Vuelta 2017, Stage 1: Nîmes - Nîmes 13,7 km (TTT)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jungle Cycle said:
When was the last gt Contador enjoyed any lead in the first week??
not that i was counting on this one....
Giro 2015

This was a bad performance by the team but at least he didn't go down
Yes!! lets see the glaas half full.. he looked good
Yeah, it's only smallish gaps as well, but looking at the respective squads, it's poor for Trek to be losing time to Nibali's team. It's a psychological blow as much as anything.
 
1 BMC Racing Team 0:15:58
2 Quick-Step Floors 0:00:06
3 Team Sunweb
4 Team Sky 0:00:09
5 Orica-Scott 0:00:17
6 Bora-Hansgrohe 0:00:21
7 Lotto-Soudal 0:00:24
8 Movistar
9 Bahrain-Merida 0:00:31
10 Katusha-Alpecin 0:00:33
11 Trek-Segafredo 0:00:35
12 FDJ 0:00:38
13 Aqua Blue Sport
14 Dimension Data 0:00:39
15 LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:40
16 Astana 0:00:41
17 Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:46
18 AG2R La Mondiale
19 UAE Team Emirates
20 Manzana Postobon 0:00:53
21 Caja Rural-Seguros RGA 0:00:56
22 Cofidis 0:00:57
 
Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
memyselfandI said:
It is indeed good for Bahrain, it's between Nibs and Froome for shure, no other climbers doing steady long tt at this race.
After 13k (non-individual), it's over guys.

Thanks for watching La Vuelta.
The beauty of the Vuelta though is that, unlike the Tour, there are about 15 mountain/hilly stages and loads of possible ambush opportunities. Not 11 flat stages and 3 mountain stages with lame climbs nearly all under 10%.

And it finishes on Angliru, where anyone could lose five minutes on a bad day. The GC battle will be on all race for sure.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Alexandre B. said:
memyselfandI said:
It is indeed good for Bahrain, it's between Nibs and Froome for shure, no other climbers doing steady long tt at this race.
After 13k (non-individual), it's over guys.

Thanks for watching La Vuelta.
The beauty of the Vuelta though is that, unlike the Tour, there are about 15 mountain/hilly stages and loads of possible ambush opportunities. Not 11 flat stages and 3 mountain stages with lame climbs nearly all under 10%.

And it finishes on Angliru, where anyone could lose five minutes on a bad day. The GC battle will be on all race for sure.
True.

TTT is nothing new, like ITT is nothing new...the trend is to have less of them, but let's not kid ourselves: we can't just get GTs with no TTT and 10km of ITT just for the sake of small time gaps. It keeps riders who don't belong around and soon enough we forget that GT winners have to be a complete riders. Or riders who can mitigate a weakness by dominating another facet of cycling.

20 stages to go. It's far from over.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
DFA123 said:
Alexandre B. said:
memyselfandI said:
It is indeed good for Bahrain, it's between Nibs and Froome for shure, no other climbers doing steady long tt at this race.
After 13k (non-individual), it's over guys.

Thanks for watching La Vuelta.
The beauty of the Vuelta though is that, unlike the Tour, there are about 15 mountain/hilly stages and loads of possible ambush opportunities. Not 11 flat stages and 3 mountain stages with lame climbs nearly all under 10%.

And it finishes on Angliru, where anyone could lose five minutes on a bad day. The GC battle will be on all race for sure.
True.

TTT is nothing new, like ITT is nothing new...the trend is to have less of them, but let's not kid ourselves: we can't just get GTs with no TTT and 10km of ITT just for the sake of small time gaps. It keeps riders who don't belong around and soon enough we forget that GT winners have to be a complete riders. Or riders who can mitigate a weakness by dominating another facet of cycling.

20 stages to go. It's far from over.
I think it's easier to vary a lot with the vertical gains in the TTs.
 
Jul 12, 2015
56
6
2,595
Re: Re:

ice&fire said:
JosephK said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
jsem94 said:
Advantage Froome already.
Nah, Dennis, TJ, De La Cruz and Kelderman/Barguil/Oomen are ahead :p
In my fantasy world, I am hoping Dennis can pull a "Dumoulin," Giro-style.
Can Dumoulin pull a Dumoulin in a race with climbs like Angliru?
Two years ago he only cracked in the last stage, mostly because he had no team. As usual there were a lot of steep climbs in that Vuelta. With a decent team he would have won that Vuelta. So yes to your question.
 
Re: Re:

Sestriere said:
ice&fire said:
Can Dumoulin pull a Dumoulin in a race with climbs like Angliru?
He was great on Blockhaus, so why not?
The hard section of Blockhaus climbs 900m in 9.5 km (9.5%). The hard section of Angliru climbs 870m in 6.7 km (13%). You may compare them if you want, but Blockhaus loses. And it does clearly.
Now compare Angliru to the last MTF in this year's Giro (Piancavallo)
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Let's be honest, the Vuelta is likely over already. Almost every modern GT is decided purely on time gained during time trials (and defending in the mountains).

It's come to a point where I hope time trials are completely banned from GTs.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY