• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 83 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, Roglic gifted Pogacar a stage in the stagerace before Pogacar mugged him in the upcoming GT they both rode. Now he gifted Evenepoel a stage...
He also did not chase after Pog at one of the stages on TdF 2020, which came to bite him in the end. Therefore, it is a good principle "no gifts". But OK, now it is the last stage and the GC is sawn up, but still, idk...

Reactions: Carols
I
Could be a fine race if the final day is/was harder. But they get the crowds.

Soler should be a GC contender for this race every year. I used to tout him as a GT contender too...I really don't think UAE cares very much about any race that Pog isn't in, which is OK, I guess.

Roglic in great shape; Remco too. Not much to choose between the two of them at this point in the season. I do think that Remco looks a lot snappier than he used to be, so his sprint isn't a liability anymore. Slowly but surely he's filling in the gaps in his arsenal. Next up: Tactics.
I actually think that flat sprint is the one category Remco might be at least on par or even better than Rogla.

Roglic doing what had to be done, not contesting the final sprint was his way to apologize to Evenepoel from yesterday’s stage, besides he paid the respect owned by the Belgium wonder for being the most entertaining rider of the race.
As UAE tactics, shameful as always, putting Yates to work to close the gap to Soler so they can put Almeida in the podium!! What’s the difference between having Almeida or Soler Top3? Not even a smart move by Almeida, gifting the 3rd place to Soler will make the Spaniard more willing to Work for the Pink Panther in future races!

• Haha
Reactions: Carols and Lequack
I think I wouldn't have contested the sprint either if I were Roglic.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure Soler lost 3rd because of Almeida, it was hard to hold that gap anyway, and it's not like Almeida attacking Montjuic cost him like 40 seconds.
I’m Portuguese and Almeida’s fan but we can’t see Yates working at the front of the peloton when they have a rider up front!

He also did not chase after Pog at one of the stages on TdF 2020, which came to bite him in the end. Therefore, it is a good principle "no gifts". But OK, now it is the last stage and the GC is sawn up, but still, idk...
You can't respond to every attack over the course of 3 weeks, and i assume he thought he could handle Pogacar. At that moment it was still rather early in the TDF and it didn't look like it was Pogacar that would be his main rival.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Roglic doing what had to be done, not contesting the final sprint was his way to apologize to Evenepoel from yesterday’s stage, besides he paid the respect owned by the Belgium wonder for being the most entertaining rider of the race.
As UAE tactics, shameful as always, putting Yates to work to close the gap to Soler so they can put Almeida in the podium!! What’s the difference between having Almeida or Soler Top3? Not even a smart move by Almeida, gifting the 3rd place to Soler will make the Spaniard more willing to Work for the Pink Panther in future races!
I don't think it was their call tbh. I think it was team cars. Why on earth else would Yates do that work? Yates ain't that dumb on his own? And would Almeida be so strong he can on his own get Yates to work for him without team cars demanding it??

I think in their heads it was a backup strategy if Soler wouldn't make it. As dumb as it was.