• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The new Remco

FrrPkXUWwAAU1te
Barf. Too bad he can't reject it.

• Wow
Reactions: Carols and search
For me it is both, specially now that you highlighted that interpretation and there is no inherent negation between the two.
But as you also implied... you can't hold it against the people to whom the "excuse" interpretation was more striking ;D
I can. Plenty of people made the exact same consideration. It is a simple observation. He was badly positioned, this is a fact and nobody's fault but his own (unless there are things i'm not aware of). Had he not made that mistake, he could have won. Had Evenepoel not made that mistake and won, people would likely have said Roglic was at the front too early and otherwise could have won. It would also have been true and had he not been, he in that case could have won. But it's a good thing that you had me write a longer post for basically no good reason, because any sane person could see with their own eyes that Evenepoel was badly placed, which cost him the win. But i know other people on the forum like my overly long posts when dragged into obnoxious discussions, so it's all good.

• Haha
Reactions: noob and ALC
Remco ought to have been on van Wilder's wheel, but somehow got lost in the run-in to the line. By the time he opened up his sprint on the right, he had to cross over on the left, increasing the distance to the finish, and then ran out of road to overtake Roglic. Although he was surprisingly fast, which indicates his condition must be very good indeed.

By contrast, Roglic was led out perfectly by teammates, but hit the front early with like 300 meters to go. Yet this proved ok, since the run-in to the finish was slightly uphill. Roglic basically positioned himself perfectly and that's what got him the win.

Remco ought to have been on van Wilder's wheel, but somehow got lost in the run-in to the line. By the time he opened up his sprint on the right, he had to cross over on the left, increasing the distance to the finish, and then ran out of road to overtake Roglic. Although he was surprisingly fast, which indicates his condition must be very good indeed.

By contrast, Roglic was led out perfectly by teammates, but hit the front early with like 300 meters to go. Yet this proved ok, since the run-in to the finish was slightly uphill. Roglic basically positioned himself perfectly and that's what got him the win.
And that makes him a winner. No wheelsucking....just smart tactics and 300 meters of power NO ONE matched.

Rogla hit the front far too early, but managed to sustain his sprint pretty well. Remco was a bit too far back, which might have helped him push a little less power from 1k to go to 250m to go, but then he had to make up some distance to reach Rogla's wheel. I believe Rogla hitting the front a bit too early is a bigger hinderence than Remco's position, but it was a nice sprint at the end nonetheless. Bring on the next stages.

I can. Plenty of people made the exact same consideration. It is a simple observation. He was badly positioned, this is a fact and nobody's fault but his own (unless there are things i'm not aware of). Had he not made that mistake, he could have won. Had Evenepoel not made that mistake and won, people would likely have said Roglic was at the front too early and otherwise could have won. It would also have been true and had he not been, he in that case could have won. But it's a good thing that you had me write a longer post for basically no good reason, because any sane person could see with their own eyes that Evenepoel was badly placed, which cost him the win. But i know other people on the forum like my overly long posts when dragged into obnoxious discussions, so it's all good.
I'll admit to having no good reason for debating with you, but that's just me, I often debate for the sake of it, I guess you know for the future, but from what I can tell, you often can't help yourself not to debate either.
If a Roglic fan would have made the same valid observation as you did, nobody would ever say anything about it that could be interpreted as somehow "not good".
I was just pointing out the obvious, that people interpret your statements the way the do, because of them also seing you as a very big Remco fan, which I think is also understandable.
What triggered me, was your response to someone calling out your statement as an excuse, where you defensive position made me think that its a good opportunity for an explanation of the general nature of excuses, which I admit is a thought I have in my mind for ages.

And that makes him a winner. No wheelsucking....just smart tactics and 300 meters of power NO ONE matched.
How does wheelsucking even come up in responding to my post? First of all, in a sprint to the line it's not called "wheelsucking," but "positioning." Secondly, Evenepoel indeed matched Roglic in power over the last 300 meters, but only was badly positioned and thus started way too far back. Roglic played it perfectly, so chapeau, although he was lucky too, because had Evenepoel been better positioned it's likely that the Belgian would have claimed victory, since he was faster.

Roglic has more experience with these his almost signature, trademark finishes. However, tomorrow is a MTF at over 2100 meters. So this will be the first real test for those wanting to win this Vuelta a Catalunya.

Last edited:
How does wheelsucking even come up in responding to my post? First of all in a sprint to the line, it's not called "wheelsucking," but "positioning." Secondly, Evenepoel indeed matched Roglic in power over the last 300 meters, but only was badly positioned and thus started way too far back. Roglic played it perfectly, so chapeau, although he was lucky too, because had Evenepoel been better positioned it's likely that the Belgian would have claimed victory, since he was faster.

Roglic has more experience with these his almost signature, trademark finishes. However, tomorrow is a MTF at over 2100 meters. So this will be the first real test for those wanting to win this Vuelta a Catalunya.
Looking forward to tomorrow!

I was thinking about Nibali and how much he’d be laughing about these two going all in for Catalunya.
2022 jai Hindley win Giro and was 13th overall in catalunya

2019 Carapaz win Giro and was 26th overall in Catalunya

2015 Contador win Giro and was 4th in Catalunya

2014 Nairo win Giro and was 5th overall in Catalunya

2012 Hesjedal win Giro and was 75th overall in catalunya.

Vincenzo would give Sanremo a crack, then get some family time and go to training camp for Giro after

Rogla hit the front far too early, but managed to sustain his sprint pretty well. Remco was a bit too far back, which might have helped him push a little less power from 1k to go to 250m to go, but then he had to make up some distance to reach Rogla's wheel. I believe Rogla hitting the front a bit too early is a bigger hinderence than Remco's position, but it was a nice sprint at the end nonetheless. Bring on the next stages.
Not likely, sorry. Roglic hit the front early yes, but the error was mitigated by the road rising to the line, which made it harder to come around him in the end. And Remco wasn't just a bit back, but terribly positioned to come through for the win.

Had Evenepoel been on his temmate's wheel he likely would have overtaken Roglic, given the burst of speed he showed today. But sprints are won on positioning often more than pure velocity, as was the case today. And I doubt he saved more energy than Roglic before the Slovenian opened up the sprint, because Primoz had two teammates piloting him.

TRENDING THREADS