• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2014 super hype!!

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins the Vuelta?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Isnt it a build up for Worlds for Uran? Dont expect him to top 5 here
Me neither,I dont think he is a 2Gt's a year guy.
He should better focus to be in great shape for WC to fight for leadership with bananito:cool:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, if Quintana, Froome and Purito are in top shape, i think this will the podium in that order.

But Horner, Valverde, Uran and Contador (i don't think he's good enough) can challenge too.

I'm just really hope for a good Froome, because i want to see some proper fight with Nairo.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Well, if Quintana, Froome and Purito are in top shape, i think this will the podium in that order.

But Horner, Valverde, Uran and Contador (i don't think he's good enough) can challenge too.

I'm just really hope for a good Froome, because i want to see some proper fight with Nairo.
yeah,thats my only wish too.:) AC is a bonus:cool:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Come on, Quintana can't drop good Froome on Vuelta mountains, and he is not even close in TT. If you want a proper fight you must hope for 60% Froome.

9686025496_3494862639_z.jpg

damian13ster said:
Are you suggesting now that Nairo became a rider with monster acceleration that does the best on a single-mountain stages with short climbs? Or are you saying he is better than Froome in TT? I am confused

I agree with you. Quintana shines on high altitutes and long climbs. I don't think he has the punch as well.
He can proof me wrong though. His TT is very good though, not on Froomedog level, but certainly good.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Are you suggesting now that Nairo became a rider with monster acceleration that does the best on a single-mountain stages with short climbs? Or are you saying he is better than Froome in TT? I am confused
Think about my opinion,and dont pretend to be stupid;)
Or read my signature ...

I think its stupid to believe that if Froome is in decent form then Quintana has any chance in Vuelta. In Giro, maybe. In mountain-heavy TdF...maybe.

In Vuelta? No chance. Even if it doesnt have 50km TT in it
When they went head to head in GC....Quintana won once. 5th vs 6th from Froome in Volta a Catalunya.....

cineteq said:
This sounds like an except taken from a cycling magazine. Quintana, Rodriguez and Horner are the only ones 'sort of' ready for this. Froome and Contador are injured, and Uran and Betancur are very inconsitent. Btw, you failed to mention Talansky and JVB.

Thank you, I think. I don't think Uran is inconsistent. He should be in the podium. I didn't forget to mention Talansky and JVB. I just think they aren't worth mentioning. To be honest, I started on the wrong foot with Talansky when Vaughters was comparing him to Nairo over twitter. Vaughters stated that although Nairo was riding his bike to school when he was little, Talansky was being driven by his mother in a station wagon. I said to myself then that Talansky wasn't going to win 1 GT in his career. I have grown to respect him more, specially after his struggle at the TDF, but no way he is a contender this year. I know he finished 2nd to Nairo years and years ago and they have the closest thing to a long term duel building...it just won't be during the vuelta. Maybe he will come in 3rd in a stage

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
damian13ster said:
I think its stupid to believe that if Froome is in decent form then Quintana has any chance in Vuelta. In Giro, maybe. In mountain-heavy TdF...maybe.

When they went head to head in GC....Quintana won once. 5th vs 6th from Froome in Volta a Catalunya.....
ok this is beyond my mind...avatar bet till end of next Tour?
who will be higher at final GC

damian13ster said:

I think realistically that if everyone was on their best form, Contador=Froome>Nairo=Nibali>Uran,Purito,Valverde>Rest.

Top 4 riders are Conti, Froome, Nairo, Nibs:

I think that Contador, Froome, Nairo and Nibali are close enough to each other that the teams and circumstances will make a difference. One stage where there is a split, one stage where teammates have stomach flu, one stage where one forgets to eat is enough to lose to the other.

Long 10% mountains=Nairo has slight edge, others are about the same
Rolling mountains=All are about the same
flat TT = Froome has edge, Nibali & Contador are close to each other, Nairo is behind
mountain TT = Nairo has edge, Froome, Nibali, Contador
Rollers = Nibali has edge
Downhill = Nibali has edge, Nairo 2nd, Contador then Froome.
Strategy = Contador has edge, Nibali and Nairo close, Froome, not so much
sharp, short climbs= Nairo has edge
Long, not so steep mountains=Froome has big edge here. All others must get on his wheel.
Cobbles = Give Nibali 2'

Again, when in form, these are my thoughts. We are talking about 20" difference between the 1st and 4th in this theoretical all-against-all head to head.

Now, regarding the Vuelta:
A TTT will make a huge difference. That's where other people come into play. OPQS has Tony Martin in there? Uran gets 40".
Is there a split due to winds?. One can lose 2', one can gain 20".
You have a superdomestique guiding you and he is on point? Give leader 20". superdomestique drops out? Add 15" to the rest of the guys.
Who has the best team? I Think OPQS, then Lampre. Movistar with Alejandro is hard to see.

So, in summary, IMO, If Froome and Contador are in form, there is a great race for the podium. If they aren't, like I suspect, Uran jumps to 2nd.
Aru, Chaves, Garmin guys, local spanish teams will all be sneaking in here and there. Horner can sneak into top 5. It will be a great Vuelta because they aren't 100%.
If they are 90% (Froome and Conti), it will be great. I think they are around 85%, which means they will fight for 3rd.