• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2015 rumours

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
No matter how conservative they ride, gaps will open early on the last climb. Action for the last 10-12 km guarenteed. If someone wants to attack earlier, there is the opportunity.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Another stage:
934d4529a4a558f6bbad0843a9102e9bo.jpg

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Asturiano said:
Maybe the grade of difficulty is more like that:
B63IkeZCIAAipZ4-e1420756669849.png

Not bad. Just the false flat leading into the last climb is a bit disturbing. But you can't have everything.
I think with the initial TT (which probably will now be individual) plus the other flat TT and with decent mountain stages it will finally be a decent Vuelta, not like 2012-2014.
I think the votes will be something like 6/10 to 7/10.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
AS is giving the complete list of stage departures and finish towns.

1420758235_543489_1420758943_noticia_normal.jpg

I'm intrigued about the finish of stage 18 in Riaza, because it might be somehing like this

be96462cd4cc3313a46a75b630032ffao.jpg

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Seems like it will be the best route in years.

Probably the best in the Guillén era, but I'm afraid we'll miss some decent mid-mountain stages. Looking at the shortest distance between departure and finish town some of the uphill finishes will surely be preceded by flat terrain. Cazorla, Capileira, Cumbre del Sol, Fuente del Chivo could have been preceded by more challenging roads.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Note the gradients. Not much to look forward to, if that's the case.

I know, but the according to last rumours this was a flat stage for the sprinters. Now we may have 4 stages with a downhill finish: Murcia (Cresta del Gallo), Castellón (Desierto de las Palmas), Riaza (La Quesera), Cercedilla (Cotos), and still pending of what we get in Ávila. Cross your fingers so nobody crashes and we get more of this from Guillén in the future.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a great thing the Vuelta is actually the Vuelta again. Nice balance between nothern and southern stages.

And the fact that stage 19 and 20 (and perhaps 18) are medium, dangerous hilly/mountain stages, instead of MTF's, could make things even more interesting, or less predictable.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
icefire said:
I know, but the according to last rumours this was a flat stage for the sprinters. Now we may have 4 stages with a downhill finish: Murcia (Cresta del Gallo), Castellón (Desierto de las Palmas), Riaza (La Quesera), Cercedilla (Cotos), and still pending of what we get in Ávila. Cross your fingers so nobody crashes and we get more of this from Guillén in the future.

Yep, I really like those stages. Sure that last stage might not be selective enough for the big bosses to make differences, but the alternative is another type of Bola del Mundo uphill snoozefest like there has been 8/10 per vuelta.

I must say I reallylike this design. There are too many uphill finishes for my liking in absolute, but I admit that this is part of the Vuelta's DNA. But they have added variety with medium mountain stages and downhill finishes. It amazes me to say so, but I prefer this route to the very poor Tour de France we will have next year.

TRENDING THREADS