have the same volume as he has now. In 2020 he also won on Alto da Foia, wich also wasn't super steep. Different sprint, surely, but it was the first time he showed he did have some punch.

Pretty stupid move by Remco to get second. He wants to win a stage in his rainbow jersey but now when he'll win a stage later in the race it'll probably be (at least) in the best young riders jersey.

Or are you allowed to deny wearing the young riders jersey when you are World (or National?) Champion?

• Wow
Take it easy.
Remco is gonna win this race. You don't need to find excuses today. Unless you tell me, that you are in a heavy battle with @houtdffan to see who is the remco Evenepoel fan number one.
Um, maybe reread your post and you take it easy. I stated the obvious and you came in claiming i was making excuses, and now are doing it again. Go play your fanboy card elsewhere.

In terms of body type yeah.

I don't really remember where the Evenepoel being a complete pancake came from. Can't imagine it was just from getting outsprinted by sprinty boy Colbrelli right?
If I had to make a one-two for this stage prior to the race, I'd have picked Roglic and Evenepoel, in random order. I understand his fans being quite thrilled he can sprint, but it's not that surprising really.

Pretty stupid move by Remco to get second. He wants to win a stage in his rainbow jersey but now when he'll win a stage later in the race it'll probably be (at least) in the best young riders jersey.

Or are you allowed to deny wearing the young riders jersey when you are World (or National?) Champion?
You can only reject a jersey if you don't lead the classification anyway IIRC.

Reactions: Berflamand
They could and they surely would have had he lost. But how does that make my point any less true?
It's the context in which facts are mentioned that implies their interpretation.
Something being an excuse does neither equate nor imply the thing being a lie. Excuses are a legitimate thing, but they are nevertheless excuses in the sense that they explain why something did or didn't happen, with the subjective position that it would be better if it was otherwise. I think it's a fact you'd preffer it for Remco to win and you provided (probably true?) reasons why it didn't happen. That's a clear example of an excuse. It doesn't even matter if that was not your intention.

Last edited:
The new Remco

FrrPkXUWwAAU1te