• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Alcalá de Guadaíra - Marbella 173.7km

Vuelta a España Alcalá de Guadaíra - Marbella 173.7km

mapa2.jpg

2_perfil.gif

Not a bad stage for a stage 2. Heat could play big part.

Hmmmm... It's not very steep, but there's still 1100m of climbing.

Will not be an easy day at the office for the sprinters... I doubt every single one will make it to the line with the first group... Although Cav probably will with the help of his friends.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Finish line is a little bit too far from the descent for mine, so whilst some mad kamikaze rider will attack and try to solo on the descent, he'll be picked up on the run-in from the line. I'd love to see a break do this, but I think Cav will wrap this up.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Finish line is a little bit too far from the descent for mine, so whilst some mad kamikaze rider will attack and try to solo on the descent, he'll be picked up on the run-in from the line. I'd love to see a break do this, but I think Cav will wrap this up.

Part of me makes me wonder if Cav will still be here, as with the heat, and probably attempts from the Spanish teams, and the teams without any GC, or sprinters, hopes trying to really make the race hard. At least, I hope they'll try to make the race hard.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I guess HTC do have Goss as a back up if Cav does get dropped, and a true test would be if Cav is indeed dropped, and HTC have to chase like mad to get him back into the peloton, since the other sprinters teams will be driving like mad so HTC don't get back on, or if they do, they have wasted a lot of energy so HTC will struggle to give him a strong lead-out. But my head is still going for a Cav victory.

Of course Andalucía-Cajasur will be very determined to do put in a strong ride, or even go for the upset victory.

The Hitch said:
Does anyone have a link to the Lequip ratings for the vuelta? Where they give every potential challenger a score out of 5 stars. It was very interesting read when they did it for the giro.

I can't find it but DH said Menchov got 5 stars from them, while the Schlecks and Nibali got 4. Sastre was only given 2. I can't remember the 3 starers, but I'd guess Anton, Mosquera etc....

Cav did the hilly Lombardy week one dayers for prep, so it looks like he can get over these lumps and probably retain red for a further day.
I can't see him making it over the 16km, first cat, tomorrow, though!

Not quite the same as your average Tour sprint stage, is it?
More like a stage where the French go ape sh!t,
chasing the KOM jersey over 5 or 6 catagorised climbs.
In the Vuelta, they get one.:)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Even if he gets over the 1st cat climb tomorrow, the last 1,8km are at 5%, so he wouldnt take the win anyway. I even doubt that it will come down to a mass sprint today, the course definietly gives a lot of reasons to attack.

If Cav does get dropped then Columbia may keep Goss up there to try to keep the jersey as well as go for the sprint. They may want to keep a climber up there too to try and keep it for the day after, ie Siutsou, Peter Velits, van Garderen. Could be an interesting problem if he is quite a way off the back.

Columbia will have to lead the peloton as Cav is in the lead. They will want to keep the break in check but some teams are likely to push the pace on the harder sections to tire Cav out. Apart from the better climbers, ie Freire, Hushovd, we could see teams like Lotto trying to drop the sprinters to give van Avermaet a chance.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Descending skills could come into play today, as the profile suggests the descend ends about 7-8 kms from the finish line. If someone loses 30-45 seconds descending, it could be difficult to get it back.

1. Petacchi
2. Hushovd
3. Freire

Depending on how hard the stage will be - if it's hard enough, Cav, Farrar etc. might be dropped.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Part of me makes me wonder if Cav will still be here, as with the heat, and probably attempts from the Spanish teams, and the teams without any GC, or sprinters, hopes trying to really make the race hard. At least, I hope they'll try to make the race hard.
That's what I am hoping!
Mellow Velo said:
Cav did the hilly Lombardy week one dayers for prep, so it looks like he can get over these lumps and probably retain red for a further day.
I can't see him making it over the 16km, first cat, tomorrow, though!

Not quite the same as your average Tour sprint stage, is it?
More like a stage where the French go ape sh!t,
chasing the KOM jersey over 5 or 6 catagorised climbs.
In the Vuelta, they get one.:)
Yes but the race he was actually with the leaders was bernocchi which was a sprinters race with no hills whatsoever.

prudhomme should take a good look at this stage and try to include more stages like this in the tour.

personally I think Gilbert may have a go along with some riders from andalucia. I think cav and some of the other sprinters may struggle today and some teams will put the hammer down on the climbs. My pick will be Greg van avermaet (i know it is a bit outside the square).

SBS are actually showing a live feed on the net I think with Matt Keenan commentating. If you dislike Harmon you should go with him. He is excellent.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Cav a no brainer?

The question is how much does HTC-Columbia want it? The profile shows a fair amount of downhill so it's a lot more than 1200m of climbing. While teams are unlikely to underestimate this it still is a fair amount of climbing for the second day. So I'll have to go with a breakaway won by a Spanish rider who finished the Tour like Barredo, Sastre, or Anton. but not if they're riding for GC, obviously...

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Break of the day:

Javier Ramirez Abeja (Andalucia)
Mickael Buffaz (Cofidis)
Johnnie Walker (Footon) Named after the whisky? :)
Mickael Delage (Lotto)

They have around two minutes.

Edit: almost five minutes now

TRENDING THREADS