• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 13: September 12 - Berja - Sierra Nevada, 175km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
You know I think Evans will need to follow every attack made by Gesink and Gunego on the lower slopes today - in order to the get rid of this Caisse train for the Sirrea Nevada.

If he lets Caisse do all the chasing than they will be able to conserve there efforts until the last moment, leaving Evans no time to drop him. And I do believe he has to drop him, cause leaving it will the very last moment of a race is always risky, and leaves no room for error. So it's do or die today for everyone...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Buninyong Bunny said:
You know I think Evans will need to follow every attack made by Gesink and Gunego on the lower slopes today - in order to the get rid of this Caisse train for the Sirrea Nevada.

If he lets Caisse do all the chasing than they will be able to conserve there efforts until the last moment, leaving Evans no time to drop him. And I do believe he has to drop him, cause leaving it will the very last moment of a race is always risky, and leaves no room for error. So it's do or die today for everyone...

Evans and Basso have to drop Valverde. The time trial could go to either Valverde or Evans. If Evans gambles all on the TT he's either an idiot or didn't have strength to attack.

Caisse meanwhile taking a leaf out of the Rabobank book of stupid tactics. OK, let's be fair to them, this is nowhere near the monstrous level of tactical stupidity Rabobank tend to exhibit.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If I was Evans, I would not just count on the TT.

In the first TT, he won.. 3 seconds on Valverde
The second TT is hillier, shorter and suits Valverde even more!

At cholet 08 tt, it was a 29km tt and similar course to the final tt in la vuelta. Evans gained a minute on valv. I understand it is different circumstances now but evans is the superior time trialist we must not forget.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
At cholet 08 tt, it was a 29km tt and similar course to the final tt in la vuelta. Evans gained a minute on valv. I understand it is different circumstances now but evans is the superior time trialist we must not forget.

Valverde has a tendency to do fantastically when in time trials when it really matters.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Cadel does have a fair bit of faith in the team for this GT, and they will want to prove the critics wrong that they are a bunch of nobodies. I can't see Cadel leaving it for the TT, he will do something before then. gold jersey on Valverde's back and the home crowd and going for the first GT win, you would think Valverde would pull out a big ride.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
13.gif

High gusts are expected on Sierra Nevada

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
High gusts are expected on Sierra Nevada

Where'd you hear that? I just came in here to post that the TVE reporter that just finished doing the climb by car has reported absolutely no wind from any direction :confused:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
That Sierra Nevada climb was cut short by more than 10 kilometers. The actual climb itself, as it is done in competition, or so I've heard, in Andalucía goes all the way up to 3,400 meters (all paved) and has a total distance of about 43 kilometers. If my memory serves me right... I think it is called Pico Veleta.

I bet my left nut they had to cut it short because, otherwise, some of these cycling pussies wouldn't do the Vuelta.

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
Taaramee has probably been doing the work for Moncoutie. Strong man for the future, the Estonian. Impressed me in the Tour de Suisse. Now how long can Mourenhout hang onto Moncoutie's wheel when they approach the climb?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Where'd you hear that? I just came in here to post that the TVE reporter that just finished doing the climb by car has reported absolutely no wind from any direction :confused:
This comes from la Vuelta website.
Winds: It will blow light from variable directions for the cyclists and with little importance in this journey. The wind could be favourable for the cyclists from the start until the la Ragua High summit. There will be some high gusts in Sierra Nevada.
I was just reporting what was on the website. I don't know old the report was.;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
As far as Valverde goes he has said that he will not attack during the next two stages (this was prior to the Velefique stage, so it includes today's), that it is something the others must do. I presume he is saying that, tactically, all he's gotta do is sit pretty and let the other top contenders to take the initiative.

I personally think Valverde is waiting for the Sierra de la Pandera. Methinks everyone is underestimating that climb because it is only about 9 kilometers long... but you're talking about a climb that gets progressively harder and hits tops of 13% at an altitude of about 1,700 meters, with the last 4 averaging 10-12%. It's like Verbier on steroids.

All I've got to say is good luck.

:eek:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
As far as Valverde goes he has said that he will not attack during the next two stages (this was prior to the Velefique stage, so it includes today's), that it is something the others must do. I presume he is saying that, tactically, all he's gotta do is sit pretty and let the other top contenders to take the initiative.

I personally think Valverde is waiting for the Sierra de la Pandera. Methinks everyone is underestimating that climb because it is only about 9 kilometers long... but you're talking about a climb that gets progressively harder and hits tops of 13% at an altitude of about 1,700 meters, with the last 4 averaging 10-12%. It's like Verbier on steroids.

All I've got to say is good luck.

:eek:

I assure you I'm not underestimating the Sierra de La Pandera. I've been saying all along it's where the larger differences by far will come.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

IMO, Evans ITT ability is actually extermely overrated. Sure, before he became a top class GC rider, he was able to beat all comers convincingly, but nowadays he is only as good as the rest of the guys in the disicpline. Indeed if we got the current time gaps into this year ITT I would still put money on Evans, but he would be a long way from a certainty

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
I assure you I'm not underestimating the Sierra de La Pandera. I've been saying all along it's where the larger differences by far will come.

To be honest with you I never knew Spain had such high caliber climbs in the south. I was under the impresion all the difficult ones were concentrated in the north.

Why on earth did it take the Vuelta officials so long to include the climbs in the southern part of the country?

By the by, I've just found this cool website... http://www.altimetrias.com. Lots of climbs and photographs.

Cool stuff.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
To be honest with you I never knew Spain had such high caliber climbs in the south. I was under the impresion all the difficult ones were concentrated in the north.

Why on earth did it take the Vuelta officials so long to include the climbs in the southern part of the country?

So long? Only the Velefique is new. All the others have been used before :)