• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Several other riders said he wasn't.
And also... why would having wins automatically mean you're right? Does that mean Wright will be right once he gets a win?
IIRC the others who agreed is a guy from Bahrain and some GB guy.
Wright being victoryless means he has no experience what it is like to be up front with the best and was probably overzealous when he was clearly overmatched and out of place in the group he was in and as a result did not yield the wheel in front to Rogla when he needed to.

Reactions: acm and Eeslliw
Wright being victoryless means he has no experience what it is like to be up front with the best and was probably overzealous when he was clearly overmatched and out of place in the group he was in and as a result did not yield the wheel in front to Rogla when he needed to.
Hilarious, so you need to win before you‘re allowed to fight for position?

I have seen at least one former World Champion, who was right up there in that group, agree that Wright wasn't at fault.
And given that Wright had already podiumed races, it wasn't the first time he was in the pointy end of race.

But, yeah... this idea that the Bahrain riders are angry at Roglic because he "stole" a victory from Mäder in P-N is absolutely bullcrap!

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I have seen at least one former World Champion, who was right up there in that group, agree that Wright wasn't at fault.
And given that Wright had already podiumed races, it wasn't the first time he was in the pointy end of race.

But, yeah... this idea that the Bahrain riders are angry at Roglic because he "stole" a victory from Mäder in P-N is absolutely bullcrap!
I agree with this. I wrote it in jest in some previous comment.

We have now 2 riders Who in a situación like this, with this small fifferenced in GC, with similar strenthg to his rivals, can change the race and win, Pogacar and Evenepoel. Roglic is a very strong Rider and these last stages suite him very well, but with Evenepoel you have the danger in every small climb. So we have race. I would like to see Landa a little bit better. He had a good oportunity ti win this race, but anyway 4th would be a good place.

2019 Vuelta was good climbing times at the time but not insane.

Actually one climb that's a decent reference for today is Oropa 2017. Completely unipuerto, blasted from the bottom, and Dumoulin did the 2nd time ever behind only Pantani. I think it might have 6.6 or something.

I recall that Quintana's Chalet Reynard climb in Tour de la Provence 2020 is likely the fastest climbing speed of similar duration in recent years (it's even longer, 28 minutes, but a bit steeper). Quintana was absolutely flying and destroyed the field and still his amazing VAM (1868 m/h) was not even close to top guys yesterday (not one but a few).

Last edited:
We have now 2 riders Who in a situación like this, with this small fifferenced in GC, with similar strenthg to his rivals, can change the race and win, Pogacar and Evenepoel. Roglic is a very strong Rider and these last stages suite him very well, but with Evenepoel you have the danger in every small climb. So we have race. I would like to see Landa a little bit better. He had a good oportunity ti win this race, but anyway 4th would be a good place.
I seriously doubt that Pogacar can "change the race and win" this one, no matter how small the fifferenced.

• Haha
Reactions: RedheadDane
The Bahrain stuff isn't just about Mäder at Paris-Nice, it's also about Milan Eržen & the Slovenians in the team apparently not on best terms with Roglič (based on reports I've read). This also spilt into the Slovenian national team as well after Andrej Hauptman left his role as head coach after the 2001 Olympic games (Rog reportedly gets on well with the UAE Slovenians, i.e. especially Hauptman).

And curiously enough, he has not gotten a single top 4 this year. In the months off the bicycle has Primoz Roglic by any chance taken up Voodoo?

Wright should think himself lucky, i.e. just look at what happened to Colbrelli. Voodoo really is a thing in pro-cycling.

Reactions: acm
The Bahrain stuff isn't just about Mäder at Paris-Nice, it's also about Milan Eržen & the Slovenians in the team apparently not on best terms with Roglič (based on reports I've read). This also spilt into the Slovenian national team as well after Andrej Hauptman left his role as head coach after the 2001 Olympic games (Rog reportedly gets on well with the UAE Slovenians, i.e. especially Hauptman).

So, Slovenia is a nation at (cycling-)war with itself?
I'm assuming you mean the 2020 2021 Olympic Games.

Wright should think himself lucky, i.e. just look at what happened to Colbrelli. Voodoo really is a thing in pro-cycling.
Serious beef was kinda obvious by Mohoric' comments after Roglic' crash in the Vuelta

Reactions: acm and Rackham
Looks like QS really wants someone in the break. Cattaneo, Van Wilder and Vervaeke now have all tried, but the peloton doesn't want to let go. This way we might just get a sprint with a reduced bunch. With the modified final certain sprinter teams might try for a sprint.

I recall that Quintana's Chalet Reynard climb in Tour de la Provence 2020 is likely the fastest climbing speed of similar duration in recent years (it's even longer, 28 minutes, but a bit steeper). Quintana was absolutely flying and destroyed the field and still his amazing VAM (1868 m/h) was not even close to top guys yesterday (not one but a few).
Longer as you noted, with the finish 400 m higher. He also attacked with 7.2 km to go (out of 9.55 km).

Average gradients are not all that different (8.96 % vs. 9.19 %). Using [Dr.F] the gradient accounts for 15 m/h difference.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS