• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2013 route

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Mega lol at Monte da Groba getting the same categorisation as Port de Balès.

groba.jpg

bales01.PNG

Edit:

When I laughed at that I hadn't yet found out Monte Naranco was category 1. LOL. I thought it was strange enough when Urkiola got it, but that's as steep as Peña Cabarga and a similar length. This is a kilometre longer than those two, but barely half as steep.

Alto+del+Naranco.gif

Unipublic also categorised Alisas as a 1st cat last year. And Ordino this year. Envalira is a HC, but Balès somehow isn't. Etc. And Ezaro is only 3rd cat.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
but who will be this great climber?

For example the guy in your avatar

icefire said:
The ITT in 2012 was almost 40kms, so there is not much difference in that aspect, although the course this year is in a windy area. As for the great climbers, it's too early to say but I doubt any of the best will peak for the Vuelta.

It was 40km but nullified many kms for the technical descent or the narrow roads of the city host. And as you said it was a wind protected place unlike the one of this year from what I heard.

11_perfil.png

Alto_Monte_Castrove_profile.jpg

I think hardly 20 flat km, not windy and of course the fitness factor appeared, played at Purito area.

I see more favourite Valverde than Purito at this 2013 parcours.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
Extremely short (15kms) and highly dangerous loop around Envalira in the Andorra stage. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the parcours of that stage at some point before September.

What's wrong with Creueta, Ordino, Rabassa and Gallina?

Tunnels are the next great innovation from Unipublic. Two in the same stage: Cadí and Envalira :D

Descender said:
Unipublic also categorised Alisas as a 1st cat last year. And Ordino this year. Envalira is a HC, but Balès somehow isn't. Etc. And Ezaro is only 3rd cat.

I think since the revamping of the mountains classification in 2010 the Vuelta only gives ESP to one climb a year, the Cima Alberto Fernández (Cima Coppi equivalent I guess - it was Bola 2010/12 and Sierra Nevada 2011). Envalira certainly looks like being the ceiling of the race this year, so that would be why it has that. Then again, Haza Llana and Anglirú have it this year, so looks like they're revamping the classification again.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He probably won't race la Vuelta even though he says he likes the parcours. He says that at every route presentation :rolleyes:

I think he will. If he does a soft first half of the season I bet Tour-Vuelta-Worlds are his goals

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Nah. He never rides anything after le tour unless he has to, like in 2008 and 2012

2009 Armstrong-Bruyneel/Vinokourov
2010 banned for a positive
2011 From March to July racing
2012 Coming from the ban

Let him 2013 to race and we will see what kind of calendar he does.;)

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The lack of time trial kilometres makes me think that is not a very good route, but the Pyrenees and the stagr of Purche and Haza-Lana are vry good stages.
Peña Cabarga is a dissapointing stage again.

With only more time trials kilometres and two details this vuelta route could be great.

Forunculo said:
2009 Armstrong-Bruyneel/Vinokourov
2010 banned for a positive
2011 From March to July racing
2012 Coming from the ban

Let him 2013 to race and we will see what kind of calendar he does.;)

Contador said he thinks its difficult to fit in a second gt when the whole season focus is the tour. In other words he has no intention of doing the vuelta.

Certainly better than expected. "Descender" had prepared us for the worst.

4 proper mountain stages. Peyragudes stage is awesome, even though we are seeing a repeat finish of last years' Tour.

The TTT is a tad too long for my liking though. I would have preferred it to be around 20Km .

ITT should have been around 45KM and much flatter.