Vuelta 2015 rumours

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
jens_attacks said:
250 kms with 6000m of climbing would have been better.
Very disappointed...
Call ASO and ask them to have this stage in the TdF with Pailheres and Envalira N as starters :D
 
Netserk said:
How is it (much) better than the Giro stage last year?
That was only 3 climbs, with 25km of flat between the last two climbs. This stage has more climbing and less flat, and less chance of cancellation. And more chance of the Great One being there

icefire said:
Call ASO and ask them to have this stage in the TdF with Pailheres and Envalira N as starters :D
#Icefire4Racedirector

jens_attacks said:
250 kms with 6000m of climbing would have been better.
Very disappointed...
It's still the Vuelta, if they do that the riders start to see pink and talk Italian automatically. Would be weird stuff

icefire said:
This link states that your wish will be granted ;)
http://www.diariandorra.ad/index.php...mp;Itemid=380#
Awesome
 
Netserk said:
How is it (much) better than the Giro stage last year?
It's not even close. I guess it's different, the racing could be better but we all know how many factors that depends on. For a Vuelta it's good though. Dunno where else you get two connected 1 hr climbs >2500m.
 
Ferminal said:
It's not even close. I guess it's different, the racing could be better but we all know how many factors that depends on. For a Vuelta it's good though. Dunno where else you get two connected 1 hr climbs >2500m.
Galibier south side+ Rosael, but nobody wants it to happen:(
 
Red Rick said:
That was only 3 climbs, with 25km of flat between the last two climbs. This stage has more climbing and less flat, and less chance of cancellation. And more chance of the Great One being there
It has the same amount of climbing as the Vuelta stage. I really don't see it as a negative that it's over three climbs instead of six. Then it got the altitude and a much, much, much bigger chance of something happening before the last climb between the contenders. That won't happen in the Andorra stage.
 
Netserk said:
It has the same amount of climbing as the Vuelta stage. I really don't see it as a negative that it's over three climbs instead of six. Then it got the altitude and a much, much, much bigger chance of something happening before the last climb between the contenders. That won't happen in the Andorra stage.
Disagee, in good weather nothing would've happened in the Giro stage, whereas here we could see pretty good action on the Collada de Gallina already
 
Red Rick said:
Disagee, in good weather nothing would've happened in the Giro stage, whereas here we could see pretty good action on the Collada de Gallina already
In good weather there would still be a good chance of something happening on the Stelvio ascent. No we won't see any action at all (from the contenders) on Gallina, I can guarantee you that. It simply isn't hard enough with the cat 3 between that and the MTF.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
You have to give Purito the credits he deserves. He did not chose for a tailor made stage for him, but 'designed' a stage he wants to see by himself on the TV as a cycling fan.

Although i have a 'Croix-de-Fer, Mollard, La Toussuire' scenario in my mind. The fact La Comella is between Gallina and Encamp, is a downgrade and likely not hard enough. Too bad we won't see someone like Contador in the race:(
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Arredondo said:
You have to give Purito the credits he deserves. He did not chose for a tailor made stage for him, but 'designed' a stage he wants to see by himself on the TV as a cycling fan.

Although i have a 'Croix-de-Fer, Mollard, La Toussuire' scenario in my mind. The fact La Comella is between Gallina and Encamp, is a downgrade and likely not hard enough. Too bad we won't see someone like Contador in the race:(
La Comella not hard enough? Definitely better than a flat section, specially taking into account that the descents of Gallina and Comella are quite technical.

 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
icefire said:
La Comella not hard enough? Definitely better than a flat section, specially taking into account that the descents of Gallina and Comella are quite technical.

Could be, but i don't know how many big guys in the current peloton (and in that Vuelta in particular) dare to attack on Gallina. Quintana would do, for example. But others? I think more riders would dare, if there was no section between the top of Gallina and the bottom of Cortals at all (which is not possible ofcourse).

But the fact that the two descents are quite technical, could deliver some action indeed.
 
It would've been better to do Gallina from the other side and then afterwards finish 2/3rd of the way up like they did in '12 and '13. Only 2-3km of flat between the decent and ascent.

 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Netserk said:
It would've been better to do Gallina from the other side and then afterwards finish 2/3rd of the way up like they did in '12 and '13. Only 2-3km of flat between the decent and ascent.
I'm torn between both sides of La Gallina :D

 
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
Netserk said:
It would've been better to do Gallina from the other side and then afterwards finish 2/3rd of the way up like they did in '12 and '13. Only 2-3km of flat between the decent and ascent.

I like the climb from that side. The difficult part is in the middle. That's ideal. Full gas at that point. 5 very hard km.
And it's still less than 5 km flat after the descent + Comilla is short but 7-9% and the last climb starts almost immediately after the descent.
 
Els Cortals is perhaps one of the best MTFs possible in Andorra, but at the same time I would have been sorely tempted by Llac d'Engolasters backing straight from La Comella and bringing La Gallina closer to the finish:



Maybe do it by doing the other side of La Gallina at the start of the stage to lengthen it. Though within a 140km stage in Andorra they do hit on every major two-sided pass in the country except Envalira.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Netserk said:
Yes, but if you do it from that side, you can't have the finish of '12 and '13.
Unipublic had as a target having all uphill finishes in new climbs, so that was never going to happen this year. The best available options were Cortals d'Encamp and Llac d'Engolasters. IMHO, there isn't much to argue between those options when they are preceded by 4 serious climbs of growing difficulty.

On another news, Guillén has received an award from the Spanish Government.

The Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sporting Merit will be bestowed upon Javier Guillén, The General Director of the Vuelta, for the “novelty, spectacular nature and the emotion, with departures and arrivals located in unique locations, original routes that highlight cities and parts of our Spanish geography since he took charge of the Vuelta in 2009, as well as for initiatives such as the Vuelta Junior, that promote sport among young people”.

Guillén, who has received this news just three days before the official presentation of the 2015 Vuelta, thanks the High Sports Council for this recognition: “it is a tremendous joy for me and it makes me particularly happy that the medal comes from the High Sports Council, the house of all Spanish sport. I am eternally grateful to its president, Miguel Cardenal, and its director, Ana Muñoz, who will be with us on the 10th for the presentation. I accept this medal with great pride and as additional motivation to continue working for cycling, the Vuelta and Spanish sports”
La Camperona comes to my mind :rolleyes:

http://www.lavuelta.com/14/en/noticias/noticia.html?id=411&e=21
 
icefire said:
Unipublic had as a target having all uphill finishes in new climbs, so that was never going to happen this year. The best available options were Cortals d'Encamp and Llac d'Engolasters. IMHO, there isn't much to argue between those options when they are preceded by 4 serious climbs of growing difficulty.
I think there is. With Llac d'Engolasters there would be a far bigger chance of action happening on Gallina than with Cortals d'Encamp. Best would be a descent finish in either Sant Julià de Lòria coming directly after the Gallina descent, or Andorra la Vella after La Comella.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY