• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2015 rumours

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
So we're in for another first week in Southern Spain. Looks like riding under 40ºC is getting part of the Vuelta so called "personality"

Don't expect big climbs in the first week. I'd be happy if they give us a few decent mid-mountain stages.

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
Valdepeñas de Jaen finish should be highly likely.

Wouldn't be surprised... it's the same old 'Look it's a wall that sort of worked a couple of times in the very recent past, let's include it again'. Guessing we'll have Pena Cabarga, Angliru, Covadonga etc again next year :rolleyes:

Stromeon said:
Wouldn't be surprised... it's the same old 'Look it's a wall that sort of worked a couple of times in the very recent past, let's include it again'. Guessing we'll have Pena Cabarga, Angliru, Covadonga etc again next year :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPADmm7ZzKQ

It was super amazing in 2010. 3 contenders in full sprint (VAM over 9000) on a 24% slope. Ofcourse it was way to early and someone else won, but that doesn't matter

jens_attacks said:
so we gonna have mythical monte farinha MTF in stage 3 vuelta espana 2016 then. pretty cool :D

Don't think so, unfortunately. It will be an team time trial in Porto and a stage from the outskirts of Porto, going through the Douro Vinhateiro region, which would be quite scenic and should provide a hilly ride, to Zamora. Two stages only, it seems.

Edit: Now that I see, it can't be only two stages. The shortest route from Porto to Zamora is nearly 350km's.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
BigMac said:
Don't think so, unfortunately. It will be an team time trial in Porto and a stage from the outskirts of Porto, going through the Douro Vinhateiro region, which would be quite scenic and should provide a hilly ride, to Zamora. Two stages only, it seems.

Edit: Now that I see, it can't be only two stages. The shortest route from Porto to Zamora is nearly 350km's.

Unipublic doesn't have any problem placing a stage departure 150 kms away from the previous stage finish.

Going back to 2015, I've been searching on some Spanish forums and nobody seems to have any clue on the likely course. There will be mountain stages in Asturias and the Pyrenees but nobody knows for sure if they'll go to the North through the East (Murcia, Valencia, Catalunya) or through the West (Extremadura, Castilla y Leon).

However, most posters recall the non-written practise of revisiting a big iconic climb every 3 years -> Bola del Mundo on last Saturday.

icefire said:
Unipublic doesn't have any problem placing a stage departure 150 kms away from the previous stage finish.

Going back to 2015, I've been searching on some Spanish forums and nobody seems to have any clue on the likely course. There will be mountain stages in Asturias and the Pyrenees but nobody knows for sure if they'll go to the North through the East (Murcia, Valencia, Catalunya) or through the West (Extremadura, Castilla y Leon).

However, most posters recall the non-written practise of revisiting a big iconic climb every 3 years -> Bola del Mundo on last Saturday.

Tourmalet & Peyresourde?

jens_attacks asks for Cerler... I say wait for them to finish paving Sahún, then we will have epic stage after epic stage to Aramón-Cerler.

Probably no Lagos de Covadonga as it's this year and they seem to be going for "every other year" there, but certainly a good chance for Angliru, I'm afraid. Although if they've discovered Cobertoria East this year, maybe we can be lucky enough to get Cuchu Puercu as the lead-in. I'd be surprised if there's no Galicia.

I want

- Mountain stages in Andalucia
- Mountain stage in Pais Vasco
- Mountain stages in the Pyrenees
- No Covadonga, Angliru or Cuitu Negru in Asturias, preferably a new MTF
- Mountain stage in near Madrid, (no Bola del Mundo)
- 2 decent lenght tt's
- Descent finish (more than one being too greedy)
- max 8 uphill finishes

They'll probably do a maximum of 3 of those:eek:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
Tourmalet & Peyresourde?

More likely something in Andorra.

Libertine Seguros said:
jens_attacks asks for Cerler... I say wait for them to finish paving Sahún, then we will have epic stage after epic stage to Aramón-Cerler.

Probably no Lagos de Covadonga as it's this year and they seem to be going for "every other year" there, but certainly a good chance for Angliru, I'm afraid. Although if they've discovered Cobertoria East this year, maybe we can be lucky enough to get Cuchu Puercu as the lead-in. I'd be surprised if there's no Galicia.

Guillén has visited Trobaniellu. He was elusive about it but it seems that he didn't like the lack of space at the summit.

Regarding Galicia, they've been there for 3 years in a row, so maybe they give it a rest. It's about the same time we've been without Tudons-Torremanzanas-Carrasqueta-Xorret de Catí :D

TRENDING THREADS