• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 4: Escaldes-Engordany/Tarragona 198.2km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
lol that top 15. What a sprint field

Kelderman falling again, no surprise there. I wonder what took him so long

Such a poor bike handling. Not worse than Bouhanni but still. Shame because he is a rather good rider.

Trentin textbook win as expected. Wondering if Cort Nielsen is on a Sunday ride since the beginning?
Plus, not sure if Ag2r leadout was awfully timed or if Pozzo was badly positionned but the result is pathetic for them.

Re: Re:

Orbit501 said:
Vroome.exe said:
Kirby tipping Si Clarke.

Whatever anyone's thoughts on Kirby, and he is a bit marmite, this constant Si Clarke obsession is just bloody unprofessional. It's almost as if he has a running bet on to mention him as a contender for literally every stage of any race he's in.

It really is pathetic!

Kirby listed about 30 possible winners of the stage - And Clarke was never mentioned as Kirby's selection for the day.

Krokro said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Such a poor bike handling. Not worse than Bouhanni but still. Shame because he is a rather good rider.

Trentin textbook win as expected. Wondering if Cort Nielsen is on a Sunday ride since the beginning?
Plus, not sure if Ag2r leadout was awfully timed or if Pozzo was badly positionned but the result is pathetic for them.

You need to understand that Neil Stephens is an old school DS - Everything is for the GC riders - You'll find from around stage 10 when the GC pecking order is established, then Cort will be given the opportunity to sprint - It was the same in the 2016 Vuelta.

yaco said:
Krokro said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

You need to understand that Neil Stephens is an old school DS - Everything is for the GC riders - You'll find from around stage 10 when the GC pecking order is established, then Cort will be given the opportunity to sprint - It was the same in the 2016 Vuelta.

Okay, did not know it was probably on purpose. I sincerely hope so as the kid has so much potential. Plus on a rather weak field, we could see him flying when he enters the arena.

Interesting to see Tom Scully mixing up af the front with just few hundred meters to go but he got a mechanical. Not meaning much to a casual fan but he is doing better than I expected before the season. And Cannondale is leading Van Asbroeck out decently considering the team they've brought here.

Krokro said:
yaco said:
Krokro said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Okay, did not know it was probably on purpose. I sincerely hope so as the kid has so much potential. Plus on a rather weak field, we could see him flying when he enters the arena.

I personally think if you bring Cort let him go for the sprints if the GC riders are safe with 3km to go.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Stupid finish, too dangerous. Whose idea was it to put a 1km banner in such a way that it narrowed the road even further?

Nice leadout and good win by Trentin, obviously the best sprinter until Degenkolb gets well, unless he retires. Kirby was seriously annoying, more so than normal - managed to convince himself that jelle wallays was a GC contender.

If by GC contender, he means finishing in the top 100, Wallays could have a chance :rolleyes:

I'm happy not to have to listen to Kirby. Tomasz Jaroński and Dariusz Baranowski (for the younger listeners - former US Postal/Banesto/Liberty Seguros pro ) are the commentators on Polish Eurosport. Jaroński is a sort of anti-Kirby with
his deep, lugubrious, world-weary voice and dry sense of humour. Of course, they focus on the Polish pros (for example, when Wallays crashed, he said "don't worry, it's not Marczyński"), but when Marczyński was very near the front with only a few hundred metres left of a chaotic technical sprint, he very matter of factly said that he wouldn't be there for long.

yaco said:
Krokro said:
yaco said:
Krokro said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I personally think if you bring Cort let him go for the sprints if the GC riders are safe with 3km to go.

It is a really stupid priority by Orica to not let Cort sprint, but he has indeed clear orders only to help Adam Yates, and has been seen in front around the 10 km mark both sprintstages. So its not even the guy that has a podiumchance, Chaves, they are wasting him on.. Last year the first time Cort won he also did so despite not being allowed too, but with 3 captains this year and a very stubborn Niel Stephens it will likely be impossible for him to sprint until the last stage unless the captains should all loose their GC-chances before. In danish TV interviews Cort has even told the reporters asking him on his chances to put pressure on Stephens to let him sprint, so he wants to but is just not allowed, and Stephens was very clear that he would not be allowed when they then asked him...

MADRAZO said:
It is a really stupid priority by Orica to not let Cort sprint, but he has indeed clear orders only to help Adam Yates, and has been seen in front around the 10 km mark both sprintstages. So its not even the guy that has a podiumchance, Chaves, they are wasting him on.. Last year the first time Cort won he also did so despite not being allowed too, but with 3 captains this year and a very stubborn Niel Stephens it will likely be impossible for him to sprint until the last stage unless the captains should all loose their GC-chances before. In danish TV interviews Cort has even told the reporters asking him on his chances to put pressure on Stephens to let him sprint, so he wants to but is just not allowed, and Stephens was very clear that he would not be allowed when they then asked him...
Bleh, Orica.
Too bad for them there isn't a white jersey here that they could defend all the Vuelta.

axl

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
I got a question about tomorrow stage. The last climb (Ermita Sta. Lucía. Alcossebre) is noted "3.4 kilometre-long climb at 4.2%". But it's 310m high on 3,4km, so if i'm not mistaken it's almost 10% ! Is the official vuelta site wrong ?

Breh said:
TMP402 said:
Trentin becomes the 101st rider to win a stage in all three GTs.
Is there anyone else still in contention bar De Gendt?

Quick Step with some solid results at the start of a GT. Again.
Stage1: 2nd
Stage2: 1st and 2nd, green and red
Stage3: 2nd
Stage4: 1st, green

Stupid Dutch journalists from NOS mentioning Trentin as the 100th rider to win a stage in all GT's...completely missing Nibali's win from yesterday.

Vesica said:
Breh said:
TMP402 said:

Stupid Dutch journalists from NOS mentioning Trentin as the 100th rider to win a stage in all GT's...completely missing Nibali's win from yesterday.

Well atleast Jose Been didn't *** up, oh wait...

Vesica said:
Breh said:
TMP402 said:

So is there actually a list somewhere of these 99 riders before the Vuelta or where is this number coming from? The lists I can find are at most 90 riders long (Wikipedia).

Re:

axl said:
I got a question about tomorrow stage. The last climb (Ermita Sta. Lucía. Alcossebre) is noted "3.4 kilometre-long climb at 4.2%". But it's 310m high on 3,4km, so if i'm not mistaken it's almost 10% ! Is the official vuelta site wrong ?

http://www.cyclingstage.com/vuelta-2017-route/stage-5-spain-route-2017/
At 3.4 kilometres, the hill is averaging 9.7%. At almost 15%, the first part is steepest, while the final 1,600 metres go up at 5%.
Last 5 km
stage-5-1km.png

Edit - just found this which is either wrong, old or correct! Whole climb to the top.

SANTA%2BLUC%25C3%258DA%2BALCOSSEBRE.png

Jagartrott said:
MADRAZO said:
Bleh, Orica.
Too bad for them there isn't a white jersey here that they could defend all the Vuelta.

There's a red number bib!

TRENDING THREADS