• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2015 rumours

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
icefire said:
From today's print edition of Marca:

* Stage 4 to Vejer de la Frontera will finish in a ramp 1.5kms long. I guess this wil be similar to stage 3 this year that Michael Mathews won.
* Stage 11 in Andorra will have more than 4700m of climbing
* Stage 16 to Ermita de Alba will challenge for Queen stage. If this is true, the race will have 2 stages with more than 4500m of climbing. This is unprecedented in Guillén's era.
* Stage 20 will be on the roads of the Sierra de Guadarrama,
but won't finish on a climb.

So far we know seven uphill finishes:
* Stage 2: Caminito del Rey
* Stage 4: Vejer de la Frontera
* Stage 9: Cumbres del Sol
* Stage 11: Andorra MTF, not yet revealed
* Stage 14: Fuente del Chivo
* Stage 15: Sotres (Jitu de Escarandi)
* Stage 16: Ermita de Alba

We're still missing two.

shocked-cat-o.gif

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
After recollecting all rumours, this is what the course will look like:

Stage 1: Puerto Banús (ITT/TTT)
Stage 2: Alhaurín de la Torre - Caminito del Rey (Cat2 MTF)
Stage 3: Mijas - Málaga (flat)
Stage 4: Estepona - Vejer de la frontera (HTF)
Stage 5: Sevilla??? - Córdoba???
Stage 6: Cordoba??? - Jaén??? (hilly?)
Stage 7: Jaen??? - Granada??? (hilly?, mountain?)
Stage 8: ??? - Murcia (after cat2 Cresta del Gallo)
Stage 9: ??? - Cumbre del Sol (Cat2 MTF)
Stage 10: Valencia - Castellón (after cat2 Desierto de las Palmas)
1st rest day
Stage 11: Andorra mountain stage (~4500m of climbing, MTF)
Stage 12: Andorra - somewhere in Lleida or Zaragoza???.
Stage 13: ??? - Tarazona (rolling terrain stage around Sierra del Moncayo)
Stage 14: Vitoria - Fuente del Chivo (MTF, single climb)
Stage 15: Comillas - Jitu de Escarandi (MTF, probably preceded by a few cat3 or cat2 climbs far from the finish)
Stage 16: Luarca - Ermita de Alba (~4500m of climbing , MTF)
2nd rest day
Stage 17: Burgos ITT (~40kms, flat, through the climb to the castle)
Stage 18: Roa de Duero - Valladolid (flat, windy???)
Stage 19: Medina del Campo - Ávila (hilly???)
Stage 20: Sierra de Guadarrama (mountain, downhill finish)
Stage 21: Madrid parade (flat)

There are still three unknown stages in the first week, but we know they will visit the provinces of Sevilla, Córdoba, Jaén and Granada.

There are seven confirmed uphill finishes out of nine announced. I guess that at least one of the remaining ones will be somewhere in Jaén or Granada. If there isn't any uphill finish after the ITT, the other one might be in stage 12.

Trobaniello has been known to be a hoax: the Asturian stage finishes had been decided weeks before they were announced. The mention of unpaved roads dissapeared from all sources after that announcement.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
icefire said:
After recollecting all rumours, this is what the course will look like:

Stage 1: Puerto Banús (ITT/TTT)
Stage 2: Alhaurín de la Torre - Caminito del Rey (Cat2 MTF)
Stage 3: Mijas - Málaga (flat)
Stage 4: Estepona - Vejer de la frontera (HTF)
Stage 5: Sevilla??? - Córdoba???
Stage 6: Cordoba??? - Jaén??? (hilly?)
Stage 7: Jaen??? - Granada??? (hilly?, mountain?)
Stage 8: ??? - Murcia (after cat2 Cresta del Gallo)
Stage 9: ??? - Cumbre del Sol (Cat2 MTF)
Stage 10: Valencia - Castellón (after cat2 Desierto de las Palmas)
1st rest day
Stage 11: Andorra mountain stage (~4500m of climbing, MTF)
Stage 12: Andorra - somewhere in Lleida or Zaragoza???.
Stage 13: ??? - Tarazona (rolling terrain stage around Sierra del Moncayo)
Stage 14: Vitoria - Fuente del Chivo (MTF, single climb)
Stage 15: Comillas - Jitu de Escarandi (MTF, probably preceded by a few cat3 or cat2 climbs far from the finish)
Stage 16: Luarca - Ermita de Alba (~4500m of climbing , MTF)
2nd rest day
Stage 17: Burgos ITT (~40kms, flat, through the climb to the castle)
Stage 18: Roa de Duero - Valladolid (flat, windy???)
Stage 19: Medina del Campo - Ávila (hilly???)
Stage 20: Sierra de Guadarrama (mountain, downhill finish)
Stage 21: Madrid parade (flat)

There are still three unknown stages in the first week, but we know they will visit the provinces of Sevilla, Córdoba, Jaén and Granada.

There are seven confirmed uphill finishes out of nine announced. I guess that at least one of the remaining ones will be somewhere in Jaén or Granada. If there isn't any uphill finish after the ITT, the other one might be in stage 12.

Trobaniello has been known to be a hoax: the Asturian stage finishes had been decided weeks before they were announced. The mention of unpaved roads dissapeared from all sources after that announcement.

Wow, could be a great route for Vuelta standarts, stage 20 could be great, the ITT on stage 17 should create gaps that will force the climbers to attack.

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Would not have expected the Vuelta route to be better than the Tour route after 2014. Downhill finish on the last stage a big and very pleasant surprise.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, suggests either Navacerrada north (so after a long period of flat) or Cotos (which is rather easy) as final climb. Unless they're going to do the Fuente de la Reina climb, which I doubt as I don't see them descending the side I put in one of my fantasy Vueltas.

Unless they're doing a small climb after Navacerrada approach, which would allow for part of this:

fuenfria01.gif

(probably the bit from the road to Navacerrada and Cerceda at 11km to the road back to Cercedilla at 16-17km).

I suppose feasibly they could do Morcuera, Cotos (or just Navacerrada south), descend Navacerrada north, Fuente de la Reina, descend into La Granja using the narrow road rather than into Valsaín (otherwise the loop would be too short) then Navacerrada north and descend into Cercedilla. Otherwise I can't see how they'd make a legitimately difficult stage out of this.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
According to AS, that last mountain stage will be within the boundaries of Madrid. I dont know what to think, as general sports media use to be clueless about cycling. You can't ride through Navacerrada or Cotos without crossing the boundaries of Madrid.

The funny thing in the AS article: a risk report recommended not including sterrato in the race. I wonder who at Puripublic wrote that report :rolleyes:

http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/201...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I had overlooked it, but the AS article also mentions an uphill finish somewhere in Granada in stage 7.

What I can't figure out is the three mountain stages without uphill finish after the ITT in Burgos. Stage 19 with finish in Avila coming from the north can't have more than a few cat3 and a cat2 climb. And I can't see stage 18 departing from Roa de Duero and finishing either in Valladolid or Segovia as a 'mountain' stage. That region is flat as a pan.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Roa de Duero is probably close enough to Segovia to do a loop with Navacerrada in it.

But I really doubt that something like that is going to actually happen.

A loop with Navacerrada north and Navacerrada south as the stage to Bola del Mundo in 2010 would be over 210kms. A shorther option would be a loop with only Fuente de la Reina.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
I was actually thinking just Leon and Navacerrada S. Would probably be just about under 210 k.

Edit: with a flat stage before Navacerrada N, it's probably possible to do a slightly shorter loop than in 2010?

It's possible, but it'd probably be too short to fit all the caravan in it. The shortest feasible loop would be around Los Molinos, Collado Mediano and back to the village of Navacerrada. The stage would be just under 205k.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Navafría-Cotos-Fuente de la Reina?

That's perfectly feasible, but Navafría and Cotos are 5-6% climbs with 600m drop. That'd be a joke of a 'mountain' stage even if Fuente de la Reina has the gradient to break the peloton.