• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 11: Cambados > Pontevedra I.T.T. (39,4 kms)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Umm no rvp is right to call out cineteq. The guy went hard after anyone who said wiggins would win the tour, calling them absolute idiots.
You always fail at making a point by not providing proof. I never called anybody an idiot, I think you must have confused me with Ryo. Wiggins is NOT my cup of tea, and part of it has to do with your own signature.

Apparently this is Hitch's pro Wiggins signature.
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.

Hopefully in 2 years time I might win the Time Trial and be a credible Time Trial winner because I haven't beated someone by 2 minutes.

Just watched the race.

Well.. Kessiakoff pulled an Peter Velits. Always being a good time trialist and then *BOOM* there is this day that he defeats all the big guns instead of finishing just behind them.

Well the TT was even harder then I thought it was which is kinda obvious looking at the top10. Climbing well was a must today.

Contador beating Froome is nice. Not so much for the GC fight, but for all the people that forgot that Contador is one of the best time trialists in the world. I predicted it would be very close between them and it was.

Gesink seems to do better on flat TTs.

RVPRVP said:
Dont hate Dekker but he has been awful on every climb really and gets beat by Valverde and Purito in an ITT ,i cant see him winning a GT not when Froome is 27 and Contador 29 and Nibali will probably do Giro for a few years now aswell so thats not an option and Gesink will never get a podium in TDF.I do think on top form he could podium a GT but i cant see it ,youve also got Schleck if he sorts his headout.

I think Gesink will be like VDB and Kreuziger,a few top 5 GC results which by the way is not bad atall,i just cant see him taking that next stop.

No one can say he's on bad form either he was brilliant in the olympics.

With the difference that Gesink broke his leg last year and it takes a full year according to docters to regain muscle volume in his right leg.
So in fact you can't compare him with other riders who stagnated until next year.

Next year well see. If he doesn't book any progress uphill next year. I'm willing to admit he'll stay at his current level. But it's too early to tell.

Don't forget Rodriguez was a sub-topper for years and years before he reached his current level at +30. Froome was nowhere until last year. Etc etc.

Kreuziger could also still make a jump as he is 26, just as Gesink.
You should not be too quick to write off riders who hang a little.

Eshnar said:
1 hour? let's say 10 minutes. As I said plenty of times, what's the difference in having Cavendish (or Sagan) bossing a flat sprint or JRod (or Piti) bossing an uphill one? You see the (Sky) train rolling, then @ 1 to go you expect someone may try to anticipate, then at 200m to go the sprint starts and it's over.
But a lot of guys in the flat case say "omg how boring this is" and in the uphill say "omg how awesome this is"... I. Don't. Get. It.

As for the breakaway stages yes, I find them boring too. But it's not enough to call this amazing...

Instead of 30 second action, we have utterly amazing 5 minutes action in those finishes :D

Even though you put multiple mountains on a stage, riders still neutralize everything before final 5km :eek:

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
With the difference that Gesink broke his leg last year and it takes a full year according to docters to regain muscle volume in his right leg.
So in fact you can't compare him with other riders who stagnated until next year.

Next year well see. If he doesn't book any progress uphill next year. I'm willing to admit he'll stay at his current level. But it's too early to tell.

Don't forget Rodriguez was a sub-topper for years and years before he reached his current level at +30. Froome was nowhere until last year. Etc etc.

Kreuziger could also still make a jump as he is 26, just as Gesink.
You should not be too quick to write off riders who hang a little.

True i get what you're saying his injury was terrible and im not writing him off, i think he can get top 5's.and when you say Froome was nowhere until last year that is true but you cant compare them because Gesinks's level as never been anywere near what Froome as done.

And when you say about his recovery from injury you know aswell as i know he has recoverd by now he looked pretty good in amgen no?

I just dont rate his chance's,their is too many better rider's i think you'd agree this is a fair statement. It's the same with Mollema he did a great vuelta last year and every stage has suited him well and he is not delivering.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I think I'm missing something with the 'insult to cycling' stuff?

People just miss the racing style of the 80's and blame the parcours. In case of doubt, please check the results/reports of Pau-Luchon 1983 and Pau-Luchon 2012. Oh.. it must be the improved tarmac

RVPRVP said:
True i get what you're saying his injury was terrible and im not writing him off, i think he can get top 5's.and when you say Froome was nowhere until last year that is true but you cant compare them because Gesinks's level as never been anywere near what Froome as done.

And when you say about his recovery from injury you know aswell as i know he has recoverd by now he looked pretty good in amgen no?

I just dont rate his chance's,their is too many better rider's i think you'd agree this is a fair statement. It's the same with Mollema he did a great vuelta last year and every stage has suited him well and he is not delivering.

Until Vuelta last year. Froome was never anywhere near Gesinks level. He's best result wasn't even CLOSE to what Gesink had done.
So how can you be so sure and definite?

Ofcourse it's not the obvious things. But stranger things have happened, like with fRoome himself... Froome was a nobody before the Vuelta last year

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Until Vuelta last year. Froome was never anywhere near Gesinks level. He's best result wasn't even CLOSE to what Gesink had done.

Ofcourse it's not the obvious things. But stranger things have happened, like with fRoome himself... Froome was a nobody before the Vuelta last year

What i mean is Gesink has had gd results for a few years ,but what Froome as done compared to Gesink is absolute another planet ,Gesink has been a good cyclist for a while and never achieved what Froome has Froome's podiumed 2 GT's and arguably would of won them both.thats what i mean.I dont think Gesink has ever won a WT stage or a WT GC i could be wrong though.Im not hating dude but like that ryo dude said other day you cant blame injuries , espescially when Gesink won a mountain stage and done a great TT in Amgen this year wich was an outstanding achievement.He as not done much this vuelta the most annonymous 5th place ever,look at the ITT what was all that about.:)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Me also...I enjoyed the Giro especially Rabottini's epic ride. The Tour was ok; just barely.

But 4 GC guys going at it every non-sprint stage sure is a lot more exciting to watch, at least for me!!!

And me:)...definitely:rolleyes:

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
And also the more GC rider's the better id love to see him win a GT,its my fav part of this great sport of ours i love GT rider's my fav rider is the king diesel Ivan Basso.Im just saying what i see i hope he prove's me wrong,theirs no shame in getting top 5 GC results whatsoever.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
RVPRVP said:
And also the more GC rider's the better id love to see him win a GT,its my fav part of this great sport of ours i love GT rider's my fav rider is the king diesel Ivan Basso.Im just saying what i see i hope he prove's me wrong,theirs no shame in getting top 5 GC results whatsoever.

There is if you know you can do better than that.

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
What a great ride by Purito today this season he has been in the form of his life look,even in the Giro he did a great ITT .

I so hope he wins a GT.

Eshnar said:
1 hour? let's say 10 minutes. As I said plenty of times, what's the difference in having Cavendish (or Sagan) bossing a flat sprint or JRod (or Piti) bossing an uphill one? You see the (Sky) train rolling, then @ 1 to go you expect someone may try to anticipate, then at 200m to go the sprint starts and it's over.
But a lot of guys in the flat case say "omg how boring this is" and in the uphill say "omg how awesome this is"... I. Don't. Get. It.

As for the breakaway stages yes, I find them boring too. But it's not enough to call this amazing...

The sprint is a simple speed test. Fastest from point a to b wins. Like a tt.

A uphill sprint, which lasts way longer, involves something called attacks, by which 1 rider tries to drop or crack the others. Those are exciting to watch.

Oh and it has gc implications. not only the time itself but also in predicting who will be stronger/weaker in the remaining stages.

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Froome19 said:
There is if you know you can do better than that.

Yes but this is my point,can he do better in strong fields ?
Next year for example you know he will do the tour are you telling me that with Gesink's climbing ability he can get a podium or win?.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Me also...I enjoyed the Giro especially Rabottini's epic ride. The Tour was ok; just barely.

But 4 GC guys going at it every non-sprint stage sure is a lot more exciting to watch, at least for me!!!

Agreed, the tour this year sucked in my opinion, and lacked any real GC battles on climbs. This years Vuelta so far has been great and is making up for a boring tour.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I agree that we cant write Gesink off. He hasnt gone through a major race on top health in a long time, and when he does, it stands to reason that he will perform better.

TRENDING THREADS