• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2013 route

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hayzer114 said:
Some early predictions???

boring_tv.jpg

Bavarian... your beloved Tour of California has put out a half decent route for once this year, I think anyway, can't remember. I can remember the route for the Vuelta for several years gone, however.

We need to do a comparative tarmac analysis before we can truly say what the best race is, though.

after watching the entire presentation- I'd say is going to be a really good one-just the fact that it begins with 30k TTT & the 2nd stage finalizes with a 1cat MTF:eek:- Valverde was sort of stunned by the amount of MTFs-specially the 3 in a row on the 2nd week -Contador seemed a bit ok-but all of them-along with Samu & Purito agreed on this edition being a tough one.

Vuelta cannot be taken seriously. How many MTF and uphill finishes are there?
The race kicks off with TTT and 3 MTF/uphill finishes. What the organizers will do if a GC contender will get 3 minutes on the first MTF and the race will be decided?

guncha said:
Vuelta cannot be taken seriously. How many MTF and uphill finishes are there?
The race kicks off with TTT and 3 MTF/uphill finishes. What the organizers will do if a GC contender will get 3 minutes on the first MTF and the race will be decided?

lance is not racing
and those aren't exactly mountains
the organizers do what the audience wants.

jens_attacks said:
lance is not racing
and those aren't exactly mountains
the organizers do what the audience wants.
These "aren't exactly mountains" tend to be like 10%+ stuff. Profiles look nasty enough. Because of too many MTFs, high mountain stages became very predictable in Vuelta 2012 and there were hardly any action in all but one stage. 5 - 6 high mountain stages plus 1 - 2 medium mountain stage formula is the best.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hehe, the Vuelta will finish BavarianRider with a weak TT field. Perhaps, Samu will be the strongest timetrialist in the race, then... Nibali. :D:)

Ferminal said:
There are only 5 - 6 high mountain stages... the rest are either short uphill finishes or medium rolling climbs to the finish. GC contenders will only do anything on these days (proper attack not sprinting at 1km) if they are desperate.
Get 15 - 20 seconds in uphill sprint, add 20 bonus seconds and it is significant time. This race can be decided in stages like that not in high mountains.

airstream said:
Hehe, the Vuelta will finish BavarianRider with a weak TT field. Perhaps, Samu will be the strongest timetrialist in the race, then... Nibali. :D:)

Samu time trailing is more based on his technically skills, not on his power isn't it.? I'm just not sure what that means for the hilly Vuelta time trail.
Few years ago Marzio Bruseghin would have won such a tim trail.

Hmm, I was expecting to see the last TT of the 2007 Vuelta.

That one was flat, true. It was also very wet and some riders did crash if I remember correctly. So a bit of an advantage to Sanchez.

Anyway, the Vuelta TT would probably be ok for him with that 3rd cat in the middle. Don't know how technical the downhill is.

Just over a month away, been thinking about this for a few days since the Tour is over.

Who exactly is down for this? There are so many GC guys at the Tour its tough to think of anyone who will actually be well rested enough to really compete..

Nibali
Henao
Uran
Betancur
Sanchez
Scarponi?

Looking like Nibali will walk it tbh

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I expect Henao and Betancur to do well especially, in addition to Nibali of course. I hope that Purito, Valverde, and Contador go. Even if they're tired from the Tour they can still challenge for stages. Contador especially really needs to go, just to get a win. And hopefully Andy rides as well, but we'll have to wait on that one.

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Just over a month away, been thinking about this for a few days since the Tour is over.

Who exactly is down for this? There are so many GC guys at the Tour its tough to think of anyone who will actually be well rested enough to really compete..

Nibali
Henao
Uran
Betancur
Sanchez
Scarponi?

Looking like Nibali will walk it tbh
Will JVDB be fit? Not that he'll win it.

Majka may get another shot.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Valverde and Purito will ride Vuelta 100%.Also probably Pozzovivo will start.Konig can be a factor in this race.Maybe top 10?From RadiShack Horner is sure.